zircons gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Col,

How did you tumble them? Do you use a normal lapidary tumbler? What grits did you use? I presume since they're already waterworn they can go straight to very fine grit?

eureka now: zircons are really heavy. In my sieves they always end up sorting with the tin, with the spinel and sapphires around them.

I think zircons have beauty and fire ,and are under estimated these stones cut up simply superb ,and as for ruff show some smick colours with light through em ,love these little fellows ,and dare say I will go to tas and get me a TUB of these!

1389684661_image.jpg

:cool:

eureka wow said:
are they valuable and rare

Not really, they're pretty common and they're a bit too soft for some types of jewelry. As a result they're not hard wearing and not very sought after.

then mine must be a sapphire as its not as heavy and has a shiny complexion and distorted light through it

mfdes said:
Hey Col,

How did you tumble them? Do you use a normal lapidary tumbler? What grits did you use? I presume since they're already waterworn they can go straight to very fine grit?

eureka now: zircons are really heavy. In my sieves they always end up sorting with the tin, with the spinel and sapphires around them.

Mate used my x-mas pressie ;) Lortone 33B which is a normal tumbler used coarse 80 silicone carbide grit for three days just to knock off any rough bits then into a med/fine 220 grit for 7 days, then into Aluminum oxide pre polish for another 7 days then into polish which I let for 9 days. Didn't burnish but I might later on.

Cheers

Col

It is not uncommon to find a ruby within the zircons, $50 and you can be sure with a diamond tester

Latest posts