old gold ring

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markgoldhunter

mark johnston
Reaction score
hi mark here. here is photo's of a really nice ring i found recently at wedderburn vic. wonder if anyone can help with any history. it has bendigo across the top with a shovel, pick and washtub below the hallmarks are an eagle the letters WL and a crown cheers. also i am a newbie and really enjoying this forum well done. mark.

1389138205_imgp3574.jpg
1389138138_imgp3562.jpg

GallicProspector said:
Hi Mark,

very nice find, ring are one of my favorite.
yeah. i was thrilled with this when it came out. easily my best ring find. i forgot to add it weighs 7.4 grams so its quite heavy but does not have any carat rating stamped on it. i supose most rings of this nature would be 18 carat. thanks for the comment .

markgoldhunter said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1958/1389138205_imgp3574.jpghi mark here. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1958/1389138138_imgp3562.jpg here is photo's of a really nice ring i found recently at wedderburn vic. wonder if anyone can help with any history. it has bendigo across the top with a shovel, pick and washtub below the hallmarks are an eagle the letters WL and a crown cheers. also i am a newbie and really enjoying this forum well done. mark.
You might be able to find out more online? There could be some real history there.

hey. thanks for all the links. i have seen the one on the carters site and it looks similar enough to be from the same maker although the hallmarks are different there must be some connection. the other link to wagner and woolett is very interesting and ties in well with the hallmark of W L . so its back to the internet for some more searching. thanks again.mark.

still can't find those hallmarks nor can i find anything about william lambom. so i may have to head for bendigo to ask around there. it will give me a chance to have another swing anyway.

markgoldhunter said:
still can't find those hallmarks nor can i find anything about william lambom. so i may have to head for bendigo to ask around there. it will give me a chance to have another swing anyway.

His name was William Lamborn, not Lambom. Though it's very hard to see in the picture of the article above.

Some things i found

Himself

Mr. William Lamborn, the first manufacturing jeweller
to start business in Victoria.

He took into partnership Mr. Wagner, and became Lamborn and Wagner jewellers Co PTY LTD.

Some family history

27-12-1905
"An old Melbourne identity, in the person of William Lamborn, passed away at his residence, Currajong, Hawthorn, on Sunday last, at the age of 80. The late Mr. Lamborn arrived in Melbourne during the forties, and commenced business as a manufacturing jeweller in Queen-street, subsequently taking into partnership a Mr. Wagner (since deceased). The business grew into a thriving concern, and was continued by Lamborn and Wagner until they handed it over to Mr. Lamborn's sons. Mr. Lamborn reared a large family. Alderman G. T. Clarke and Messrs. J. N. S. Clarke, J. J. Clarke, and A. E. Clarke are nephews of the deceased."

Eldest son

20-12-1881
"LAMBORNROBISON.On the 14th inst., at Harcourt, street, Hawthorn, by the Rev. A. Gosman, William Joseph, eldest son of William Lamborn, of Lamborn and Wagner, jewellers, Melbourne, to Agnes, eldest daughter of James M. Robison, of Robison Brothers and Co., engineers, Melbourne."

Son

"Mr Albert M. Lamborn. Mr Albert M. Lamborn, watchmaker, has died at the age of 85. He was the son of the late William Lamborn, who arrived in Melbourne in 1852 and established the first manufacturing jewellery business in the city. In his youth Mr Albert Lamborn was apprenticed to T. Gaunt and Co Pty Ltd as a watchmaker. Later he joined the firm of James McBean and Sons, and before his retirement conducted his own business at York House, Little Collins st. He has left a daughter (Mrs C. P. Shugg) and three sons. Hal, Ivor, and Roy"

Maybe a good idea to get in touch with the National gallery of Australia as they have one of their pieces(a brooch) on display they bought in 1989. I'm sure they would be interested to see it.. maybe can help
http://cs.nga.gov.au/Detail.cfm?IRN=118405

some more from carters, but from lamborn and wagner
http://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm...ortrait-brooch-by-william-lamborn-and-leopol/
http://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm...-and-gold-floral-brooch-by-william-lamborn-a/

Their Hallmarks seem to be L&W and also marked with a crown, so maybe you have an original William Lamborn piece before he became partners with Leopold Wagner... who knows.

Anyway, hope that helps

thanks bez, spelling the name right makes all the difference, that info is very interesting and the links surely suggest lamborn is the maker. i will contact the national gallery to see what else they come up with. i am thinking lamborn may have made this ring before his partnership with wagner [ 1858 - 1885 ] because of the hallmark, and at age 60 after the partnership may have been to old for such fine work. thanks for other comments to .

William Lamborn is my ancestor. He learnt his trade in London before coming to Australia in 1852. He worked for Wagner and Woollett. Before branching out on his own in 1854 later joining with Leopold Wagner. He retired from the business in 1882 but it was continued by his sons. What a great find. Hope this helps.

alison that is amazing. so if i have this timeline correct did he work for wagner & woolett from 1852 - 1854 possibly producing the 'carters ballarat ' ring stamped W&W in this time, then by himself 1854 - 1858 producing my ring stamped W.L. and then 1858 - 1882 in partnership with leopold wagner? and further to all this is there any chance you would have any means of finding out whom it was made for?

Hi Mark Sorry but I don't have any other details that might help you. I think that your surmise that the ring was made before William went out on his own is probably correct. Possibly made for a prospector who found the nugget. :)

nice find, wow didn't expect people to be able to provide so much information on that ring.

Latest posts