Building a large capacity High-banker - Instructional video

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great video Wal.. Right up until the last 45 seconds when u said "I'm not going to build one for you". :p

Looks like I'm going on a bear hunt today!!

Hey Wal,

A mate and I have just finished making your walbanker - thanks heaps for the vid - though we made it just before you posted diemensions etc - It is pretty close (see pic)

I noticed yesterday when coming back to the forum your post about the mesh needing to be in a 1:4 ratio, but the only stuff i could find was 2 cm high - should i leave this in and see how it goes?

now to get the pump!

...dave

1371614359_our_walbanker.jpg

Looking great Dave, The high mesh will tend to block but will still be OK for Sapphire areas. I would get some standard 1cm sloped expanded and cut them the same size as the Catwalk.

This way you can interchange them and use the "standard expanded" for gold only streams and the "Catwalk" for Sapphires. If the Catwalk blocks send me a PM and i'll get you some of the smaller size.

You also need to cut out more of those squares. Only leave a few squares along the edges for strength and make the whole of the inside section into rectangles.

Not so critical which direction they face. The small squares will fill with heavies, and not have enough water surface area to pull the gravel to the next chamber.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks Wal and Balx

will definitely cut more of the squares out - it was really difficult to see the pattern and how many on the vid - but the template on the other post makes it really clear.

Yep, will PM you I think if that's okay wal, when i get another couple of posts up - the guy who got me the 2cm stuff reckons that after he took it off the catwalk at the building site, a guy fell through the hole later that day.

I think he's joking :)

Balx, i'm in Pakenham - so may see you out gippy way one day.

...dave

If anybody wants the walkway mesh featured in this design, please PM me as I have it at work, in 13mm thick x 600mm wide I'm in Brissy and can cut you some offcuts to whatever width you require, not too much though as the boys won't be too happy seeing their beer money walking out of the scrap bin LOL

I too will be making one of these awsome design high banker as soon as my mate gets out of hospital from his brain operation and can help me with the folding etc.

Also wal would tgis design of the ally mesh and bread crate in the base also work for a regular mid creek sluice? or are traditional riffles or drop riffles more suited for that?

As I am looking to make my first sluice would of construction ply and use a router to make the drop riffles in it just as a cheap and nasty setup to get started

Wal, you say it's a high flow design, would it be possibly to get away with using a bilge pump setup for when a petrol pump cannot be used? Or for people building a budget buster model and don't have/want to spend the $200+ on a petrol pump

Joe, you can get a 3700gph bilge for $60 or a 5.5hp petrol pump for $100 on ebay, Also i use the bread crate in my power sluice with a 2000gph bilge and it works great. Goodluck.

BrisJoe said:
Wal, you say it's a high flow design, would it be possibly to get away with using a bilge pump setup for when a petrol pump cannot be used? Or for people building a budget buster model and don't have/want to spend the $200+ on a petrol pump

G'day Joe,

You can use a Bilge pump on the river sluice version if the water flow is too low. Your best running it with a spray bar arrangement at the head of the river sluice to get an equal flow rate over the full width of the sluice.

cheers Wal.

Will a bilge pump be able to get enough pressure going to use your spray pipe design? or does the petrol pump really come into it's own with this?

BrisJoe said:
Will a bilge pump be able to get enough pressure going to use your spray pipe design? or does the petrol pump really come into it's own with this?

A petrol pump is far superior when it comes to a Hi-banker which processes large amounts of wash. A "River Sluice" working in a low flow or "Nil" flow area can be supported by a bilge pump to get enough flow for successful sluicing.

A "Spray Bar" across the flanged section of the sluice will regulate the water speed needed to run the box. The slots in the spray bar can be several cm apart to get uniform spray across the full width of the sluice. You're only after volume not pressure so larger slots will work best.

The idea of the spray bar is to get even water volume across the catch zone only, and replicate what normal stream flow would do.....Happy sluicing,

Cheers Wal.

Looks great Steve, but better keep an eye on those sharp edges, maybe some rubber trip from Clark Rubber might save your fingers in the future?

Latest posts