Building a large capacity High-banker - Instructional video

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey wal i have the same crate as you do for the middle riffles , i have also found an older crate with much larger and deeper diamond patter on the bottom and i rekon it could replace the roof mesh that you use . might just give it a try save chasing up the alluminium roof mesh .

johno

should add these crates that i have ( had ) are non returnable . 2 belonged to a shop that closed down ( well burned down actually ) and never re opened , and were melted on one end . and the other is a different type used on mates trawler and fell victim to a forklift .

The catwalk mesh is by far the best....if you like i have quite a bit spare and can post some up to you. Measure the size you need and PM me with your details and i can send some up. You really need to have the curved mesh to get the vortexes working properly....Cheers Wal. :)

thanks very much for the offer wal . but i will be in toowoomba on wednesday , i will get the ally sheet then and have a look around a few places for the ally grating .
dont know the size yet .

johno

If u have trouble get in touch after you build the box and have some dimensions .....always have some lying around here...Cheers Wal. :)

Wal, i can get stainless steel for next to nothing, and can do all folding and welding,
what are the disadvantages of stainless over ally on a highbanker? have you used ally purely because its lighter?

Hi Tagalt...mainly use it for the weight value and softer edges....less chance of nicks and cuts.....plus cheaper to get welded....most guys with tig welders charge a fair bit. If your going to use stainless I'd make sure that they put a 10mm crush fold on all the exposed edges.....cheers Wal. :)

Hi Tagalt. I built my first H/Banker out of 1.2mm stainless. Only because i had the sheet available.
Its turned out to be a good unit but [as Wal mentioned ] I had to dress the edges [ too much blood on the mats]
Its a bit heavy to carry as a complete unit so i've broken it down into 3 pieces. The stand,sluice and hopper.
You can run as much material as you want through it
at the moment im building an ally one. Intended to be carried on your back just like Wals beauty.

imag0253od.jpg

Still trying to work out how to post pics properly.
This is the unit on its first test-run. Near completion
Hope it helps

Hey ChrisM, instead of directly posting the imagshack url into the post, click on the {Image} button and paste it into the URL section then click OK, this will wrap image tags around the link and display it correctly :D

Hi Tagalt....mainly use alloy for the weight advantage. Stainless would still be OK but make sure you crush fold all the exposed edges as stainless can cause lots of nicks and cuts if left raw edged. Really no advantage in using stainless as the aluminium one will be durable enough to last pretty well a life time....Cheers Wal. :)

Awesome Video Wal. Thank you so much.
By far the most educational vid I've seen on how to build a HB and WHY you built it that way.
I enjoy to build things from recycled or use discarded items for a new purpose.
They don't always look pretty but get the job done :)

You have given us all some great info.

Thanks again

Rod

Thanks Wal, great video. I am getting into the highbanker as soon as I can get back out, you have spurred me on to do more of it. Thanks again for the video. Cheers, Rick.

Glad you enjoyed the vid Rod....hope some aspects of it can be useful for you if your Hi-Banking....I can't stress enough how important portability is these days....we are unfortunately about 150 years too late to be getting all the easy stuff. There is however still some good looking colour to be had for the bloke who is prepared to hike a K or 2....Cheers Wal :)

Thanks Wal , great inspiration to many. I am certainly going to use some of these idea's for mine that I'm building at present.

So happy. I finally found the bread crate. Took me a little while. Now to finish my metal box and other riffles I should be magic I made it a little wider so we can process for a fair while before we clean it out. I will post some pictures after once it's all done.

hey wal just thought i would tell you , that ally roof walkway mesh stuff is worth a heck of a lot more than you may think .
tracked some down and managed to get 1 mtr cut off a length that an engineering workshop had . but to buy new from the big smoke its $305 a 3.5 mtr length .
so if anyone gets a chance at some cheap or for nix i would recomend they grab it for a rainy day further down the track .

johno

my high banker is under construction . a lot like yours but not identical .
i will be running it with a honda 6hp 2inch pump for the first little while cos i have a few of them . just untill i get a smaller pump .this bigger pump is way to heavy to carry any distance but it will do for now , probably only have it at a fast idle i would think .

Hi Johno .....If there's any guys on the forum who need a bit they can PM me and i can get it for them for the cost of the postage only. My company deals with commercial roofs and i can access plenty of off cuts as we throw most offcuts to the tip....Commercial roofers in your area are the guys to talk to as when they lay them on the roof there is always off cuts that they can't use. Don't talk to engineering companies as they usually only have full sheets and would be reluctant to cut them....Don't be shy to ask as we throw pieces away quite often....Cheers Wal. :)

Texta I found some mesh the right roofing catwalk mesh at robot trading for $110 for 3500mm x600mm biggest problem I have is what the hell am I going to do with the other 2.5 meters and getting it in the car..

Latest posts