Building a large capacity High-banker - Instructional video

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an excellent educational video Wal, while back I have milked my brains to make a HB for sapphires as there was nothing commercial available (small scale) to get ideas from. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. Regards Joe

Thanks Joe...there's many configurations for high bankers that work quite well....mine is just the one that I've developed over 40 years dredging and high banking and it works efficiently for me. Hope you might get something useful out of it if your building a banker for yourself. Sorry about the wind noise...should have picked a calm day.....didn't factor in "murphys Law "....Cheers Wal. :)

Amazing video as always Wal.

You don't leave anything out like some of the other videos I've seen so thank you for that. I'm hoping to build something like this over the next couple of months and your video has given me some great ideas, especially when it comes to materials. Keep up the fantastic work mate and thank you for the double mention, you're a knowledgeable and respected member here for sure :D

g,day to everyone , newbie to this forum .
and already i have a question for you wal, could you tell me what pump you have found to work best in the sluice you are using in the above video. thanks in advance great video by the way , you have got me rethinking the sluice i am part way through building .

johno

Great vid Wal. Very informative. Where do you get you aluminium sheet for the sluice and is there a special tool to bend it? Looks great it has a damn good process rate before it has to be cleaned also. I laughed with the plugs for the forum good work. The more people sharing the ideas the better we are all off. Look forward to some more vids.

Got to give him a prospecting Australia forum tee shirt to wear in his videos.

I'm actually already planning on designing some shirts, hats and stickers a little down the track, Wal will be one of the first to receive one I think ;)

Thanks for the comments guys....only thought I'd pass on some pointers to shortcut the learning curve for some of the less experienced and get them off to a better start on the gold. Lots of guys have their own ideas and lots of systems work quite well. The principals in this vid have served me well for 40 years now and seeing I'm from the old school...."why fix if it ain't broke ".....Sorry for the wind noise in the vid ....I blame Liz for that cause she dragged me down the river without first checking the weather....but don't tell her that. ...Cheers Wal :)

texta said:
g,day to everyone , newbie to this forum .
and already i have a question for you wal, could you tell me what pump you have found to work best in the sluice you are using in the above video. thanks in advance great video by the way , you have got me rethinking the sluice i am part way through building .

johno

Hi Johno...I run a HondaWX15...it's a 4 stroke and runs all day on the smell of an oily rag. 4 strokes are a lot quieter and even though they cost a little more they last a lot longer than the 2 strokes. Save your pennies and get the best pump you can afford as they are the ..."Heart " of the bankers. Shouldn't take you long to recover the cost with the gold you find.....Cheers Wal. :)

Hi Nugget....more than happy to wear a Prospecting Australia shirt on future vids....might make me look a bit more professional.....Cheers Wal :)

Newbie said:
Great vid Wal. Very informative. Where do you get you aluminium sheet for the sluice and is there a special tool to bend it? Looks great it has a damn good process rate before it has to be cleaned also. I laughed with the plugs for the forum good work. The more people sharing the ideas the better we are all off. Look forward to some more vids.

G'day Newbie....The aluminium sheet can be sourced from many places....the best is usually from roofing supply shops and they can fold it up for you on their benders quite cheaply.....just talk to any of your nearby commercial roofers and they may even have some spare catwalk mesh lying around.....Cheers Wal. :)

for what its worth i priced alluminium sheet today over the phone from a metal joint in toowoomba .
2400 x 1200 in 1.2mm = $75 per sheet
in 1.6mm = $91 per sheet
not to bad i though it would be more than that .
you may be able to shop around and get it a bit cheaper than that but that gives a rough idea .

johno

should add .... i would think you would need at least the 1.6mm stuff maybe even the next one up which i should think would be 2mm but the place i rang didnt carry it .

Hi johno....1.2 is plenty strong enough. With a 1200 x2400 sheet you could build 4 high bankers ...a lot of places will sell half sheets....also check out some of the scrap metal joints......Cheers Wal. :)

ok thanks wal , but i would get the full sheet anyway . you can never have to much metal and stuff on hand for building something and i have no doubt i would use the rest of the sheet for some thing .

johno

Cheers Wal, I'll have a hunt around. I found a pretty good guy on Ebay who will make me up the box for me I think at a pretty reasonable rate. I will just have to make the riffle design myself. I really like your zag riffles already keeping my eye out for a bread carrier. I'll get my pump pretty cheaply which is a good thing as my old man owns a pump company I just need this box and then the time to use it. Hoping to have it in by the March long weekend. Keen to get back to Beechworth hoping to find a few gemstones this time not just gold.

G'day Newby....won't take you long to chase up an old bread crate.....and having the old man with a pump company is a real winner. Beechworth will be a great spot for the banker and not too many bankers can handle the super fine flour gold in that area. Not sure where around Beechworth you go ..but i tried Ready creek while passing through at xmas and the sapphires were pretty hard to find...and only microscopic.....you may have a better spot than Ready Creek.....best of luck and i'm looking forward to the pics of the area.....Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts