Mineral Help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie123

harold
Reaction score
I have broken a large piece of black spinel from Grabben gullen and it looks like black glass, While in Different creek I have found spinel and also a smaller, smoother, silver sheened black stone, but when breaking one, they shine like silver mirror, If anyone knows what this might be, other wise will have to wait for lappidary after holidays

I will try post picture tonight if I can get on good angle, on the tester its little softer than normal spinel

Maybe do a streak test and see if it's Magnetic also, there are quite a few minerals in the "Spinel Group". But should narrow the gap. Black Spinel has a clear streak, Magnetite Black and Hematite Reddy Brown.

I have tried to upload photos but the forum says invalid url, I have sized the photos down to 100kb, and still no go, not sure what to do now

Mirror like... could be any of a number of things. I can think different spinels, mica, cassiterite, black sapphire...

I have sized my photos down to 80 kb, and the limit is 1.2 mb, prospecting australia say file to big, not happy

1389082952_jesus.jpg

Latest posts