Newbie to Reedy creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys
Seeing as this is my first post on this Forum I thought I'd tell you a bit about my self. My son and I often travel across Victoria in search of gold and love doing so. We are located in Melbourne therefore have already panned in Warrendyte as well as Daylesford and Creswick with some descent results. We have been doing this for the past couple of years together and just recently acquire ourselves a pump so that we could finally use the high banker that I made. It uses a fluid bed rather then the usual high banker that uses carpets, this helps with black sand problems as well as catching even the smallest spes.
This week we will be traveling up to Eldorado and staying at Gemstone caravan park for a couple of nights. We will greatly appreciate it if someone could give us a helping hand as we have very little knowledge of the area seeing as we have never been there before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
The Dingo

Hey there Dingo. I was up there new years day. Been there a couple times now. YOu'll get fine gold right along the creek there is a road that follows the creek the whole way from basically Elderado to beechworth. I too live in Melbourne and been to the aforementioned places. If your happy with the results at the others Eldarado will have you planning a trip back soon.

Your looking for gemstones to We pulled out a 80crt topaz new years day so watch your tailings carefully any rock thats seems see through through semi see thru put in your pocket. I have found that the gemstones are East of kangeroo crossing. Go past the miners huts location an keep going another km you should be on top of good ground. small sapphires as well but you get a lot of smoky quartz and quartz crystals.

Good luck...

Hi Dingoman, would be great to see a vid of your banker in action.. I haven't seen the "floating" method before, I drove past the eldorado turn off on Saturday and made a note to self that I must get out there and have a scratch around :)
Best of luck and welcome to PA.

Cheers RR

Hi Dingo
I was out that way the other day ..creek only barely running but plenty of fine stuff. I was keeping an eye out for another forum member SWright but didn't end up catching up. I panned quite a few spots...found the best deposits where the larger cricket ball sized dark rocks were in the creek. I was about a mile downstream of kangaroo crossing. There were a few people about including where I was planning to go but good to look over some new ground. It will be interesting to see how the highbanker goes there. I have found it difficult to separate the gold from the black sand especially in the +/- 30 range as the gold is very thin and flaky and generally I seem to find better deposits where the black sand is a little coarser. Its easier to pan the chunky stuff and separate from the black sand but the fine Eldorado gold is painful. Yackandandah creek might have some bigger pieces...worth a try if you have the time.
Cheers Dave

Just got back last night from Eldorado and spent this morning cleaning the gold that I had found. Unfortunately for my high banker it never the left the back of my car as for the two days I was there I couldn't find a place where I needed it. Ironically the very first place I parked my car on Woolsheds Rd to have a look at the creek and maybe do a test pan or two was the place I worked for the time I was there as on my very first pan of Reedy Creek I managed to pull over 100 pieces from a narrow crevice in the creek bed. The crevice was long, deep but very narrow and to simply get a handful of material took what seemed to be forever but it payed of as there where hundreds of tiny specs per handful. Later in the day my son said he noticed some gold in the jagged bedrock the made the crevice we were working, he used the trusty sniffer bottle and surprised me when he emptied it into the pan and showed my over hundred flakes in th pan. Out of sheer curiosity we stopped working the crevice a bit earlier to drive down further on Woolsheds Rd to find a spot where we could use our high banker but couldn't seem to find another spot even close to as good as the crevice. So, the next day we went back to the same crevice just a short drive from Gemstone caravan park and continued cleaning it. Although most of the gold had already came out there was still more at the very bottom of the crevice. After spending a few more hours polishing the bedrock we decided it was time for the long drive back to Melbourne. Cleaning the gold from the blacksand took us forever this morning as we had almost half a bucket of pure blacksand. The final weigh-in surprised us both when the scales tipped to 1.46 grams. All in all it was a wonderful trip and definitely put a couple smiles on us :)

1389326719_gold_el1.jpg

1389326755_p1102903.jpg

1389326790_olive.jpg

G'Day all

Just got back from Eldorado today after a little over a week prospecting the creek. I ran into Balx with his "tin Lids" just below Kangaroo Crossing but no one else from the forum. He was well into the exploitation of his open cut mining operation behind a giant boulder and doing well from all the fine gold I saw in his mat. there is gold all through the creek but some areas have some massive amounts of grey clay. I ended up with about 1/4 of an ounce (need to clean it up first). It looks great but because its very fine it is probably not all that much.

I met a local old timer that has been working the creek every day on and off for ten or twenty years. That was well and truely worth it. He brought over a small finishing pan covered to about 2 or 3 mil with gold totalling around an ounce. I asked how long did it take to get all that from Reedy and he told me, after a little thought, "most of last Thursday". He did not tell me where his spot was.

I think I also got a small diamond but have yet to look closly as I forgot to take my glass with me. If you spend the time I recon that Reedy will continue to pay for a long time. Met another local who recently bought a B&B in town. according to those around the place he payed for not ony the house but his original property and all its improvements with the gold he got on the place. If a creek can pay that well I for one are hugely impressed. I will be going back there as soon as I can get leave again. But I can tell you that the last couple of days were HOT!! and this next week will be no time to be anywhere outside of a good air conditioned room.

Araluen

Looks like I missed out on all the fun!!

Dingoman 1.46g for a couple of days digging is fantastic going for someone that doesn't really know the area. There are still some great pockets of gold still hiding about that place. Most people just smash heaps of material through the highbank in leiu of find really rich (40+ specs per pan) spots. You did great to find a spot showing so much color in the pan. Its a bummer I didn't catch your post earlier as that's an area I do frequent a bit.

SWright sounds like you did ok up there as well, a gram a day is reasonable effort. I'm guessing you were highbanking? Did you find you had to move around a bit to get the gold or did you just park it and smash one spot?

I've got the gold envy, but hopefully the pump will turn up tomorrow, got all my hoses and stuff sorted today, and with a set of legs on my banker I'll be back up Beechworth \ Eldorado this weekend myself!

Hi Elbowgrease

I started off picking a likely looking spot and did some test pans. I ended up with three or four flakes everywhere I did a test. So set up the banker and let rip. After my bettery gave up the ghost - too little charge and dirty terminals - I ended up with a respectable tail of gold in my pan after cleaning up. Then what to do with the rest of the day I asked myself. I then got way to the bottom of a crevice that someone else had tried to clean out and ended up after the first pan with more gold than I did from highbanking. I stuck to crevicing from then on.

The old timer I mentioned before said he no longer bothered with a banker and got over an ounce from crevicing in one day. I wish I could find his spot.

Araluen

SWright said:
Hi Elbowgrease

I started off picking a likely looking spot and did some test pans. I ended up with three or four flakes everywhere I did a test. So set up the banker and let rip. After my bettery gave up the ghost - too little charge and dirty terminals - I ended up with a respectable tail of gold in my pan after cleaning up. Then what to do with the rest of the day I asked myself. I then got way to the bottom of a crevice that someone else had tried to clean out and ended up after the first pan with more gold than I did from highbanking. I stuck to crevicing from then on.

The old timer I mentioned before said he no longer bothered with a banker and got over an ounce from crevicing in one day. I wish I could find his spot.

Araluen

There is some good ground to be found but it tends to be down deep, most people who work that area generally are working deposits in the upper layers which contain predominantly flood gold. I've tried a bit of crevicing and done OK but never great, I guess the likelihood of finding big gold is so remote the mentality is to just try and find reasonable ground and move massive quantities. Because the gold is so small I normally try and find spots producing at least 10 - 15 specs per pan minimum and ideally 20+.

Regardless any gold is good gold and you won't see me chucking it back in no matter how big or small the quantity is, sounds like you had a great time and got some good gold to boot!

Cheers
Adam

Hi guys , would love to give my hi banker a whirl there , I don't want to put a damper on this subject but isn't reedy creek on the exempted list, I want to try Victoria but this list does my head in :(

Tige said:
Hi guys , would love to give my hi banker a whirl there , I don't want to put a damper on this subject but isn't reedy creek on the exempted list, I want to try Victoria but this list does my head in :(
From woolshed falls on its legal, well tolerated anyway to many tourist dollars to ban it.

Balx said:
Tige said:
From woolshed falls on its legal, well tolerated anyway to many tourist dollars to ban it.

Go read the whole Vic Miner's Right FAQ (yes the whole thing not just the list of exempted waterways) all will become clear :)

Yes Reedy Creek is on the list, but YES IT IS DEFINITELY LEGAL TO PROSPECT ON REEDY CREEK so long as you are within the specified boundaries.

spent a few hours panning near kangeroo crossing yesterday while the mrs was working [haha] there was not alot of flow where i was , found about 30 specks which being new to the area was good enough , there was nothing of much size but enough to keep interested , i did find a spot where someone had recently dug a long way into the bank so id presume they found more than me to go through the effort they did , i was basically just digging in the creek and a bit of crevassing . I have only been to reedys ck a few times but always find color , enough to think to build a sluice and get a bit more serious , great excuse for a camp out anyway. I love the ne vic , ive found some nice little bits at morses ck near bright but got married recently and relocated to the wang area so eldarado is only 20 mins drive and plenty of nice spots to camp .

snowman said:
spent a few hours panning near kangeroo crossing yesterday while the mrs was working [haha] there was not alot of flow where i was , found about 30 specks which being new to the area was good enough , there was nothing of much size but enough to keep interested , i did find a spot where someone had recently dug a long way into the bank so id presume they found more than me to go through the effort they did , i was basically just digging in the creek and a bit of crevassing . I have only been to reedys ck a few times but always find color , enough to think to build a sluice and get a bit more serious , great excuse for a camp out anyway. I love the ne vic , ive found some nice little bits at morses ck near bright but got married recently and relocated to the wang area so eldarado is only 20 mins drive and plenty of nice spots to camp .

Welcome to P.A. Snowman.
Jaros :p

yeah mate im going there on the 5/7/19 for 3 nights no 4wd though got pans equinox 800 hopefully will find something anybody know where to search kinda a newbie so need some help

Latest posts