What should I buy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what type of gold detector I should buy? I want something that is decent enough to actually find gold, but I don't think that I actually need the best money can buy... any input would be muchly appreciated :)

Budget is a big factor, how much are you willing to spend on a detector, under or over $500? If looking around old workings, a high frequency detector may be the go, but if you are intending to find larger gold at depth, something with a lower frequency or a cheaper PI detector may do the job, alternatively, buy a detector with a high and low frequency budget doesn't extend to a PI detector.

If looking below $500 second hand, you will knock out detectors like the AT Gold, Lobo Supertraq, AT Pro, all three Fisher Gold Bug detectors, the White GMT/MXT/MXT Pro and Minelab Eureka/x-terra 705 or 70. The pick of the bunch for fine gold close to the surface would be Gold Bug2, GMT and Eureka, the rest will go deeper due to lower frequency of around 18kHz. All rounder detectors that offer more than one frequency may include the Eureka and X-terra 705/70, but the X-terras are limited to 18.75kHZ on their higher frequncy coil.

If under $500, the choices may include the Whites GM2/VSAT/GM3, first version of the Tesoro Lobo or Diablo 2, first version of the Fisher Goldbug, Fisher Goldstrike, Minelab FT1600, XT17000, XT18000 and Garrett Scorpion. Once again, the Whites detectors excel on small gold with their high frequencies, with best picks being the detectors with adjustable SAT controls (VSAT, GM3). The XT18000 would be a good buy if you can find one with the same freqencies as the Eureka (6.4, 20, 60kHZ). The Diablo/Lobo/Scorpion run lower to midrange frequencies for better depth, but less sensitivity to small gold.

Other things to factor in are current availavility of coils and spares, costs of repair services - will it be serviced here or in the US (or will the manufacturer touch it at all), whether you prefer manual or auto ground balancing, what extra functions you would like -signal boost, salt settings, iron or junk discrimination, weight, the number of batteries that you require each time you go out to keep the detector going, ability to hip mount, and so on.

Also if looking below $1000, some PI detectors come into play, including the Minelab SD2000, 2100, and the Garrett Infinium, which will all be good on mid to large nuggets at depth, but not so good on sub gram nuggets.

Looking abroad, you are starting to see some of the more expensive detectors come down in pricing, with infiniums, GB2, GMT, MXT, and Lobos going for around the $500-650 mark, if willing to shop around for second hand units on Ebay.us. Other detectors mentioned are cheaper again. :)

Hi Ziggy

I've been looking myself and the range of brands and models is numerous and a bit daunting at first. I decided on my budget first ($500-$999) as I wanted to also get something a bit decent as the best are just too far above what I can afford ($1,000-$6,500).

The two I came up with are the AT Gold ($650) and the Minelab xterra 705 ($850). The choice of whether to add another coil to these is something I have not yet made my mind up about. As I want to incourage the wife to get involved I thought I would buy a second cheaper detector (around $350 I'm thinking), with a different type of coil to whatever I choose above.

Much may depend on the ground where you intend to detect as to the choice of coil and also whether you may chase coins and relics as well.

Sorry I can't offer you more at the moment mate but check out some of the discussions on detectors in the forums by more experience members. There is a lot of information there and if you're prepared to do a bit of searching you might just discover your preference.

Cheers

Lam

Yea i was looking at the mine lab eureaka today on the net at around 1200.. I dont mind paying that, but i really want bang for my buck! Would that be the best one to buy for my price?? Or is there cheaper out there that are the equilivant or better than the eureaka?

hi ziggy
qld sandy at gold city detector in charters towers qld is selling a sd2100 with heaps of extras
6mths warrenty and im pretty sure free postage for 1500 if you are interested type in goldcity detectors in your search engine the 2100 were and still are a good detector
pretty good on large nuggets at depth I still use a sd 2000 (mod) I found some decent gold with it hopes this helps
kind regards
mick

You should also have a look at the Whites GMT and AT Gold, both similarly priced, although the Eureka is quite versatile with 3 seperate frequencies. Don't seem to hear about too many finds with the Eureka, moreso with the GoldBug 2 and GMT, whether that is down to the number of units being used out there, or areas they are being used in, I don't know.

GP extreme is the one mate!

proven on gold down to a gram and around 2K second hand, ring around places like coiltek or miners den to see if they have a decent second hand one

cheers

Laurie

Research the Teknertics G2 and get a 5" nel coil for it. You could use this for parks as well.

Make sure your not swinging it slowly as this machine is fast and has dual processors, a meter to
read the ground mineralisation and fast iron unmasking/discrimination.

The Gold Bug Pro and Gold Bug Pro DP are similar. I purchased my G2 with gray ghost headphones, detector
bag and lesche digger from the USA for $750 US a week ago.

You could get this one modded I should expect .

micks nugget said:
hi ziggy
qld sandy at gold city detector in charters towers qld is selling a sd2100 with heaps of extras
6mths warrenty and im pretty sure free postage for 1500 if you are interested type in goldcity detectors in your search engine the 2100 were and still are a good detector
pretty good on large nuggets at depth I still use a sd 2000 (mod) I found some decent gold with it hopes this helps
kind regards
mick

Latest posts