Nice 5kg Snapper

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Coupla firsts to kick off 2014:

1. Went Snapper fishing using only soft plastic lures
2. Caught my first Snapper - got 2 in the 1-1.5kg range then snagged the 5kg one pictured getting the best fish of the day (much to the disgust of my brother & his mate - both keen fishermen)
3. The Snapper was also my best/biggest fish ever caught for a targeted species I.e. have caught bigger stuff but not things that you would chase or want for a feed

Very good start to 2014 & hope the run of firsts continues when I get back out detecting. :D

Thanks - be nice to get a 5kg nugget to go with it :lol: in reality would be stoked with a 5+ grammer this year but any gold will be good.

Thanks Heatho - was gonna try getting back out again but the weathers not looking good. Looks like it will be the "trophy" fish of the trip :lol: Bout time I rolled my bro fishin'.

Great fish mate, at 5 KG should just fit in the weber kettle.
Yum

Thanks Redfin. Would have been great in the Webber but being on holidays had to make do with the facilities we had available. Unfortunately it ended up filleted, would have preferred to cook whole, but was still very nice eating lightly crumbed & shallow fried. Very yummy.

Nice fish mbasko, they are great fun on light gear. Pull like steam trains.

Yeah Willo they do. Was great fun to catch on the soft plastic & light set up. Thought it was gonna beat me at one stage.

A dead snapper looks no where near as good as a healthy live one!
Were these caught on a charter? Port stevens area?
Too many people keeping these big breeding snapper these days. The poor buggers are a sucker for soft plastics.

Trust me when i say the feeling of going out targeting them, catching a cracking fish and getting some photos before setting it free is so much better than having it in your esky.
The plate size reds are fine to keep one or two occasionally.
Just my opinion.
Reeko

Jeez lucky your not writing the NSW fishing laws or we'd all be fishing for tadpoles in a muddy puddle! :lol:
I pay my fishing license fee & follow the rules set. What we kept that day was well below what we could have (10 snapper each in NSW). I think we kept 8 between the 3 of us.
It wasn't on a charter. The last charter I went on, some 15 odd years ago, didn't use light gear. They want ya to catch em not lose em. We were using light gear & actually lost a few good ones. Don't know how that matters though? If someone is wanting to get out there & that's the only way good for them.
For the record there have been much bigger breeders caught there & released. Up to & over 8kg.
I know you're just stating your opinion but why not put your opinion into some real fisheries issues & not some broad sided swipe at a few blokes enjoying a far to rare chance for a day out on the blue water? By the way the two blokes I went with, 1 my brother, are both avid recreational fishermen. They target different fish at different times of the year & in different spots; not to fill the esky but as their sport. They use light tackle, the sport thing, & my brother even makes his own wooden + resin lures to try out. They work well too - just ask the bass around the Hunter :D .
By the way it was delicious & our share fed a family gathering of about 12 people so definitely wasn't wasted.
My opinion - can't see a problem if you are fishing & keeping within the rules. There are plenty that don't so go pick on some other bugger :p

I took 3 flathead to 670mm
And a bream at 39cm today
And guess what
It was below me take for the day
And they tasted awesome :D

mbasko said:
Jeez lucky your not writing the NSW fishing laws or we'd all be fishing for tadpoles in a muddy puddle! :lol:
I pay my fishing license fee & follow the rules set. What we kept that day was well below what we could have (10 snapper each in NSW). I think we kept 8 between the 3 of us.
It wasn't on a charter. The last charter I went on, some 15 odd years ago, didn't use light gear. They want ya to catch em not lose em. We were using light gear & actually lost a few good ones. Don't know how that matters though? If someone is wanting to get out there & that's the only way good for them.
For the record there have been much bigger breeders caught there & released. Up to & over 8kg.
I know you're just stating your opinion but why not put your opinion into some real fisheries issues & not some broad sided swipe at a few blokes enjoying a far to rare chance for a day out on the blue water? By the way the two blokes I went with, 1 my brother, are both avid recreational fishermen. They target different fish at different times of the year & in different spots; not to fill the esky but as their sport. They use light tackle, the sport thing, & my brother even makes his own wooden + resin lures to try out. They work well too - just ask the bass around the Hunter :D .
By the way it was delicious & our share fed a family gathering of about 12 people so definitely wasn't wasted.
My opinion - can't see a problem if you are fishing & keeping within the rules. There are plenty that don't so go pick on some other bugger :p
Well said, well fished and well eaten. Well I hope you can do it again some time. I fish the reefs in NQ and if I catch enough to last my family for a few feeds, I am happy as you are. Like you say there are a lot of people just out to rape and pillage. So good on the people who do it right. :)

mbasko said:

Yeah I suppose your lucky I'm not writing the rules because I would make them so these big breeding fish are to be thrown back, just like the law regarding female crabs/lobster.
There's no prob in keeping a feed, but the laws are behind the times- could you imagine keeping 30 snapper just because your not breaking the law? Some clowns do it :rolleyes:
Not picking on you mbasko just letting you know that a few pics and watching them swim off is a great feeling.

hey guys you should not begrudge a taking home a feed of fish . check the "trawler trash " from any pro boat and you would cry at the number of undersize dead fish thrown back .

To my knowledge there is no state in Australia where it is legal to keep 30 snapper , and as far as 5kg fish being the big breeders ? Don't know about that either . I live on the mornington peninsula in Victoria and a 5kg snapper is pretty much an average size snapper here , the snapper in port Phillip bay rely more on environmental conditions to spawn rather than there size . Fresh water entering the estuary via the rivers is a big factor in the success of spawning , years of low winter rain has a detrimental effect on the spawning success . Mbasko is well within his right to catch a feed , he pays his fishing licence , sticks to size and bag limits , can't see what the problem is ?. The problem today is too many people listen to the uninformed bs that greenies tout as the truth, the greens have no time for scientifically proven facts as it blows there theories out of the water. Reeks I suggest you at least do a bit of research on the topic you have chosen to attack mbasko on before you get on your high horse , you have no idea what you are talking about with regards to this subject.

Reeks said:
but the laws are behind the times- .

But the law is the law, if you don't agree with a law, speak to your local member and voice your concerns, or start your own party and run on that ticket.

Don't attack or criticize individuals or the community at large for abiding by the law.

Reeks said:
a few pics and watching them swim off is a great feeling.

So is a full belly from something you have caught yourself. Yummmm Snapper

Latest posts