Werribee Gorge - Gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day again,

Just went for a quick exploratory trek up through the Werribee River Gorge today, those sandstone/granite walls on the gorge are fantastic! I cannot believe I've lived here for so long and never been up there...

I've read you can get Sapphires and other small gems through the gorge, it's pretty good ground up there - very broken up and easily sifted/classified.

Anyone else been up there and hunted around?

At the very top of one grassy peak I could see what appeared to be some volcanic scoria, and one of the signs stated that at the peak of the hills was the "Olivine Granite" layer as they put it.

I stopped at one of the many water pools for a cool off, and spotted some gold coloured specs shimmering in the sands, obviously not GOLD as it wasn't on the bottom - what would this be out of interest?

Great afternoon in the sunshine, and might have to venture back there for some picking.

Tried Werribee gorge about 20 years ago and didn't find any thing but did much better at O'briens crossing on the Lerderderg picked up a few nuggets. Back when you were allowed.

Latest posts