Sapphires, Rubies, Zircons - field trip wanted Daylesford area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elbowgrease said:
I'd be keen to try and get over that way some time. I'd love to have a crack as some vic sapphires. I've got a few in my collection already, but exploring new places is half the fun.

Next time you folks are thinking about doing a trip post it up as I'd be keen. its a bit of a hike over to Daylesford for me but if the timing is ok I'd be happy to make the drive.

G'day mate.

As per my last post, I'll be going up to Daylesford till the water dries up, maybe 2 weeks or so. Saturdays are the go for me, so if you want to catch up one Sat. in the next 2 weeks or so, holler, (PM me). Otherwise, at 8:30am Sat. 18th , I'll be at the Bakery in the main drag in Daylesford as I mentioned earlier.

Cheers, Ron.
I guess a phone number might be good, certainly easier to arrange something if you're keen.

Hey EC.... I don't have any gear yet but when I get a chance will research what I have to buy to start out. I'd love to go out so when I get a free chance I'll drop you a line and we can organise something.

Is there a best time of year for fossicking?

Shame our gems aren't worth much here, but like you said I suppose it's the thrill of the chase.

Also do you need a fossicking license for gemstones?

Crazyk,

Yes, you do need a fossicking licence. The dpi website sells 2 year and 10 year licences and you can print it out after purchase. Otherwise you can go certain prospecting shops and purchase one there.

The best time of year for panning/gem fossicking is in the wetter seasons as this allows for better water flow.

All you will need to get started is a pan, 2 sieves, shovel and a container to put your future riches in, I would recommend a 1/4 inch and a 1/8th inch sieve.

All the best in the future ;)

Hey guys want to make the next trip on the 26th. Thats a Saturday for Ron and we can go there. Im in if anyone else is keen.

26th is no good for me I'm over in Gippsland for the long weekend.

I'm currently in negotiations with the minister for finance and wars to see if this weekend is a possiblity.

I've got a camp trailer and was wondering if any of the locals can advise if there are any places close to where you fossick that are suitable for setting up at.

ElbowGrease,

When I was in Daylesford I spoke to the people at the information centre about that exact same thing. What I got from them was camping is not permitted in Wombat state forest (Happy to be proven wrong) but there are 2 caravan parks which have camping grounds. If your purse strings are tight they also mentioned Mt.Franklin which is 10 - 15 km from Daylesford. You can drive into the crater and camp there for free. (Only down side no amenities)

Hope this helped.

Cheers

Thanks GT I'll look into that. I thought that you could camp in wombat. The folk up there are pretty sensitive about ppl coming in and mining / fossicking. I found a greenie website that was protesting about mining in wombat in my quest for information about the Forrest.

Werribee river. Have any of you fossicked in the werribee river in wombat coming out of daylesford? Just wondering what you might find? I see ppl mention the gorge etc but I'm talking bout the actual river.

The Werribee River starts at Mount Steiglitz near Ballan not at Daylesford the creeks and rivers around Daylesford all flow in land from what I remember.

Oh I thought it started that far up.

I can't seem to find good information on werribee river unless it's near lederderg gorge

Edit add..... I think it starts near Korweinguboora which is in wombat. Ok I'm not allowed to post links so google WombatForestcareNewsletter14_Dec_10.pdf and it says it starts in wombat

Just a bit of info gleaned from my recent research for you.

1 - Details on areas for hobby prospecting can be got from;
Minerals and Petroleum Business Centre, Level 16, 1 Spring St, Melbourne 3000. Ph 9658 4454

2 - Topographical maps also from;
Infromation Victoria, 505 Little Collins St, Melbourne 3000. Ph 1300 366 356

3 - Geological and Fossicking Maps;
Dept. of Primary Industries Information Centre, 16th Floor, 1 Spring St, Melbourne Vic, 3000 (same as address as 1 above). Ph 9658 4440
Also Information Vic as 2 above.

4a - Prospecting in State Parks restricted to specific areas in the following parks;
Beechworth Historic Pk
Enfield State Pk
Kooyoora Stae Pk
Paddy's Ranges State Pk
Reef Hills Stae Pk
Steiglitz Historic Pk
Warrandyte State Pk

4b - Gemstone only Fossicking
Cape Liptrap Coastal Pk
Cape Schank Coastal Pk
Mornington Peninsula National Pk
Otway National Pk

5 - Full details of where you can prospect, contact;
Parks Victoria DSE
Alexandra 5772 0200 5772 0200
Bacchus Marsh 5367 2922
Bairnsdale 5152 0400 5152 0400
Ballarat 5336 6817 5336 6856
Beechworth 5720 8190 5720 8190
Bendigo 5430 4444 5430 4444
Castlemaine 5472 1110 5472 1110
Creswick 5345 1352
Dargo 5140 1243 5140 1243
Inglewood 131963 5438 3066
Mallacoota 5161 9500
Mansfield 131963 5733 1200
Maryborough 5461 0800 5461 0800
Orbost 5161 1222 5161 1222
St Arnaud 5495 1700
Swifts Creek/Omeo 5159 0600 5159 0600

6 - You can prospect in certain areas in the following National Parks;(unsure about gemstones in other National Parks as the info I have is not that specific)
Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park
Chiltern
Mt Pilot National Park
Greater Bendigo National Park
Heathcote
Graytown National Park
St Arnaud Range National Park

That's just a snipet of info available at http://sedc.webs.com/documents/Prospecting in Victoria.pdf

I strongly recommend you go there to get the full picture. There's also an excellent list of rivers and creeks etc, but I'm unsure of the legalities of prospecting in them as that's a bit obscure. It says something about Q3, but that doesn't really refer to the list.

I printed the first part of this down to the end of the number 6. It makes for handy reference.
Finally, there's a comprehensive list of MINER'S RIGHT agents, so there's no excuse for not getting one, and fill in ya friggin holes.
Catch ya around the cracks,,,, er,, I mean traps.

Cheers, Ron.

Hi guys,

Been offline for a few days - crazy busy at work and not turning anything electrical on at home due to the heat!

crazy, if you manage to get some bits of gear we could go this weekend? There will be some nice storms after or during this hot weather so should bring some fresh H2O into Sailors...
Otherwise, I'm happy for you to come along and use some of my stuff for the day.

Ron, might see you there.. Is it this Sat you're going? I might stop in for a coffee too early on to kick start the day.

Anyone else welcome to come along? Let me know so no-one left behind in town.

GT, how's things bud? When is your next day off after having the wedding and work this weekend?

EC apart from this weather I'm good and yourself?

As it stands im working every day up to Sunday the 26th. After that I dont have my roster yet.

Sometimes I really hate my job. It takes up sooo much of my time. And if its not work it's the wife and kids .

I'm dying to get back out for a hunt. I have 6 weeks off work starting on the 2nd of March so watch out gems and gold, im going to hunt you down. :p (Providing there been a bit of rain) :rolleyes:

Haha, I completely understand GT! That's why getting out in a quiet creek bed can sometimes be quite therapeutic...

The 26th may seem like a long way away, but it will come sooner than you realize and you can get back to chasing that perfect gem or huge lump of gold!

I'm doing alright too, this weather is pretty insane though.

EC, I'll certainly make the effort to come out once I get myself organized I'll definitely get down and organise something.

Let me do a bit more research too. I hate being a burden !!

Thats some great info too, sure to give me hours of reading !!!

EternalChase said:
Hi guys,

Been offline for a few days - crazy busy at work and not turning anything electrical on at home due to the heat!

crazy, if you manage to get some bits of gear we could go this weekend? There will be some nice storms after or during this hot weather so should bring some fresh H2O into Sailors...
Otherwise, I'm happy for you to come along and use some of my stuff for the day.

Ron, might see you there.. Is it this Sat you're going? I might stop in for a coffee too early on to kick start the day.

Anyone else welcome to come along? Let me know so no-one left behind in town.

GT, how's things bud? When is your next day off after having the wedding and work this weekend?

G'day EC.
Yeah mate, this Saturday coming, 18th.
My plan is to have a feed, coffee, then nick off around 9.00am.
The spot I'm going to is only 10 minutes away. I'm just hoping there's a little water left. It's been so dam hot, it's really hard to say. If not, I'll probably go swinging the detector somewhere, or trade ideas with whoever shows up.

If anyone else is keen, the spot to meet is the "Modern Day Bakery and Cafe" in the main street, Vincent St. I think it is. Daylesford by the way. Be there before 9.00am. As I said in an earlier post, I'll be the old fart wearing the black "Casey Jones" cap, for those who can remember back to the black and white telly days. Grey wiskers and glasses too.

Cheers, Ron

crazy, definitely no burden! I'm a relative newbie at all this stuff too... Up to you.

Ron, I'm not going to make it first thing in the morning now - have a few jobs to get done first, then drop into Ballarat so probably will not make it until after lunch.

Are you thinking of going around the crossing / power lines on Sailor's Creek? If you're still around I can drop by.

Cheers,
Mark

EternalChase said:
crazy, definitely no burden! I'm a relative newbie at all this stuff too... Up to you.

Ron, I'm not going to make it first thing in the morning now - have a few jobs to get done first, then drop into Ballarat so probably will not make it until after lunch.

Are you thinking of going around the crossing / power lines on Sailor's Creek? If you're still around I can drop by.

Cheers,
Mark

Yeah Mark, that was where I was gunna go. Either just downstream of the powerline crossing or anywhere between 30m 130m or so upstream. Some of the creek has really had a flogging around there, but I'm not convinced they have it all, well I hope not anyway,,,lol.

If there's not enough water, I'm gunna hold a round table conference with anyone else who rocks up and probably go detecting.

Cheers, Ron.

Latest posts