Sapphires, Rubies, Zircons - field trip wanted Daylesford area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is this Saturday 11th, it looks to be at this stage just me and GT.

For all you other guys not available this weekend, we can organise another one. We can do regular trips and whoever can make it, makes it.

It might be an idea to double check now who is actually coming so no-one gets left chatting to the Postman all day.

Either txt or msg me with your details so we make sure we wait for everyone before heading off.

Please see profile for contact details.

Not too bad I think. I found 5 sapphires, none much bigger than a match head and dull in colour. Zircons are plentiful, but again not big. Gold im not quite sure as im still working through my poor mans bucket (my take home concentrates).

Once I've done that I will post a pic.

Eternal chase found his first baby sapphire and many zircons and also caught the attention from a local snake. :eek:

Deepblue who has a wealth of local knowledge also showed us around a bit before heading off to detect the hills.

Great day all up, Great weather, Good company, Can't wait until we meet up again. :cool:

Thats awesome GT. What happened with the snake, probably shouldnt laugh but couldnt help myself :D sounds like you guys had an awesome day, really looking forward to doing it with you next time.

We just kept doing our thing, and it just went away in it's own time.

Admittedly a close eye was kept on it to make sure he didn't want to be any more friendly.

Look forward to catching up with you next time.

1389518099_tiger_snake.jpg

Steve, this is the snake in question - a Tiger Snake from the looks of it.. just a young one, not aggressive thank goodness.

As GT mentioned we found a bunch of little gems, which was good - need to go back and turn over more ground to find the big one!

I went back again today only for a couple of hours for a little sniff in an area I was informed of by a local chasing gold further down the creek. I was luck to check over the rocks in my 1/2" classifier otherwise I would not have found this:

1389518454_gold.png

Chase well done on the nuggy man thats an awesome find. Just making more jealous :) Snake looks cool too. Itching to get down there now more than ever :)

Hi guys I've just joined the forum and know sfa about gem fossicking but am getting interested in it by reading heaps.

I'm not far from daylesford either so will be watching your post with much attention.

Once I'm a little more informed I might tag along one trip.

Question to you though...what are these gems worth that your finding?

not alot crazy, Victoria doesnt have much in the way of gemstones. Not to say your not going to find anything of value cause you never know your luck. Gold is our prize here, everyone tells us that the best gemstones are found in nsw and qld :)

Hey Crazyk,

Steve is right in what he is saying. Value = Next to nothing in Vic.

EC congrats on the find. How big is the host stone next to a 50 cent piece? Any luck on the gems?

Hey Guys let me know when you would like to go out again I may have found a couple of more spots to test out.
cheers deepblue ;)

Once we do a few trips together we should head up to beechworth :) got a feeling this is going to be alot of fun :)

Hey Guys,

The weight of the nugget was a mere 0.25 grams once I got it out and weight it last night... :(
- better than a kick in the ass though!

As GT says, value is next to nothing - I just enjoy to chase and the prospect of stumbling across that great find by chance. I'm not looking to make money per say, most hobbies require some outlay.

Crazy, you are welcome to come out anytime with me - do you have any gear? I'm happy to take you out and show you the gem fossicking - let me know a suitable time for you.

Beechworth would be an excellent idea Steve! I went there when I first started getting interested in the infamous yellow..

GT, the gems were much the same as further up the creek bed - some nicer spheres and less of the "shards" we were finding on Saturday. I also met the horse trainer, he was doing his rounds up and down the hills with his harness gear - he stopped for a quick chat a couple of times. Boy those horses get a workout!

Cheers fellas.

I havent been there yet Chase. Can't wait til next meeting to go to castlemaine Im going tomorrow before the heat sets in. is there anywater at all there? pondering wether to take the trommel or just some buckets and a shovel :)

Hi Guys,

This is a copy of what I wrote in another post. Just thought you might be interested. I was there last Sat 11th for what it's worth.

Sailor's Creek near Daylesford has just enough flow for a sluice ATM, (where it's narrow) but I use a battery pack and bilge pump for my hi-banker, so as long as there's a reasonable puddle, I'm good to go.
I reckon you might have useful flows for a sluice in there for another one or two weeks, maybe more.

I've found a few gemstones there. Nothing big, but some cool colours. Trouble is I don't know one from another, garnet/ruby, quartz/diamond, who knows ? I do have a couple of small ones with blue/green in them, Emerald or saphire, buggered if I know. Gold is a piece of cake, finding it is the hard part.

I'll be in Daylesford again next Saturday if anyone wants to tag along. Meet at the "Modern Day Bakery and Cafe" in the main drag at 8.30 for coffee (I'm getting breakie there). I'll be the old fart wearing a black "Casey Jones" cap. Going back till the water dries up, which won't be long after this week. Where I'm going is a steady 2wd track, but I have a 4by for what it's worth.

Cheers, Ron.

Hey Ron,

Good luck next weekend, unfortunately I have work and a wedding to attend on Saturday.

When it comes to gemstones and knowing what they are, I think you have to be a real expert or have done a lot of research. If you know what gems are in an area, it can cut down a lot of the guessing work.

Which Ettamoga Pub is that in your pic?

I'd be keen to try and get over that way some time. I'd love to have a crack as some vic sapphires. I've got a few in my collection already, but exploring new places is half the fun.

Next time you folks are thinking about doing a trip post it up as I'd be keen. its a bit of a hike over to Daylesford for me but if the timing is ok I'd be happy to make the drive.

Golden Tiger said:
Hey Ron,

Good luck next weekend, unfortunately I have work and a wedding to attend on Saturday.

When it comes to gemstones and knowing what they are, I think you have to be a real expert or have done a lot of research. If you know what gems are in an area, it can cut down a lot of the guessing work.

Which Ettamoga Pub is that in your pic?

All good mate.

There'll be other weekends. I tend to try and get away every weekend if I can. My job is pretty full on, so it's nice to get away.

Unfortunately, I have one artificial wrist, and the other is on the way out as well. I'm by no means crippled so to speak, but after a good day digging and scratchin out cracks, I like to have a spell. That's why Saturday is my favorite. I've led a pretty active life and I can't bring myself to slow down too much even now.

That's not to say I won't do a Sunday away. If I get the erge to go further afield, I'll camp out on thee Saturday night and come back Sunday arvo.

That Ettamoga pub is in Palmwoods, Sunshine Coast Qld. just up the road from my place in Caboolture. Unfortunately, I have to work in Melbourne and fly home every 2 months or so. My family is still up there, and I have Sunday dinner with them on Skype every weekend. A real pain in the backside it is, but I'm hoping the Good Lord will see fit to grant me one decent nugget, so that I can go back home for good. Mind you, my yellow fever will probably get worse, and I'll want to hang around some more,,,lol.

Anyway, keep in touch. We'll make a trip of it one day. PM me and tell me a bit about yourself. That goes for anyone else who might want to catch up one Saturday as well.

Cheers, Ron.

Latest posts