Sapphires, Rubies, Zircons - field trip wanted Daylesford area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Anyone interested in getting together for a trip to the Daylesford/surrounding area to hunt for some Sapphires, Rubies, or Zircons?

After some reading through a new book of mine there are a few localities I wouldn't mind trying out, as well as any areas you might suggest too..

I'm back at work next week, but weekends are wide open for anyone interested in giving it a go.

Went out today to scout a few creeks around Blackwood, Newbury, Trentham, Lyonville. I'd like to try out Hepburn Springs and just north of there.

Drop me a line if interested.

Mark

Hi Mark, Have you been there yet? I was reading about there only the other day and was thinking of heading there too. Im going to try and get there in the next week or 2.

Hi Mark,

Providing no-one calls in sick i'm free on the 11th and 12th of Jan. I've been meaning to go to Daylesford but I wouldn't know where to start.

When you went on your scout yesterday was there much water in the creeks?

I went to Broadford on the weekend to find no running water but there was pockets of water in the well worked over areas.

Hey guys,

onespecsteve, have not been to Daylesford yet - just the other areas I mentioned.

golden tiger, there was not a lot of water in the creeks.. it is drying up fast! No good for gold sluicing etc. but still might be ok for picking through the gravel? I've got a few ideas where to start but without seeing the landscape can sometimes be deceiving. It looks great on a map and from what you read in a book, but then the actual location is very different.

Want to meet up and try some areas on 11th/12th then?

Hey EternalChase,

Saturday the 11th i've booked myself off. So i'm free to go.

Where is the best place for us to meet in Daylesford / surrounding area?

Cheers,

GT

All the creeks are pretty barren for water, might pay to delay it until autumn. Im keen as mustard to meet up for regular trips if you guys are interested.

Steve/GT,

There is water in the Werribee River if you guys think it is worthwhile looking in the Gorge...?

Otherwise we could just try out some of the Daylesford and surrounding areas and take our chances with the water scarcity, do we need much water to do gem fossicking? I've never really done it before.

I am definitely keen to do regular trips, I don't work any weekends and often make last minute plans anyway so usually free.

Where are you guys from?

I'm 33 from Bacchus Marsh.

For gems, as long as we have puddles of water deep enough to sink the sieves and pans, running water is not an issue.

Werribee Gorge, I know nothing about, but from what I've read on your other post I would prefer to fossick in a permitted area with out the hassle of a park ranger or greenies giving me/us grief.

Have you fossicked for gems or gold before?

I'm 32 from Craigieburn.

I might go for a drive up there in the next week. I am 40 from Bendigo so its only just over 30mins from the road. I wonder if anyone could give us a nudge on where to start looking? I have done some gem fossicking not with sieves yet though. I do a fair bit of gold panning. I have a hand crank trommel and 2 sluices.

Gems are what I love chasing. Would love to join you guys, I'm down in Gippsland but won't be available until at least later Jan. Hope you do well. :)

Guys I'm based in Daylesford can show you some likely spots but I,m more interested in gold then gems. If you PM me with a time and date I'll try and be around to help out.

Steve/GT/DB,

Let's try and organise a trip next weekend then? I'm available both days..

DB, I too am VERY interested in the yellow - just wanted to try something different. I'm keen to do some gold trips anytime aswell.

Message me and I can exchange numbers to make contact a little easier.

Well I'm in for the 11th of Jan. Just need to organise a time and place to meet!

(I think Daylesford post office might be a good meeting place) Any other suggestions ?

As for time, I'm hoping to be there around 10 am and will try to make a day of it. It will take me roughly 1 1/2 hrs to get there.

I wont be able to do the next weekend as I have to drive to Frankston to visit family (oh the joy). I will start doing some trips down there and will keep you guys informed if I find anything.

The more the (better chances of someone finding something) merrier - looks like it's a 10am meet at the Post Office.

I'm happy to be guided on hunting location.. I have a few locations that I have been recommended from my new book "Gemstones in Victoria" but we can see how the day starts off at Sailor's to begin with.

Anyway guys, please see my profile for contact details.

Mark

Latest posts