does anyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
does anyone out there cut their own stones? or do you send them away. i have garnets sapphires tourmaline etc.... lots of odd and unusual rocks and stones. i have a dremel and diamond tips and blades but havent been to motivated. found some beautiful epidote specimens that i wouldnt mind making some pretties out of. because im a traveller and have no home but my vehicle, do any of you have a travelling set up or all home base? if you have a travelling set up or even a home base set up id really like to hear from you or any ideas about workshops i can drift in and out of. my girlfriends getting grumpy with 30kg+ of raw beautiful rocks!
thanks
Max

Some Men's Sheds have lapidary gear. For a small joining fee you may be able to find one in a town near you, and spend a couple of months reducing your collection into something remarkable.

I had heard that someone in Rubyvale was teaching free-form sapphire polishing using a dremel, I have not been able to find out how they do it but would be keen to know as I have some sapphire stones that i think would be better free-form polished. Hopefully someone on this forum can point you in the right direction.

Good luck

There are numerous Lapidary Clubs all over the country and all have workshop facilities within them. They are extremely cheap to join and charge a very small fee to members using their machines.

Start with the easier cabbing machines and once you have mastered these (very simple ) venture into the Faceting domain. (takes a fair bit longer to master).

They also have group outings to fossick for gemstones, and have a wealth of knowledge on anything to do with gemstones and minerals. Best of luck,

Cheers Wal.

Just some general information about gem cutting for those visiting Rubyvale in Qld.

Go to the coffee shop next to the Gem Gallery(across the road from the pub) and ask for Mary she is a cutter and has lived there all her life so knows all the other cutters that may be able to help.

A mate of mine picked up a portable gem cutting faceting machine(runs on small stationary motor) three years ago at a gem club open day for about $900 second hand and has self taught himself.

Bob.

G'day Max,
As Wal advises the best way learn is through one of the local gem Clubs = They have the machinery and members that generally are willing to share their knowledge.
At Sapphire the Gem club there does a lot of skin polishing sapphires. Their members are willing to provide instructions - it's a relatively cheap way to get introduced to gem cutting & you can use your flexible drill - dremmel burs and buffs. It is great while travelling-
I have a small 12 volt faceting machine ( equipped with a diamond saw attachment) that I use when I'm on the road. Its really good to get out of the missus' hair and spend a bit of time with a stubby faceting what I've found on our trips.