EPIRB preferences ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zuke_Lynzy said:
I don't get lost that easy'

what if you have stepped over a fallen tree to find there is a brown snake on the other side that bites your ass on the day when your car is 4 km walk , and you then have 30 minutes drive to a place where you can get mobile phone reception ?

or a feral doberman rips half the skin off your leg leaving you losing blood and incapable of walking to the car

i want one.

( Epirb i mean not a doberman )

I agree headsup, I hav been thinking about getting one , will b lookin for replies :)

I bought my parents a GME ACCUSAT GPS PLB. They are about to do the gray nomads thing in a couple of months and wanted them to be safe. I will be getting one myself when I leave on my own adventure in April. It was $340 ish but you can't really put a price on safety.
And are small enough to carry with you on your belt or backpack also when activated it will pin point your position within 5m.

SApicker said:
I bought my parents a GME ACCUSAT GPS PLB. They are about to do the gray nomads thing in a couple of months and wanted them to be safe. I will be getting one myself when I leave on my own adventure in April. It was $340 ish but you can't really put a price on safety.
And are small enough to carry with you on your belt or backpack also when activated it will pin point your position within 5m.

i looked at the GME one but i saw a recall notice on one of the mountain safety websites due to a defect

i dont know if its your model or the previous

they wouldnt be selling yours if it was affected by the recall though ?

check the GME website to be sure

""what if you have stepped over a fallen tree to find there is a brown snake on the other side that bites your ass on the day when your car is 4 km walk , and you then have 30 minutes drive to a place where you can get mobile phone reception ?

or a feral doberman rips half the skin off your leg leaving you losing blood and incapable of walking to the car.""

If you get bitten by a snake you sit down next to a tree under the shade and activate you EPIRB. If you're not dead within 3 minutes then you'll probably survive. If you die at least the emergency services can retrieve your body and your wife can collect the insurance money.

Axtyr.

Go the GME MT 410G, just under $300.00 and buy from an authorised reseller. GME guarantee a seven year life on the battery, check your expiry on receipt to ensure you haven't received old stock.

Me, find my way in the bush even without a compass, do I want to make it home if something goes wrong, absolutely, do I carry one, yes.

The price difference between the MT410 and Mt410G, is about $30.00, really is it a consideration when the MT410G can guide the rescue chopper into your location with 100m.

Hi,
An alternative is the Kennard XS-4 with GPS it transmits on the 406Mhz international frequency and the locator on 121.5Mhz at the same time can fit a pocket and around $375 needs registering so give search and rescue your home phone and next of kin numbers. Is currently advertised for pilots found the info on a web site called "clear prop", hope this helps.

Bob.

PS I have one.

The operation of the EPIRB is grossly misrepresented, have mentioned this in another post.
One EPIRB can be registered for BOTH land & sea!
A guaranteed example here is I purchased one GME - MT600G EPIRB + GPS and registered it for both my boating and land activities. (Can only speak for WA)

The difference between the MT600 EPIRB and the the MT600G + GPS comes down to accuracy.
The PLB is the preferred option on land if you wish to carry it on your person purely because of weight and size. A PLB is legal in WA while boating if you remain less than 2KM from landfall,

The EPIRB Jaros mentions is real however they only mention boating. This EPIRB can be used on both land and sea.
This EPIRB is quite OK for open waters where your watercraft could be sighted from air with ease, if you were in bushland this wouldn't be the case.
However combine this version with a simple bit of bushcraft by lighting a fire the reduced accuracy wouldn't be a problem.

https://www.anacondastores.com/wate...nHLpwp4PpzvZuXRO5MUWi8jQ6JWtqnKQaAgMBEALw_wcB

Hi All,
most cheap EPIRBS will only send a distress signal and the emergency services will have a general idea of where you are.
Next level up have a GPS combined and will give EMS exact co-ordinates for them to drive, boat, fly, chopper to you.
This I got one has it all and was $299 small and light- 116grams

1588486347_20200503.jpg

All most bought one but it was second hand and unsure where the original owner was at the time..

Unsure if you can register a second hand one with out the original owner

I have a GME MT410G PLB. It has a battery life of 7 years which expires at the end of this year. A part of the regulations of registering with AMSA is that when you dispose of a PLB by whatever means, including lost or stolen, you need to notify them. Forms are available online, including change of ownership. You will need their name, address and phone number, along with the beacon details.

I'm not going to refurbish my GME, it costs over $200 and you only get a 12mth warranty. I'm buying the KTI, which has a 10 year battery life, is half the size and less than $300 to replace it.

When I do this at the end of the year, I will need to dispose of the GME, notify AMSA it is no longer active in my name and register the new one with them. From what I have researched, the ways to dispose the old one are; (according to AMSA)

Disposing of unwanted distress beacons
Option 1. Contact your local battery store to check whether they disconnect and dispose of beacons. ...
Option 2. Contact your local maritime safety agency. ...
Option 3. Check the beacon manufacturer's instructions, they may provide instructions on how to disconnect the beacon battery.

This is the physical disposal, de-registering still needs to occur.

I've just downloaded the Accusat (GME) owner manual, it actually explains how to disconnect and remove the battery. The battery can be disposed of at recycle places such as OfficeWorks for free, the PLB is then benign waste.

AMSA's main concern is accidental triggering, by just throwing in the bin, it has happened. I believe GME charge for disposal, notwithstanding the postage.

I'll do the battery remove when the time comes. :)

EPIRBs should be treated in the same way.

Latest posts