old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Pics HTW.

Thanks for the links too Loamer.

There are a few local mines I want to explore, but I'm going to get an O2/CO2 monitor first. They go a fair way in and the air quality is a but sus.

Love the pics !

And Iam thankful for them, because I would never climb down by myself :)

Diggerdom said:
Great Pics HTW.

Thanks for the links too Loamer.

There are a few local mines I want to explore, but I'm going to get an O2/CO2 monitor first. They go a fair way in and the air quality is a but sus.

let me know when ya want to go out and ill show you the ropes of hard rock mineing if ya want :) with the safey gear

When I'm able to I'll put up some photos of the tunnels I've found. Also, would be interested to hear if anyone has been down the deep shaft that's just behind the fenced in area at Black Hill Ballarat. Thanks.

I myself has spent a lot of time looking around in mine sharfts sum are safe sum arn't but if your careful and take safe actions I don't see a problem with it' everyone has different hobbies and adventures beats sitting on the couch dreaming? If the gov really cared about our safety why is there thousands of open mine sharfts hidden amoungst the bush without a dummy fence around them. I know we mark them out with a log each side or a tripod over the top Do you? ( the do you' is for everyone that's reads this post )

its called a candle, carried at waist height when it goes out you know your about to run out of usable oxygen.. ;) seriously it works tho. we always carried a candle just encase we found some old shafts or caves.

MarcusBerlin said:
Love the pics !

And Iam thankful for them, because I would never climb down by myself :)

It would probably cost the government a small fortune to place a fence around all the mine shafts in the bush and many are on private land.

Cost the gov? We would be footing the cost in the long run.
I do my bit it I was just putting the idea out next time you come across a unmarked mine in the middle of nowhere.

Yes I agree its a good idea. There are some real deep mines around Chewton that could do with a warning marker.

There was a policy in the triangle where a lot of deep reefs had the tailings/mullock etc pushed back into the openings - you can see the results in a lot of places for example Moliagul. There are some that are fenced. It all comes down to cost - there are 1,000s of deep dangerous holes and the damage 'dozers would do just to get in to the scrub is enormous. In my opinion, you can't signpost every goldfield to say 'deep holes' and in my experience, a lot of the warning signs have and do get knicked anyway (like around Dunolly).

In Ballarat some where covered over in the 19th century and not done well just with planks of wood and some top soil. Every now and then the result is someone drops down a shaft.

Boy falls down disused mine shaft
Updated April 30, 2012 20:23:02

"A teenager has been rescued from a disused mine shaft in Ballarat East in Victoria.
The Country Fire Authority (CFA) says the boy fell about 13 metres to the bottom of the shaft.
CFA Operations Manager Bernie Fradd says it took about an hour and a half to rescue him."
"He was wandering at the base of the Black Hill lookout and somehow has stumbled across an open mineshaft and fallen down," he said.
"There were some people down a walking track about 40 metres away and luckily they heard his cries for help.
"He's got some moderate injuries but certainly nothing that will be long term."

i use a Five Star(brand name) gas detector send it down the shaft via a fishing rod on an alvey reel,if theres bad air down there (and its not in fire season) a couple of dry branches lit on fire and thrown down the shaft will help move the crap air, wait awhile ,re-test if alls good down we go.......more times than not this has been very unsuccessfull and we have had to abandon the shaft.but a couple of times its worked.I WILL HOWEVER STATE though this was done with a friend of mine who has done this type of thing for the past 20 plus years,he is expierenced im not ,and i never tavel down one alone...imagine the s##t storm you would create if you had to be rescued..... 8)

The next step would be to take your own oxygen supply but that would get messy and expensive.

dean65 said:
When I'm able to I'll put up some photos of the tunnels I've found. Also, would be interested to hear if anyone has been down the deep shaft that's just behind the fenced in area at Black Hill Ballarat. Thanks.

would love to have a look at it m8 :)

yes i agree is well the ones i find if there shafts i put a few bigish logs in a round square around the shaft just so when you are detecting you have to move it and look at the hole behind is if you see the log

Hunting the yellow said:
dean65 said:

would love to have a look at it m8 :)

Ok I will see what I can do.

Keep these photos coming :)

I think seeing what its like inside would put most people off going in to them but satisfys the curiosity :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts