old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi all as you may all know I go down the old dangerous mines all over Vic and I map them and take images of them here's this weeks mine I visited I will but up more images when I can get back there as when I was taking images my camera battery went dead flat grrrr but ill keep you posted and add them when I get them :)
Added for your own Safety.

Tathradj

You're welcome to that pastime HTY, last time I went down a set of caves I actually started feeling clustraphobic in some areas .... didn't have that problem when I was younger ???

Have you tried getting hold of some of the old Mining Registrar records, many of these featured the shaft/drive layouts.
1387361074_mrr_cres.jpeg

The attached photo shows a simple example at Creswick Sulky Lead.
Cheers Tom

looks good mate
will have to join you down there again soon
how did you go with the ore
did you take any samples from down the bottom that we couldn't reach last time?

Brilliant photos!

But I do have to say that when the search for you or for someone else who saw what you do on the various forums and thought "how cool! I think I'll have a crack at that too" changes from a rescue mission to a recovery one, that the powers that be don't have a knee jerk reaction and shut good gold areas.

HeadsUp said:
beautiful photos . love the work they did .

did you have a detector to check the walls and floors as you went ?

enough to make a bloke salivate. :p

lots of iron stone and the old rails about 1ft down to cart the gold out on but did get a few targets in the reef above

madtuna said:
Brilliant photos!

But I do have to say that when the search for you or for someone else who saw what you do on the various forums and thought "how cool! I think I'll have a crack at that too" changes from a rescue mission to a recovery one, that the powers that be don't have a knee jerk reaction and shut good gold areas.

now 1 I don't post the loc of anywhere I go and 2 if your referring to me as being a jerk you are more than welcome to come to my house and say it to my face m8. do take caution on doing down these old mines as I very well know how dangerous they can be. and also I take all safety gear with me as well.

Firstly, nowhere did I call you or insinuate you were a jerk, so drop your childish threats. What I posted was out of caution and concern after reading your tales on a few forums.
What you do, even you admit is highly dangerous and should not be encouraged, and my personal belief should not be promoted on an open forum monitored by the various mines departments.

Entering shafts especially at the depths you listed here is a game of Russian rulette without the thousands of dollars of specialized equipment you don't have and without the qualifications you also don't have.

A rat on a rope you must admit is not up to date technology and intact went out with Charles dickens.

I understand where both of you are coming from - lets all step back and take a breather fellas. This is not that different to Pot Holing or Cave Diving and i assert that it's actually a self selecting activity because photo's only promote it to certain 'adventurer' types and reinforce the insecurities of such an undertaking in the rest of mere mortals.

casper

I agree I love the photos but I will never go down a old mine shaft unless it is the lost ducthmans gold mine then maybe ;)

madtuna said:
Firstly, nowhere did I call you or insinuate you were a jerk, so drop your childish threats. What I posted was out of caution and concern after reading your tales on a few forums.
What you do, even you admit is highly dangerous and should not be encouraged, and my personal belief should not be promoted on an open forum monitored by the various mines departments.

Entering shafts especially at the depths you listed here is a game of Russian rulette without the thousands of dollars of specialized equipment you don't have and without the qualifications you also don't have.

A rat on a rope you must admit is not up to date technology and intact went out with Charles dickens.

I also can see where you both are coming from, but honestly Madtuna, I think you stating what you did regarding mines Dept monitoring the sites, may actually put that thought in their minds, or reinforce a thought they may have had already. And I don't think Madtuna was intending to offend anyone directly- his wording probably could have been a tad better, but lets not have a divorce of this misunderstanding.
Having said that, the dangers are very obvious to anyone with brains (not that HTY has no brains), & the choice to venture down into the belly of the Earth is a personal one- just like abseiling in the Blue Mtns, or racing your 1000cc bike at Calder park etc etc. One can take precautions to an extent, but some risks will always exist in everything we do. Should the worst happen then those that took the risks are the ones that will be in the 'fix'. If we never pushed the envelope, we would all still be thinking the Earth was flat.........(thanx Chris Columbus).
My hat goes off to HTY, because without the likes of him (braver than me) we would never know what was down there, & never get an idea what the Old timers had to do- this is a raw History lesson that many of us would never get the chance to experience.
Let's all be friends again....pls. ;)

richo966 said:
I agree I love the photos but I will never go down a old mine shaft unless it is the lost ducthmans gold mine then maybe ;)

Nah! - the Dutchman's is a mythical mine, take the "safe" Long Tunnel Extended Mine tour at Walhalla in the Victorian High Country - 13 1/2 tons of gold came out of that mine during it's life and on the tour you can touch the legendary Cohens Reef - i did! :) ..... and am still waiting for the religious experience to work it's magic :D

casper

I agree with BumbleB.

Yes mine / cave exploring is dangerous, but so is skydiving, scuba diving and pretty well every contact sport yet so many do it everyday. Obviously HTY understands the dangers involved and is willing to pursue his passion (with or without the correct safety equipment), I really don't think anyone should be judging him here.

If someone was to read this topic and make the decision to climb into a mine shaft without the proper education or equipment, then they're an idiot, simple!

Also, I don't believe Madtuna was calling anyone a jerk, I think it was simply misread so lets all keep our cool.

Great topic HTY, just be safe mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts