Rooster Booster problems !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystyk59

Bill
Reaction score
Gday all
Just thought i would let you know of a couple of problems 2 of us have had with the Rooster Booster so that if you get the same problems you will know what it is .

I bought my Rooster Booster off my detecting partner Dale after he had used it a couple of times and decided that he preferred to use his Black Widow headphones.

As i take a lot of tourists out during the cooler months here and am out most days detecting and quite often at night detecting with Dale , I probably use my equipment more than is the usual. I started to notice that it was cutting in and out a bit and then i started to have a problem where i was getting the low battery signal after 1 or 2 hours detecting !

My first thought was that the battery was on its way out and i was just about to order a new battery when i went out one evening and when i got home as i went to disconnect the Booster , the plug to the battery fell to pieces in my hand.

The rooster booster was sent back to Bendigo Gold and when i went out the next time i used my Coiltek mini booster with my headphones and no low battery signal after 7 hours. I got the booster back and as it was out of warranty it cost $40 for a new plug.

Now here is the interesting one that might save some one some angst.

In the first week of August i helped a friend ( Eric)who was looking to buy a 4000 get one from Kim Ellis at Nuggetsfromdownunder. He also bought a new Rooster Booster at the same time.
Last week myself , Dale and Eric went out to check out a new patch. Eric turned on his detector and nothing ! No start up
Thinking it might be his battery Dale put his spare battery on and still nothing ! luckily we had the back up 4500 with the lucky lark so Eric borrowed that for the night.

I contacted Kim on Eric's behalf and even though it was out of her Dealer warranty of 3 months she said not to worry and that she would sort it out, which was fantastic of her !

The following evening Myself and Eric decided to go for a couple of hours. So I grabbed the 4500 off Dale and told Eric he could use my 4000 as I set his up exactly the same as mine.
So Eric got set up with his harness and my 4000 and battery , then called me over and set that when he started up it came on and went straight off again and would not start now .

I have never had a problem with my machine so I put the 4500 battery on and nothing. I then tried to start the 4500 and that would not start !.
That is when i realised it had to be his rooster booster causing the problem

But now i was worried that i had blown either the batteries or the machines.
I told Eric to go home and try to charge his battery and unpack his control box which he had ready to send to Minelab and try it without the Rooster booster.

I came home and stuck the 4000 and 4500 batteries on charge for about 20 seconds and they were green . Tested them both and both machines started up ok .
Eric rang and said that his was now ok w/out the booster.

I have since found out that the Minelab batteries have a trip switch that the booster was activating and the only way to de-activate it is to put the battery back on charge for a couple of seconds. Which is something I didn't know !
So relief all around. Booster has now been sent back to Bendigo Gold.
So I hope that this helps if anyone else gets the same problem and saves them thinking that its their prized machine that is stuffed .

I have been told its a problem that occurs now and then with boosters so its good to know
Regards Bill :cool:

ProspectorPete said:
Dog Ranger said:
Was looking at one second hand. Think I might give a miss after reading this :(
The steelPHASE sP01 is worth looking at Dog Ranger, well worth the money in my opinion.

Thanks and good reviews all round regarding this unit :Y:

Hey Bill sorry to have to hijack your 8 year old thread, but im having some issues with a Rooster Booster.

When i was out in Talbot digging yesterday i accidentally had the thin cable that runs to the booster dangling behind me and got it caught under my boot when trying to stand up. It wasn't a slow get up either it was woo ho hoo whats this.....ahhh f4$#K leadshot .....It seems Ive strained the wire and now it doesn't work properly (is very quiet and shattery, To get me through the rest of the day I simply unplugged the booster and plugged some headphones into the GPX5000.

Question - is there someone that still repairs these things as its a cracker of a unit to use. Shattered i gave a SP01 to a mate whos just started out with my old SDC2300 last week :)

Based in Vic.

Cheers in advance.

I don't think they are rocket science leads bj probably anywhere that deals in audio equipment repairs close to you.

bjarvie said:
Hey Bill sorry to have to hijack your 8 year old thread, but im having some issues with a Rooster Booster.

When i was out in Talbot digging yesterday i accidentally had the thin cable that runs to the booster dangling behind me and got it caught under my boot when trying to stand up. It wasn't a slow get up either it was woo ho hoo whats this.....ahhh f4$#K leadshot .....It seems Ive strained the wire and now it doesn't work properly (is very quiet and shattery, To get me through the rest of the day I simply unplugged the booster and plugged some headphones into the GPX5000.

Question - is there someone that still repairs these things as its a cracker of a unit to use. Shattered i gave a SP01 to a mate whos just started out with my old SDC2300 last week :)

Based in Vic.

Cheers in advance.

If you're anywhere near 3029 VIC I can fix it for you, as long as there isn't any further damage to the board etc... - no charge, just send me a photo of the "big one" when you find it :lol: Offer is there but anyone who can solder should be capable.

As Gemini/ATeam says anyone that's good with electronic/audio repairs close by would be worth a try.
Failing that contact Miners Den as they originally supplied the Rooster Booster.
As they now do repair work their technicians may be able to do it or help with someone who can.
It was a common point of failure on them from memory. I seem to remember the audio plugs used being hard to source?
Maybe a NDT adapter from the audio plug used to standard 6.25mm socket could be made & if it happens again any other detector speaker could be used (if you carry a spare)?

Latest posts