Fossil brachipod - Brown Hill, Adelaide

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went for a hike up Brown Hill (near Carrick Hill) yesterday and found a flat rock with line indents - I posted it up on Facebook and someone commented that it's a brachiopod. Not hugely exciting in terms of fossil finds, but it's my first so I'm pretty happy.

Just below Brown Hill is McElligott's Quarry Reserve, an old quartzite quarry which has apparently been identified as Precambrian, around 750 million years old.

1642472627_20220117_175621.jpg

1642472691_20220117_180546.jpg

That's a great find Greg.

I think there are lots of things like this that we just kick aside because we don't have a clue that it's not just another rock. We collect a few from time to time and perhaps most are nothing more than a rock but Mrs M seems to have the policy "if you like it take it home" :lol:

1642482596_egg.jpg

I won't take it out now but in the back corner there is our dinosaur egg. Whether it is or is not is not important. For us it's our dinosaur egg and that's all that matters :)

Kato's collection is HUGE, including an early Fossil from Coober Pedy.

God, now she and the other kids will want me to climb hills with them in search of fossils :rolleyes:

We are in Adelaide too.

:)

Greenhornet_au said:
Kato's collection is HUGE, including an early Fossil from Coober Pedy.

God, now she and the other kids will want me to climb hills with them in search of fossils :rolleyes:

We are in Adelaide too.

:)

Yep the kids make it fun. I think got about 2/3rds of the way to the summit yesterday with a 3.5-year-old on my shoulders before calling it quits. I'll have to try again in cooler weather - that afternoon sun with no shade is warm. Plenty of rocks up there but not much else.

Latest posts