Detecting Hydraulic Sluicing Areas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone had any luck detecting around areas that have been worked by hydraulic sluicing? Cheers Tim

No, we briefly tried one spot in Victoria about 6 or 8 years back with no success but I'm sure they'd have left something behind.

Found a few little specimen bits in the bottom of sluiced leads that weren't quite heavy enough to stick in the riffles, but it was obviously quite efficient. Shallow Diggings where they may have thrown one too many shovels onto the mullock heap seem to be better.

I took the family to a snow trip a few years ago, get away from the tropics for a complete tree change. We stayed at Adaminaby, absolutely loved it. On the way to Mt Selwyn, we stopped just after the turn off at Kiandra, and I couldn't help but have a look around the area.
It was really interesting to see it, although most was covered in snow.
What struck me though, was the amount of rubbish still there, hundreds of 44 gallon drums, and because of the climate, a lot are still intact. The amount of rubbish there is amazing. I would love to pan the creek (and also fly fish for trout) there one day. I believe that all prospecting in that area is a no no though.

There was an old Hydraulic mine quarry behind the Albion Hotel in Wesley Hill. Went from there to the railway line beside where the Loddon Prison is now situated. Incidentally the shafts from the Wattle Gully mine in Chewton also ran under that same area. ;)

Latest posts