What's Magnetic, But Not Picked Up By A Metal Detector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It won't let me put a pic up.. but it's defiantly not man made its like a thin piece of shale but tuff and heavy like metal, shinny metallic like inside but black copper like surface outside...

how big is it? if it is a solid 5c or bigger and really is made of any metal then any detector from a 50 year old "toy" to a 6000 will detect it no worries.

hit it with a hammer. does it bend or shatter? if it shatters then it is most likely some mineral - yeah prob magnetite.

I've been fooled by various types of slag, when the detector picked up a good signal and it turned out to be something out of a smelter.

Re non feretic metals;
your spot on Numpty, different grades of stainless.
Most people think stainless is stainless and wonderfull but as it is more expensive than mild steel it comes in different grades depending on the use and ability to keep the price competative. Then cheaper ferritic grades don't have much nickel or molybdenum in and can get rusty ie pet food bowls, nick nack shit out of India and china etc.
then non feritic 304 medium grade, non ferritic 316 best grade ie marine etc, but even with these grades storing water is a problem unless it is osmosis treated water.
The reason for my posting is being a stainless fabricator I thought id make my pick out of 316 non magnetic 6mm steel and the detector wouldn't pick it up as it was classed as non ferritic and non magnetic, ALAS it didn't work, it may not have enough iron in it to make it non magnetic but it is still a ferrous base and my detector squealed like a pig. lol
Good try hey !

Try turning the ground balance off, your machine may be rejecting your target as it thinks it might be ground mineralisation. Page 40 in the manual.

I once had a coil winding like a spring only about 10mm in dia 50mil long but it was copper. I was shocked there was no signal.

Not magnetic however.

aussiefarmer said:
Aluminium or lead maybe ,if they've been burnt can really make your brain tick.

Both of these will send your detector off but won't attract a magnet. BnB has the opposite problem but I can't think of anything that will attract the magnet but not affect the detector.

Latest posts