Counterfeit Checker Tool?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean the gizmo that reveals the hidden symbol in the hologram? You can make-do using a bright light and polarised sunglasses or a polarisation camera filter, with either rotated to get the correct angle. It's a little bit of a fiddle and you need to peer hard, but it worked for me.

grubstake said:
Do you mean the gizmo that reveals the hidden symbol in the hologram? You can make-do using a bright light and polarised sunglasses or a polarisation camera filter, with either rotated to get the correct angle. It's a little bit of a fiddle and you need to peer hard, but it worked for me.

Yes mate, sorry should have said to read hologram.

Ian

Have you contacted Minelab?
I asked a dealer about borrowing or buying one a few years ago - they didn't even have one of their own & didn't seem to know anything much about them.
Best way to check is get the purchase details (dealer, date, purchaser) & serial number then ask Minelab to verify all of the details.
Be aware some counterfeit machines have a "correct" serial number i.e. a correct number has been copied from a legit detector but Minelab will know if the purchase details match or not.
I was looking at a GPX4500 years ago & the serial number was "correct" but the verbally supplied purchase details (no invoice) didn't match Minelab's records - I've checked a lot of used machines over the years with Minelab & they have never asked me for the hologram info?

mbasko said:
Have you contacted Minelab?
I asked a dealer about borrowing or buying one a few years ago - they didn't even have one of their own & didn't seem to know anything much about them.
Best way to check is get the purchase details (dealer, date, purchaser) & serial number then ask Minelab to verify all of the details.
Be aware some counterfeit machines have a "correct" serial number i.e. a correct number has been copied from a legit detector but Minelab will know if the purchase details match or not.
I was looking at a GPX4500 years ago & the serial number was "correct" but the verbally supplied purchase details (no invoice) didn't match Minelab's records - I've checked a lot of used machines over the years with Minelab & they have never asked me for the hologram info?

The hologram symbol matching the serial number via the website, is a quick on-the-spot check for a counterfeit machine or a bogus serial number. Contacting Minelab (in office working hours only), also yields machine age, seller data and any stolen machine reports.

Latest posts