1862 H/penny and unknown

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No gold that day but the 4500 picked up a junky signal. It was about 11in down and what I thought was a button, but saw a few letters so decided it was a coin. Was extremely corroded and what looked like a bullet right through the middle unfortunately. Bloke must have enough money to shoot at or just didn't like Queen Vic. Really had to give it a scrub to ID it properly sadly. The other thing is about 3cm x 1.5cm and about 5mm thick and weighs approx 12gm. Thought it could be a weight off a small set of scales. There is no writing on the back and looks like something was attached to the rear and has broken off.

1637116083_20211116_1.jpg

1637116083_20211116_210.jpg

1637116083_20211116_145511.jpg

Seems to be very large for a cuff link but shape, monogrammed initials and gold gilt would indicate that is the case.

Yes. Mackka. Looks like you're right. Seals are a mirror image, so when they're pressed into wax, sealing a letter envelope, etc, they come out the correct way. I held it up to a mirror, which reversed it. wiley. Goldmbr2020, how about a photo of the back to work out what could have been on there?

Thanks all for the great responses which have definitely shed some light on the item. Wiley; I've attached the rear shot which doesn't appear disclose much but may to the keen eye. A seal seems to be likely more I look at it. Also, in the diggings I've been in recently there are many and I mean more than fifty half buried and on the surface discarded metal bucket looking items. No idea how many are actually fully buried but some places it's impossible to put the coil on the ground without it going berserk. Wider and bigger than a bucket with a a sliding fixture/attachment on the bottom. So disappointed that they have been scattered everywhere and they do play havoc with a PI detector. Sorry, photos are a bit ordinary.

Cheers GM20

1637396775_hcote0_191835_1.jpg

1637396775_hcote0_191835_2.jpg

Latest posts