Headphone compatible hat.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Interested to hear how others manage to keep a hat on over headphones. If I go to dig and take the phones off then the cap comes off. Trivial question but I have been using sunscreen and foregoing the hat, cap which I don't like to do. Thanks everyone. Angela

Thanks Diggit, I am always alert and check out any place I start to detect A "bushwacking", lets hope not.

GreenRiver said:
Interested to hear how others manage to keep a hat on over headphones. If I go to dig and take the phones off then the cap comes off. Trivial question but I have been using sunscreen and foregoing the hat, cap which I don't like to do. Thanks everyone. Angela

G'day from another Nambour-ite.

depending where I am in the world I normally wear a baseball cap because the headphones keeps the sun off ya ears, I always wear a shirt with a collar so the sun on my neck is not a problem.

Hope that helps.

John.

Thanks fellas, I try to follow the shade. Started detecting a couple of months ago, so not looking forward to doing this in the summer months.

I use the camo hat
they are cool in summer
1504042126_camo_hat.jpg
and if you don't like your face or chin covered you can keep the front loose or tuck it behind your neck.
Ear Phones fit neat over the cap.

Thanks everyone, you'd be seen a miles in some of those bright headgear. No being discreet. I agree covering up is essential to avoid more than the sun.
Balmain Bob, are you spending the cooler months in Clermont?. A lot of history in that area. I grew up there and have a lot of relatives in the area..

A good thing about the frillneck in summer is you can wet it with water and wring it out and it keeps you cool around the neck and head. :)

I forgot to mention that the funnel web hat is a good idea, but i was a bit disappointed they used cardboard in the brim instead of plastic. All though i have used it for some time, i wouldn't wont to get it wet.

GreenRiver,
Im planing to head off as soon as I get back some gear that i sent to Minelab to be fixed. I will be here for atleast another week or so. Im still working out the trip but want to head out to Tiboorburra on the way back to Hill End
Bob

Great question Angela.
I can tell you I've tried them all.
I'm fair skinned and burn very easily.
My sequence of trial from oldest to most recent is:
I started with cap, block out sunscreen and head phones.
Then modified the cap to add a back of neck cloth like a foreign legion hat and still used headphones.
Then bought a funnel webb hat with cut outs for head phones. Good, but looks a little daggy ...... I'm a little vain and like to look cool, hahaha!
Have now settled on an Indiana style full brimmed hat and earphones. Certainly my preference now. Used this combo in 30+ C heat in FNQ. Worked a treat and looked the part.
However, did try a few different pairs of earphones from a cheap pair from Officeworks to my iPone earphones and eventually settled on a relatively expensive, about $90, Sennheiser earphones. Fortunately my son gave me the Sennheiser's because he upgraded. They work a treat.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Oh ..... Forgot to add that I've used an external speaker and broad rimmed hat too, and in cooler cloudy weather go back to cap and headphones. I do prefer the over ear headphones and cap but just can't do it in the heat and sun for surety of getting sunburn.

Maybe its just my issue, wearing a hat and headphones together, Ive never been able to manage the two as well as a fly net and wondered to myself how others go with it?
On my first gold prospecting season (2017) I settled on using a broad brimmed straw hat (Bunnings variety) with a fully enclosed fly net with the Minelab Wireless Audio Module WM 12
Last year in readiness for a trip north to Clermont (didnt godont ask), I purchased a SP01 signal enhancer after hearing the rave reviews here and thinking incorrectly that I could just plug this into the WM12 and hear signals from the WM12 speaker
Ive since learned that the WM12 operates as either 1) A wireless audio module or 2) a wireless means of connection between an SP01 unit and the detector. The latter requiring headphones or audio speakers to hear the signal (please correct me of I'm wrong)

A special shout-out to Pat at Steelphase for his excellent prompt communication and turn-around time on a recent warranty repair, thanks to him Ill be taking my SP01 to WA next week for a 5 week prospect!!!!!
I hope to be adding some positive feedback to the Steelphase thread if Im lucky enough to find gold

At this stage, Ill be adding a pair of Koss headphones to my outfit and am curious how others arrange their headware along with headphones and flynet?

Bazza

Latest posts