Aftermarket Batteries For GPX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, damn... that $4.95 Chinese Multimeter really makes me want to rush right out and buy it..

This part is a bit of fluff

Stock Battery for your SD or GP Machine, 4 pounds Cost $128,
x 2 = $256, Car Charger $172, Home Charger $51 = Total $479
requires long curly power cord, and large heavy battery
Stock Battery for your GPX machine $461. plus charger Home $66, Car $33
requires long curly cord, large size battery. Total $560

You get all the above mentioned when you buy your detector, so its basically him trying to justify the price..
Its a good system, and $469 is a fair price..

Alternative is: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-...51450874650?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item3a8ba3db1a

And for SD-GP: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-...51450874635?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item3a8ba3db0b

Honestly it isn't too good to be true, its just a working system, like the one from Detectormods..

I'm using the LT (detectormods) battery on my GP Extreme, Can swing all day, no problem.. I'm told they last longer on the GPX machines..
Mine just velcro to the side of the detector.. Either way it was money well spent, if you don't want to be tethered to the detector.

On a youtube video ,somewhere , i saw a bloke who had a smaller battery with the same power as a factory battery `to suit a GPX4500 or GPX5000 ,that he had attached to the side of the machine and it didn`t weigh much at all. This made the detector wirefree ,if also using the wireless headphones.

Any idea who makes these and how much they might be worth ,please ? Are they reliable ? Would they void the minelab warranty ?

Thanks .

FOZ

Hi FOZ, Minelab make one themselves that is less than half the weight of the standard one. Here's a pic of one on the Miners Den site-

http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-gpx-small-battery

I also HATE being attached, and I never did like that battery pouch on the back of the GPX 5000 harness, so I bought one of these from DD Leather-

https://doubledleather.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=75

I run the standard battery in it, but you can also get one for the half size battery I'm pretty sure.

I bought the Deteknix wireless kit, but for some reason it played up for me the first couple of times I used it so I didn't bother with it anymore. What I did do though was buy a longer lead from Steelpat that goes from the battery headphone outlet socket to my sP01 on my belt. That means when I want to dig a hole I just unclip the bungy at the harness, place the detector down on the ground well clear of me and I can dig a hole without taking the phones off of my head, and lean across to pick up the 5000 if I want to go check the hole again. I keep the excess length of the lead over my arm while detecting so it doesn't catch on bushes and such.

The added bonus is that the old battery pouch on the back of the harness is now good for keeping my miners license in, along with two snake bite bandages.

LOL, just saw that DykeHead posted the mindersden link while I was writing the above :Y:

Thanks for the reply, fellas.

3 hours doesn`t give you much time ,does it ? I get annoyed at being attached to everything .
When you are carrying a pick over your shoulder with one hand and a detector in the other hand and 2 cords protruding out of the back of your harness and the bungee in the front , i feel like an octopus. Too many tentacles.

Digging targets starts to become a hassle. And getting the cords all caught up in bushes or branches isn`t fun ,either. Not to mention trying to tune the machine while all hooked up to it. I also wear a jacket full of pockets under my harness to put all of my essentials and finds in and have a jumper under that to keep warm ,so everything gets bulky. Gotta lighten up. If i can ditch the battery and harness from my body , i`m laughing.

I am going to use the wireless headphones i bought for the garrett ,so that takes one cord out of the way and i wan to eliminate the battery cord ,too.

Maybe i could leave the battery at home and see how it goes !!!!!!!!

There must be someone who does a better slimline battery to suit . Wish i knew where i saw this video.

Allso Detectormods sell a battery smaller than the half size minelab one which isn,t made anymore anyway, Detector mods one lasts 7 hours you get a small lead , 12 volt charger and a 240 volt charger for around 160bucks and it works great for me .

Will post some photo's of what your after have it all setup that way overall very happy with it Dangle Free :Y:

Bluetooth stereo headset & receiver very clear clean & crisp sound... :Y:
Small Minelab battery 3 to 4 hrs use (or the standard battery not much weight difference ) also have a spare but just charge this one up at lunchtime and gets me through to day no worries... :Y:
Short custom made power lead and Spo1 leads compliments from Nenad :Y:

1569360584_img_1221.jpg

1569360720_img_1222.jpg

1569360740_img_1223.jpg

Thanks, Gravity . What are the approx measurements of the minelab battery ? On a good day with multiple targets , how long would it last ? Robmoto , do you know approx size of detectormod's battery , please ? Thanks . Foz

Detectormod battery is about the size of a cigarette packet. I use the double one (2 cig. pack size)Velcro'd to side of control box and weight is minimal. It lasts me two days fully charged, but I would rather charge daily if day is a long session. My Pro sonic transmitter is attached to it and receiver to my Kos headphones..totally hands free. Only improvement would be cordless headphones as I have now added sP01 and have cords all over the place.

Battery is 100mm tall by 55mm wide, Battery power all depends on the size of your coil the bigger it is the more power it will take...I use a 17x13 Evo and get around 4 hrs out of it, smaller coils will make the battery last about an hr or so longer but must admit I often change over to the standard battery as it also balances the weight of the Evo a little better because its at the rear of the shaft. As said I'm very happy with the setup :Y:

Gravity said:
Will post some photo's of what your after have it all setup that way overall very happy with it Dangle Free :Y:

Bluetooth stereo headset & receiver very clear clean & crisp sound... :Y:
Small Minelab battery 3 to 4 hrs use (or the standard battery not much weight difference ) also have a spare but just charge this one up at lunchtime and gets me through to day no worries... :Y:
Short custom made power lead and Spo1 leads compliments from Nenad :Y:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5190/1569360584_img_1221.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5190/1569360720_img_1222.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5190/1569360740_img_1223.jpg
what is the latency of the bluetooth setup ?

Gravity said:
Battery is 100mm tall by 55mm wide, Battery power all depends on the size of your coil the bigger it is the more power it will take...I use a 17x13 Evo and get around 4 hrs out of it, smaller coils will make the battery last about an hr or so longer but must admit I often change over to the standard battery as it also balances the weight of the Evo a little better because its at the rear of the shaft. As said I'm very happy with the setup :Y:

Good point Gravity. I'm running the NF 25" DDX at the moment, and I've moved the control box/battery as far back as I can to help counter the weight. I doubt the solution would be anywhere near as effective with a battery that is 42% or less lighter.

Latest posts