Panning close to perth

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justoverthehill

Wandering around looking at rocks
Reaction score
After watching a fair few videos with youtubers panning for gold I want to try and give it a crack. Anyone know if we can do it close to Perth or is the land here all a no go until you hit UCL land? Wouldn't mind giving some dry panning a shot as well.

Hi mate. Google Geoview (Dpt of Mining & Petroleum) and turn on the the setting called Cadastre. Then zoom in and take a look at some Crown Land locations, including rivers. Maybe Ellenbrook, top of Swan River, Avon might be worth a crack.

Phil8303 said:
Hi mate. Google Geoview (Dpt of Mining & Petroleum) and turn on the the setting called Cadastre. Then zoom in and take a look at some Crown Land locations, including rivers. Maybe Ellenbrook, top of Swan River, Avon might be worth a crack.

Thanks mate I will jump on and check it out and hopefully find a spot!

1st up, WA is a minefield of overlapping jurisdictions.
2nd, you cannot prospect in state forest & national parks. Period. (Unless you are a huge mining company with loads of $$ to throw around), & this includes all rivers & streams within them. If you are within a water catchment area, WaterCorp will :poop: on you.
3rdly, there is not much gold in the rivers anyway. ie, SFA.
. The Boddington gold mine is the only real gold area outside the regular inland goldfields, that is close to any river that runs anywhere near Perth. (there are small deposits outside Donnybrook, all state forest, NP, & private property. 1 guy does actually have a SPL down there)
If you are really keen, your best bet is to identify a likely area on private farmland, & OBTAIN THE FARMERS PERMISSION. Despite what the prospecting rules may say, if you trespass, farmers have been known to go hunting vermin, where you may happen to be. Very unpleasant altercations then occur.
Sorry to blow your idea away, but many have contemplated your idea before.

Latest posts