Digging up relics - Some advice needed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gidday;
(This was also posted to another forum, thought I would try here as well as this is more active)

Our family property was the epicentre of a rather large township, 800 plus people once called it home, back in the 1850's (and possibly earlier). One of the few paddocks that has not being ploughed heavily multiple times also happens to be the site of the old towns pub (complete with cellar). There is one part of the foundations still visible, although I am not sure which part of the building this relates to, as there are no records, plans, photos or drawings of the pub in existence.

My questions are:

• What would be the best method to effectively recover as many relics/items as possible?[/*]
  • How deep should I look (with the exception of the cellar)?[/*]
  • What coins or other currency could I expect to find?[/*]
  • Total long shot considering the area - Was gold used as a form of payment back in those days?[/*]

Excavation is a no go at the moment as there is livestock in the said paddock (4 legged mower), this also eliminates being able to peg/string out grid lines. I am hoping to convince the old man re excavation as I would really like to locate the cellar, but unless I uncovered relics of (considerable) value I think I know his response, and it wouldn't be "Get digging" :argh: :lol:

Maybe try and locate previous owners and see if they can help with the design of the pub-ask some elder locals in the area if they can assist as well. :)

I would dig along foundation line most likely in a corner both sides or near a doorway , this would give you an idea for depth , start 1x1mtr and expect to extend 2x2 or 1x3, if its dry enough dig and scrap and seive , 1inch or 1/2inch seive would catch the goodies.
If you have access to a treasure detector that could tell you the best starting point , there should be heaps of iron noise from nails ect but if you had a treasure detector it may indicate other metals therefore give the best chance of good relics.

HoudiniHarry said:
Hi Cranky, depends where you are located. Victoria has relic laws. Anything over 50 years old is classed as a relic. Therefore it must be left in situ. Just letting you know. Cheers
Are you telling me HH, that if I detected a gold Sov buried a few inches deep at an old pub site in Vic.that I would have to just leave it there... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are a lucky lucky person Cranky.

Detect all of the paddocks.

Detect all the area where the pub was, close and far. There would have also been stables, other housing etc.

Ploughing will be good and bad. Some targets will get buried and some over time will come up again. Where it is unploughed targets could still be close to the surface.

If 1850s onwards then you could find all sorts of coinage including earlier. Cartwheels and cut cartwheels were used as weights and so yes, any gold could have been weighed in exchange for goods etc. Also there would be relics like buckles and buttons and all sorts of other things.

If you have more than one detector use them all. If you have more than one coil use them all.

Be prepared to dig a lot of rubbish. Don't throw anything out without at least a quick clean and a second look. A piece of scrap metal could be a remnant of a powder flask.

I detect cow paddocks which, in the gold rush days, had scattered huts and tents on the verge of an old township. I wish you all the luck in the world. You will have lots of fun.

HoudiniHarry said:
Hi Cranky, depends where you are located. Victoria has relic laws. Anything over 50 years old is classed as a relic. Therefore it must be left in situ. Just letting you know. Cheers
Awww geez, does that mean I'm not allowed to take mum out for dinner?
Nope, she's over 50, better leave her in situ :( ;)

Jaros said:
Maybe try and locate previous owners and see if they can help with the design of the pub-ask some elder locals in the area if they can assist as well. :)
Previous owners all reside in the local cemetery these days. And sadly it is the same deal with most of the older generation who would have had some idea. This was near on 200 years ago, so finding someone with good knowledge of it is going to be a long shot.

aussiefarmer said:
I would dig along foundation line most likely in a corner both sides or near a doorway , this would give you an idea for depth , start 1x1mtr and expect to extend 2x2 or 1x3, if its dry enough dig and scrap and seive , 1inch or 1/2inch seive would catch the goodies.
If you have access to a treasure detector that could tell you the best starting point , there should be heaps of iron noise from nails ect but if you had a treasure detector it may indicate other metals therefore give the best chance of good relics.
Thanks for the tips. As for doorways, I have no idea of the layout of the old building. Only thing remaining visible is a single line of stone foundation, which sits on the road side of the fence. This foundation could have being from the pub itself out out-buildings etc. Once it stops raining I will have another go, I have a Nokta AU. I did do a initial detect and dug up: Half a pair of wool shears, Wire dog chain, Handle from something, an old buckle - most likely from a saddle etc going by size, copper rivet and a few other bits I can't identify. The deepest was at 1.5 foot, with the majority being 3-6 inches below current surface. It is pretty gravelly type soil with small (lots of) rocks. Interestingly, it is not as mineralised as other paddocks on the property. Around our house, most the ground there if you stripped the top layer and run a magnet along the ground it will be chocked with little stones.

HoudiniHarry said:
Wasn't aware of that. What is actually classed as a relic? Because I have done an initial detect and dug a few items :argh:

HoudiniHarry said:
Private and public property. It is in place to protect relics.
It's a bit odd. No one (to my knowledge) has ever bothered with looking for anything here, with the exception of the old bottle shop (bottle collectors) have had a crack at it a few times over the years that I am aware of. I can remember as kids we dug it up and found some old bottles with the marbles in the neck, don't know what became of them.

Detectist said:
You are a lucky lucky person Cranky.

Detect all of the paddocks.

Detect all the area where the pub was, close and far. There would have also been stables, other housing etc.

Ploughing will be good and bad. Some targets will get buried and some over time will come up again. Where it is unploughed targets could still be close to the surface.

If 1850s onwards then you could find all sorts of coinage including earlier. Cartwheels and cut cartwheels were used as weights and so yes, any gold could have been weighed in exchange for goods etc. Also there would be relics like buckles and buttons and all sorts of other things.

If you have more than one detector use them all. If you have more than one coil use them all.

Be prepared to dig a lot of rubbish. Don't throw anything out without at least a quick clean and a second look. A piece of scrap metal could be a remnant of a powder flask.

I detect cow paddocks which, in the gold rush days, had scattered huts and tents on the verge of an old township. I wish you all the luck in the world. You will have lots of fun.
Thanks. As mentioned in a previous reply, I have already found half a pair of wool shears, wire dog chain, handle to something, buckle which by size I am guessing came from a saddle or similar. Plus some other bits I cannot identify, one looks like a big steel peg, the others (very corroded) look like wire bent into an L shape, but they appear to have been a lot thicker in diameter then what they are now.

1632224330_numbas.jpg

1. Buckle
2. Unknown
3. Copper rivet
4. Handle from something
5, Wire dog chain (part thereof)
6. Unknown

It has being raining pretty heavy of late, so haven't searched anymore. The ground is gravelly and lots of small stones, and it clogs together (not clay). Once it clears up I will take another look.

Latest posts