Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I have a Sovereign xs 2 pro that I haven't used a lot for a few years. It was kept in the UK for use when I visited. A few years ago I bought a Tesoro Tejon to use there as it is much lighter. I have the Sov. here now and thinking of using it again on the beaches and land here. My question is are there still parts and accessories still available for this detector and is it worth keeping it or trading up to a more modern machine. It has found me a lot of good finds over the years but it is heavy and I'm not getting any younger. The Garrett Infinium looks like a good around machine how would these compare. Any dealers also feel free to comment.

Appreciate your comments

Tom

A guy I detect with has a XS and a GT, he chooses to use the XS when he goes out...

Parts and repairs would be an issue, but it is rare for solid state electronics to fail, and if the knobs cause you grief they are easily replaced or cleaned with deoxit

I don't know what a infinium weighs but I can't see it being lighter than a sovereign - especially if you get the shoulder bag set up which would make your sovereign lighter to swing than the tesoro.

Thanks for the feedback Ben. It has been a good machine and the only reason I replaced it with the Tesoro was weight. I will give it a go and maybe see what other coils are available for it. It hasn't done a lot of work maybe one or two full charges every two or so years since I got it new as it stayed in the UK.

Cheers Tom

Does anyone have any experiance or views on the Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro or other Sovereign models, particularly in terms of depth and coping with mineralised soil.

Yes, still a great detector. Will handle most soils from wet sand to partly mineralised clays. Not the ideal choice for high iron goldfield soil though. In terms of depth, all Sovereigns are still right up there and compare with the best on the market today.

PhaseTech said:
Yes, still a great detector. Will handle most soils from wet sand to partly mineralised clays. Not the ideal choice for high iron goldfield soil though. In terms of depth, all Sovereigns are still right up there and compare with the best on the market today.
+1
Still a great machine , a tad big and heavy but bag mount the unit and its comfortable enough to use.

A mate of mine who doesn't detect anymore used to have one he would pull out when there was tons of junk. He found some pretty good gold with it too. Best I saw him score was a specie with 10oz in it. Wasn't flash on little bits but did well on the bigger stuff for what it was.

Looking at buying a secondhand XS-2 Pro,does anyone have one?,are they a decent detector for their age?
any info would be helpfull

I do not have one 2 friends do and they are both happy with them. They are a bit of a learning curve there is plenty info on you tube regards john :)

Hello all,

I am new to metal detecting, and am looking to pick up a metal detector to start with.

There is a Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro for $650 that i am very interested in, as they sound like quality pieces of kit..

My question is.. should i be going for this detector (considering it has been discontinued since 2000) or should i be looking at a X-terra 705 or something else entirely.

I intend to spend most of my time on the beach, but want a good all-rounder..

What would you be doing in my position?

Thanks!

Brilliant beach detector, just be aware they may not be able to be serviced. But most Sovereigns are bulletproof. Leaves the Xterras for dead on wet sand