Minelab Gold Tester is a paper weight

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a Pro Alloy gold tester a couple of years ago, and used it a few times to buy some scrap. Now when I try to use the 'wand' I find that it has dried out. Minelab no longer supply the consumable wand for the KS-509GM and had no knowledge or interest in helping to locate a supplier of the wand.
KEE now does a M-509GM for about $500.
So moral of the story is to be wary buying gold testers. Seems they are like mobile phones,. You can get screwed next time the new model comes out.
On the off chance someone has a replacement want for the KS-509 GM which was marketed and sold by Minelab as the Pro Alloy tester, please let me know.

You are correct but even as a paper weight they are not heavy enough.
My first ML unit crashed and burned due to not being able to procure replacement wands. I soaked the tip in a salt solution for several minutes and it worked for a test or two but then failed again when it dried d out.
Then i found another brand unit (Identical to the ML unit) in the States and it worked fine until the probe dried out .

Now I use a GXL-24PRO.
It works well but is limited by the availability of test solution which has to come from the States. I find this unit to be more accurate/reliable than the Pro Alloy. Also still use an acid test kit that when used carefully gives good results.
1638826123_rscn3150.jpg

Latest posts