Where to dig?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, i'm quite new with fossicking but i love doing that, said so, once you guys decide a spot where to dig, how do you decide where to dig? Looking for little pieces on the surface? Try to dig a small hole to see if there is anything? Thanks everyone!

You need to work out what other stones are usually found with your target be it gold or gems , gold I would be looking for heavies like basalt etc , sapphires I would be looking for spinal and if your talking about creeks and rivers I would start with a inside bend just after the apex and hopefully behind a large rock or structure that would cause a dead zone in floods.
There's alot to learn on how gold and gems behave in floods and understanding that and being able to picture these movements when its not in flood will get you going.

Best thing is get a pan and test pan lots of spots thinking about what I've said and see what rocks you have left when your pans getting empty, these should be your heavies , gold and gems are both heavy and should be the last out of your pan, being heavy they won't be on the surface and you won't find them by walking along looking you need to dig and pan.

Hi KesTwo,

In addition to Aussie Farmer's awesome advice, I would suggest knowing as much detail as possible about what you are going to look for and do some research on the related ground rock/soil that the gem is found in. Google where others have found that kind of gem and try and determine the type of grounds and ideally exact locations of those finds. Scope out areas as much as possible (both online and in-person).

Sometimes there are specific gems that will glow under a UV light, so you might decide to check some spots at night with a black light, but you will definitely want to research. I would say you will likely need to dig and pick around some places as gemstones don't usually fall in your lap (most good things never do).

All the best.

Hi Kestwo,

I am also a relative beginner having only really done maybe 40-50 hours in total, 1 work week isnt alot for any skill but thats spread over 9 months!

I have been entirely looking for sapphires as thats what i am interested in at the moment. My best results have been on the downstream side of a big rock, sometimes upstream depending on the shape of the rock. basically the low pressure zone where the heavies drop out of. Also the inside bend in rivers. I think a great thing to do is go to the same spot in all sorts of weather and water conditions. understand what the river does in a flood and when its dry. This will give you clues as to where the stones or gold are falling. I have also had luck under stones in areas i know sapphires will be (inside of a river bend, back of a big rock).

The other tip is to move alot of dirt! sometimes you get nothing out of a hole until you reach the right layer. Sometimes you hit a great run and then dig through it to nothing. Just alot of pans or sieves as alot of learning is by doing.

happy hunting!

Latest posts