You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

GMT Bandit
18 January 2014 10:38 pm

Finally found gold!!!!!!

It was on a beach and it was a gold ring along with $8 in coins.

I love my GMT!!!!!!

smile

SDC2300, Whites SPP, Whites GMT and Garrett pin pointer.

Greglz86
01 February 2014 03:26 pm

GMT Bandit wrote:

Finally found gold!!!!!!

It was on a beach and it was a gold ring along with $8 in coins.

I love my GMT!!!!!!

smile

Hey bandit. How well did the gmt go on the beach? Did you have to stick to the dry sand?
Greg

GMT Bandit
01 February 2014 10:28 pm

Mate the GMT is a dream on the beach.  I used the standard DD coil on it.  Didn't go near the water, but stayed higher up the beach where people drop the coin.  I couldn't believe it when I found the ring.  Finally I found gold.  Well not a nugget...but it was gold!!!! 

Plus the GMT is paying it self off.  Ok so it'll take about 20 years at this rate LOL.  I had the kids out with the Garrett pin pointer.  I found the hits and they bagged them.  Shame it wasn't a bigger catch.  But it was fun.

Only thing is be careful getting sand and salt water on the controls.  I gave mine a good cleaning when I got back to camp.  Nothing worst than a rusty old GMT.

Definitely worth a crack!!!!    lol

1 user likes this post: ProspectorPete

GMT Bandit
21 March 2014 04:40 pm

I am a believer!

Last weekend I went out with my 6x4.  I've always been a bit reluctant due to it's size but I thought I'd give it a go.
Wow...I literally walked across the road and found an old chinese coin.  It must have fallen out of an old timer as he
sat beside a tree. Then after finding a heap of junk I found a half penny.  This little beauty found stuff in area's I'd already gone over.

I just have to say the garret pin pointer is the best investment I've made.  No more deep holes, this little baby helps me find stuff quick.

fantastic!!!!!

If you're thinking of getting a whites GMT...go for it.  What a great machine, especially for a noob like me!

Greglz86
28 March 2014 06:42 pm

Hey guys
Whats the importance of using the correct sort of batteries? Will standard el'cheapo aa's still do the job?

G0lddigg@
28 March 2014 06:55 pm

Yes they will mate but if youve read the manual whites say change yoir batteries at 50% so you will go throught alot of dough. Better off spending $50 on soke lithium recharges mate

*The real Gold is the Journey and the friends we make
Engineering Gold Sluices and Highbankers

mbasko
28 March 2014 07:49 pm

No they won't - you'll get spurious noises & other issues.  Use as a minimum good quality alkaline batteries. I always used Duracell alkalines & got around the claimed 30-40hrs detecting time before they reached the 50% mark.
Lithium rechargeables might be ok but others will give similar poor results as poor quality or less than alkaline batteries.
Reasons:
Normal battery (heavy duty, general purpose etc.) 1.2v max output
Alkaline battery 1.5v max. output. Because the voltage of an alkaline battery drops at a very predictable rate: 1.5 volts - fully charged, 1.25 volts - 50% charged, 1.0 volts - at the end of its lifecycle. This is why you discard @ 50%. Still around 1.25v or slightly higher than the cheaper types even after nominal 30-40hrs detecting.
Rechargeable batteries are usually all 1.2v max. output
Lithium rechargeable batteries 1.5v max. output.

Basically with anything less than alkaline batteries you are starting off flat.
With 8 x alkalines you start at 12v & finish around 10v @ 50%
Cheapos you start at 9.6v

Last edited by mbasko (28 March 2014 08:36 pm)

Zuke_Lynzy
28 March 2014 07:53 pm

Iv always used energizers and do a few hunts put them back in the box and use them round the house' all new Batteries go though the GMT first in my house!

mbasko
28 March 2014 07:55 pm

Zuke_Lynzy wrote:

Iv always used energizers and do a few hunts put them back in the box and use them round the house' all new Batteries go though the GMT first in my house!

Good to see you have your priorities in order  lol

mbasko
28 March 2014 08:32 pm

Edited my post on batteries to better show reasons not to use elcheapos.

Zuke_Lynzy
28 March 2014 10:04 pm

Camera batteries are best and hold current well but pricey iv always wanted to try the whites rechargeable pack has anyone ?

Greglz86
28 March 2014 10:35 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. The fact that the el cheapo ones from golo wont be as good is actually quite comforting.
Last time I was out I used the cheap ones and I found it wasnt picking up the test piece as well as it should have.
I still managed to find the odd small lead pellet but put the problem with the test piece down to bad ground.
I changed to the cheap batteries while I was out and being as im a bit slow its been a month for me to click as what the problem could have been  ops

G0lddigg@
28 March 2014 11:05 pm

Im guessing we may have a different interpretation of El cheapo batteries. I certainly never buy noname from the $2 shop but theres plenty of good cheap batteries like everready gold for example you can pick up a 24 pack fir about $25 they work fine in a gmt

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A91.pdf

*The real Gold is the Journey and the friends we make
Engineering Gold Sluices and Highbankers

Greglz86
28 March 2014 11:49 pm

Yep. The last ones I bought were about $3 for 8.
ops

mbasko

Greglz86
29 March 2014 10:27 am

Those are some good prices. Thanks mate.

mbasko
29 March 2014 12:49 pm

Zuke_Lynzy wrote:

Camera batteries are best and hold current well but pricey iv always wanted to try the whites rechargeable pack has anyone ?

Was thinking about one for my SST but then read this:

Whites Electronics wrote:

The White's Rechargeable Nicad battery will not provide the same amount of continuous use as a full set of Alkaline batteries.

Would be ok if your close to home & can charge it regularly or have an alkaline set spare but for $145 you would be better off with normal rechargables or lithium rechargables that can be replaced by cell rather than the whole battery pack I.e. if one or a few batteries prematurely die then you can replace those if 1 or more cells go in the pack you would need to replace it as a whole?
Whites manual says the alkalines will still allow normal operation even just below 8v, although I would still stick to replacing at 50% or around 10v to ensure max performance,  while any rechargables are "dead" at 8v & require recharging.
One of the first things that happens, according to Whites, when the voltage is getting low is a drop in volume so to make sure your getting those faint signals keeping voltage at those optimum levels is a good idea.
For mine I'll stick with alkalines until I come across a good, reasonably priced rechargeable lithium system.

Still Looking
29 March 2014 03:46 pm

The 30 pk duracells from Bunnings look to be the go for the exterra 305 ..thanks for the info..

Minelab GP3000 /X Terra 305 / Garret Pro Pointer/Gold Snoop (Jack Lange detectors)

Sparra
29 March 2014 07:18 pm

Hey fella's...I have had my GMT for a total of 3 days and been doing a bit of playing...I lost a small sinker in long grass in the back yard but found it again today so it is working...Just a question with the ground balance...In auto tracking do you still need to push the grab button or does it automatically ground balance when you first turn it on??? If you need to use the grab button to balance do you hold it in while pumping or just push,release and pump???
Hope this makes sense...

Cheers...Sparra

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

Zuke_Lynzy
29 March 2014 07:48 pm

As you sweep it will automatically ground balance in auto trac' you can also press grab and it will jump to the ground you were just on but as you sweep further on it will continue to change ground balance it does work well and simple to use.

Sparra
29 March 2014 07:56 pm

Cheers...Thanks mate...

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

GMT Bandit
08 June 2014 06:02 pm

Well I can honestly say I've been bitten by the gold bug....well actually it was a bull ant and god it hurt!!!!! Damn thing bit through my jeans. Took a week to get over. Oh the pain.

KarlS
08 June 2014 07:26 pm

mbasko wrote:

No they won't - you'll get spurious noises & other issues. Use as a minimum good quality alkaline batteries. I always used Duracell alkalines & got around the claimed 30-40hrs detecting time before they reached the 50% mark.
Lithium rechargeables might be ok but others will give similar poor results as poor quality or less than alkaline batteries.
Reasons:
Normal battery (heavy duty, general purpose etc.) 1.2v max output
Alkaline battery 1.5v max. output. Because the voltage of an alkaline battery drops at a very predictable rate: 1.5 volts - fully charged, 1.25 volts - 50% charged, 1.0 volts - at the end of its lifecycle. This is why you discard @ 50%. Still around 1.25v or slightly higher than the cheaper types even after nominal 30-40hrs detecting.
Rechargeable batteries are usually all 1.2v max. output
Lithium rechargeable batteries 1.5v max. output.

Basically with anything less than alkaline batteries you are starting off flat.
With 8 x alkalines you start at 12v & finish around 10v @ 50%
Cheapos you start at 9.6v

This is incorrect . All nonrechargable batteries regardless if they are alkaline, heavy duty, or carbon zinc are 1.5 Volts . And all of them are fully discharge for most of applications when the voltage drops to 1,2 Volts. The internal resistance of battery increase and the battery can not supply required current. Rechargable NiCad type battery internal resistance at 1.2 Volts is low and that's why it can operate in most of applications past the 1.2 Volts.
There is new type rechargable battery that is fully charged 1.6 Volts. ZnFe, look it up on eBay. I'm using them in Pentax camera and in Exterra 705.
Karl

White's SPP, XTERRA 705, old Tandy detector

KarlS
09 June 2014 05:37 pm

Correction to previous post, 1.6V rechargable batteries are NiZn , nickel zinc, not ZnFe as in my previous post. My tablet do this to me all the time. I type something and it prints something else.
Karl

White's SPP, XTERRA 705, old Tandy detector

Wolfau
13 June 2014 01:43 am

My GMT arrived from the USA.

I am very impressed with what I have seen just playing with it.

It cost $550 AUS and included delivery and got a 4" swedish made knife with belt pouch with it though it
was used once the guy sells these and threw it in.

Had the gmts serial verified by the man himself Jimmy S.

Its in excellent condition and coil looks new.

Very happy with purchase.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site