You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

06 November 2013 08:59 pm

G'day Rosco I tried the settings mentioned on her i ran on manual not the auto track setting tried to get a slighty hot coil on the down stroke to get a little bit of noise as it goes down toward the ground but I kept having to dig because i was getting what seemed a good signal.

Zuke Lynzy I am in Melbourne but would happily drive and meet you anywhere you'd want to go. Any day I am pretty flexible.

2014 will be the year of gold...... 2013 sure wasn't... I am using in my hunt for Gold a GMT GOldmaster standard equipment, panning equipment, Creek sluce. And a whole bunch of gut feeling... Added a brand new whites tdi with 4 additional coils.

Zuke_Lynzy
06 November 2013 09:17 pm

newbie I could meet you at Greytown one weekend maybe in two weeks
Iv got a few quartz areas that we could go over to see what's there could easy fill a day in
Cook a BBQ lunch few beers sound ok?

06 November 2013 10:03 pm

Sounds great. A Saturday suits me best Ill pack the Eski..

2014 will be the year of gold...... 2013 sure wasn't... I am using in my hunt for Gold a GMT GOldmaster standard equipment, panning equipment, Creek sluce. And a whole bunch of gut feeling... Added a brand new whites tdi with 4 additional coils.

Zuke_Lynzy
06 November 2013 10:17 pm

Great! I'll send you a PM with a few days notice possibly next sat.

Roscoe
07 November 2013 02:14 pm

Its a same i live so far away from you fellows, would liked to of come to. Sounds like a good day out, good luck...roscoe

Zuke_Lynzy
19 November 2013 10:48 pm

Me and newbie had our day out last sat' played with some settings looked at some different ground and did some detecting  no luck with the yellow tho. the ground was realy bad for VLF  Actually drove me mad' just too hot but the beers and lunch was great! Great to meet newbie really nice bloke and hope to plan the next trip soon.

Ben78
20 November 2013 10:21 am

Reading this and watching the Gerry's video almost makes me want to get a GMT.. Then I remember just how frustrating hot rocks are grrrrr cold rocks are easy with the boing but thos hot ones that just zip zip zip like a nice sweet target.....

Someone tell me that the GMT has an awesome hotrock ignore feature!!!

Digging for gold in the Peel Fault. Currently using Gold Bug SE and all sorts of other paraphernalia!

Zuke_Lynzy
20 November 2013 12:55 pm

Unfortunately it doesn't but with enough practice you can tell 70% of hot rocks by ear.
Iron discrimination settings set "correct" will  also cover the other 30%  but the learning process will drive most ppl up the wall I still find areas that I have to walk away from.
They can be picked up second hand now for $400+
Auto trac will decay the hot rock signal after a few sweeps this is what I depend  on
Sweep side to side If it's not a sharp signal  both ways keep going

20 November 2013 01:22 pm

Totally right you can tell them after a couple of sweeps it has most difficulty where there are a couple together. Then it has trouble to auto track them out. That really hot area was pretty noisy and the coil gets a little chatty when it's bummed but spending a day just watching someone who knows the machine is quite good. Been messing around with mine at home I think I want to you with the threshold a bit more. Make it really quite this would work for coin shooting really well or even beach hunting on the dry sand. The unit can make a fair bit of noise on wet ground quite a bit chatty so you could miss small targets. Or just get fed up with it.

Using this detector is kinda like fishing with worms it's tried it's proven but you need a lot of patience. The small coil looks good to get in the tight spots. On the right ground this thing could be deadly.

Thanks again Zuke-Lynzy hope you weren't to late back.

20 November 2013 01:27 pm

Sorry I should read my post be for clicking post. I want to do more playing with the threshold. Try and get it so you barely hear the hum then listen for any sound. I was practising with coins and it screams at you even at about 6-7 inchs. It picked up a ring at that depth to very easily. Could be great to use that swing on the beach with the threshold down till you hear nothing. You target still screams at you.

Roscoe
20 November 2013 05:07 pm

I bought the nokia md-11 booster speakers and fitted them to the GMT as Mbasko suggested. They work a treat, i can run on 4-5 gain and hear targets as if i was in gain of 7. The volume they put out with such a low threshold setting is amazing. The lower gain stops a lot of those hot rock effects and still gives good sensitivity to targets. You can really hear the chatter of the threshold better which was caused by EMI. If i tried to run over a gain of 4 on the weekend the chatter could be heard.Unfortunately no gold this trip, but i highly recommend these speakers. They cost $24.00 from OZ and free postage, a bargain i thought...roscoe

Last edited by Roscoe (20 November 2013 05:09 pm)

Greglz86
20 November 2013 05:16 pm

Roscoe wrote:

I bought the nokia md-11 booster speakers and fitted them to the GMT as Mbasko suggested. They work a treat, i can run on 4-5 gain and hear targets as if i was in gain of 7. The volume they put out with such a low threshold setting is amazing. The lower gain stops a lot of those hot rock effects and still gives good sensitivity to targets. You can really hear the chatter of the threshold better which was caused by EMI. If i tried to run over a gain of 4 on the weekend the chatter could be heard.Unfortunately no gold this trip, but i highly recommend these speakers. They cost $24.00 from OZ and free postage, a bargain i thought...roscoe

Thats handy to know. I might try this over the summer as I dont like wearing headphones in the heat. The only downside im guessing would be the battery life.
How do you reckon the batteries hold up running a speaker?
Regards greg

Roscoe
20 November 2013 05:32 pm

I have run the booster speakers for one full day and the batteries are still going strong.

GMT Bandit
30 December 2013 02:09 am

Went out to the white swan near ballarat today.  I bought the gold atlas of Victoria which indicated that 2 large nuggets where found near there.  Unfortunately it's fenced off and was unable to get near to where the nuggets where found.  Also the atlas didn't give me an idea of the depth they where found at.  So I kept driving till I found what seemed to be a good area.  Lots of old digs and one shaft that was so deep I couldn't see the bottom.  Down side was that there was a lot of shell casings and garbage.  Found a horse shoe and some nails.  Dug out a twisted god knows what.  It was a great chance to try out my Xmas present to myself - the Garrett pin pointer.  Saved so much time digging.  Found the garbage straight up lol.
So any words of wisdom for a frustrated newbie??? I'm going to try and do some beach prospecting to get my confidence back up.  I just find digging up all this crap a little demoralising.  But I guess you've got to do your time. 8)

Last edited by GMT Bandit (30 December 2013 02:11 am)

SDC2300, Whites SPP, Whites GMT and Garrett pin pointer.

30 December 2013 08:25 am

GMT Bandit, Sounds like the area is not going to be right for the machine. If there are holes that are too deep it means the old timers were looking for reef gold to deep for our machines. On the Atlas look for areas of surfacing and shallow diggings this is going to be your best chance mate. Work the tailing piles also you might get lucky on what the old timers missed.

G0lddigg@
30 December 2013 09:08 am

GMT Bandit wrote:

Went out to the white swan near ballarat today.  I bought the gold atlas of Victoria which indicated that 2 large nuggets where found near there.  Unfortunately it's fenced off and was unable to get near to where the nuggets where found.  Also the atlas didn't give me an idea of the depth they where found at.  So I kept driving till I found what seemed to be a good area.  Lots of old digs and one shaft that was so deep I couldn't see the bottom.  Down side was that there was a lot of shell casings and garbage.  Found a horse shoe and some nails.  Dug out a twisted god knows what.  It was a great chance to try out my Xmas present to myself - the Garrett pin pointer.  Saved so much time digging.  Found the garbage straight up lol.
So any words of wisdom for a frustrated newbie??? I'm going to try and do some beach prospecting to get my confidence back up.  I just find digging up all this crap a little demoralising.  But I guess you've got to do your time. 8)

Hey GMTBandit

You were on the right track mate, I'm assuming you kept driving until you came top a bend and hit a left to a dirt road? if you stay right and continue down towards drakes road you will cross three reefs. ON the left side of the road there are lots of deep pits however to the right there is alot more bedrock and shallow ground there is lots of small gold around here and its probably a good place to cut your teeth on with a GMT. THis area has heaps of shallow workings you will not find on any maps. good luck

*The real Gold is the Journey and the friends we make
Engineering Gold Sluices and Highbankers

Goldpick
30 December 2013 10:53 am

Have patience on the GMT, a lot of new owners dismissed it too quickly when they hadn't found a thing with it other than bullets etc. Takes a bit of time to master regarding using the SAT function and the right sensitivy settings for the ground worked on.  Best thing to do is to carry a small nugget so you can tune it for the ground mineralisation in that area.  One owner on here got frustrated with it and went out and bought GPX5000, but has since found gold with the GMT, so don't give up. smile

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, XP MI-6, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

30 December 2013 11:50 am

Anyone keen for a swing on Wednesday new years day?Only going to be around 30 We can have a GMT users Christmas party....

Zuke_Lynzy
30 December 2013 04:06 pm

Hey everyone iv been out in the heat of tibooburra the last few days we have come up here for New Years' so far iv got 9 tiny gold nuggets with the GMT for about 4-5 hrs work on old tailing piles you couldn't buy a better machine for small gold!
My avatar photo is from our last trip 17 over 8hrs

30 December 2013 04:19 pm

Good to hear the trips been a success mate... Hot up there?

Zuke_Lynzy
30 December 2013 09:15 pm

Yep! tomorrow 39°. Each morning iv been getting up early and back around 12 for lunch.

31 December 2013 11:27 am

Good work, can't wait to see some photos. Just in time for the pub to open to...

GMT Bandit
01 January 2014 01:03 pm

Thanks for the tip!!!!  I found a spot that had recently been burnt out and I thought it might hold some virgin ground.  But with all the trash it was just too frustrating.  Some poor buggar had dug up this massive "T" shaped piece of iron and left it under a tree.  My heart went out to him.  I've never realised what a massive effect humans have had on the environment.

GMT Bandit
01 January 2014 01:12 pm

G0lddigg@ wrote:
GMT Bandit wrote:

Hey GMTBandit

You were on the right track mate, I'm assuming you kept driving until you came top a bend and hit a left to a dirt road? if you stay right and continue down towards drakes road you will cross three reefs. ON the left side of the road there are lots of deep pits however to the right there is alot more bedrock and shallow ground there is lots of small gold around here and its probably a good place to cut your teeth on with a GMT. THis area has heaps of shallow workings you will not find on any maps. good luck

G0lddigg@ I can't tell you how much I appreciate the tip.  I feel the GMT is an awesome machine...I just need to get it over the top of gold.  Then I can prove to the ball and chain that I'm not crazy. I feel like going down the gold shop and buying a small nugget and tell her that I found it to prove there's gold still out there. Lol. To be totally honest I'd just love to find some old relics or coins.  So thank you the tip!!!!!!!!  I'll let you know how I go.

Last edited by GMT Bandit (01 January 2014 01:15 pm)

Zuke_Lynzy
08 January 2014 10:41 pm

Well home from tibooburra' such a great holiday even in the summer! Total find was 9 tiny gold nuggets  for about 10hrs work hard to gasp if you saw how tiny they are.
Anyway the GMT has once proven its self again!  I'll post a pic up in a few days.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site