You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Zakman
30 September 2013 01:42 pm

Hi a technical question .

I've just bought a GMT and will be using it in the Kyneton Victoria area which isi high in mineralization. So the setting post on this forum is just what i need to start off. Thanks .

I have done a lot of research like everyone does and watched the whites training video's over and over. So with the preset position for the VSAT at around 3 - 4 and its meant to assist in the recovery of the threshold the HUMmmmm but these post highlight the fact the we should set the VSAT to 10+ that seem strange as the recovery seems to sound just fine at a lower setting.
So of course I will use it at 10 + but just wondering how and why this is happening.

New boy on the Block

ZAK

Last edited by Zakman (30 September 2013 01:43 pm)

Hi Zak here. Love the outdoors and living life on the edge. White GMT, Tekhnics T2, GPX 5000 Plus the CTX 3030

1 user likes this post: gedanate

Zuke_Lynzy
01 October 2013 11:23 pm

I'm not sure what's working for everyone else but I turn the SAT speed to 10,gain highest possible around 7-8 and then start backing the SAT speed back before it overloads . Then ground balance , set the theshold. Once you have started detecting you may have to speed up the SAT speed a little . I always hunt in AUTO TRAC and without boost on.
If you can't ground balance start backing off the gain but not below 5
  Iv got  heaps of 0.02  flakes running these settings  my test piece is 0.02 and air tests 1.5"
With 4x6 shooter coil
  Just remember some ground isn't ment for VLF detectors but sometimes you only have to work tailings piles or move 20m away and the ground can be alright.
I also check unfilled detector holes and scan as I fill them in and find little surprises !

1 user likes this post: ProspectorPete

Zakman
02 October 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks Mooroopna
Yes got out the last two days these settings
Are working well.'lots of nails and bots
Plus a heart melting peace of lead that looked so much
like a nugget my heart missed a best a 2 oz beauty:(

I've now clearly learnt what lead looks like it's  just the same as
Gold.

The GMT really is easy to use and so much fun.

Can't wait till I hit the gold:)

Chat soon.
Zak

Hi Zak here. Love the outdoors and living life on the edge. White GMT, Tekhnics T2, GPX 5000 Plus the CTX 3030

Zuke_Lynzy
22 October 2013 11:06 pm

So GMT users find anything?

GMT Bandit
28 October 2013 11:04 pm

I've been out with my GMT about 5 or 6 times now.  I've found everything but Gold.  After reading this forum I tweaked my setting so I'm really confident if I'm over gold I'll get.   Thanks for the tips guys!!!!

SDC2300, Whites SPP, Whites GMT and Garrett pin pointer.

Roscoe
31 October 2013 03:00 pm

I have only had my GMT for a couple of weeks. Have down some extensive testing of small lead targets under ground in gold bearing grounds with the GMT. I have found by these test targets that if i can run with a gain of 5 or above with the v-sat set at six then i found this better as the machine makes a nice zip zip signal on the test pieces. Also with the v-sat set at 6 and below it gives a better feel for the ground i run in. You can recognise negative hot rocks and ground mineral patches better because negative hot rocks will make a boo boo sound and concentrated mineral patches will be a broad weak drop out in threshold. However if i get to many drop outs in threshold then i have no alternative to raise the v-sat to 7 this will remove all the drop outs but maintain some feel for the ground i am running in. Also if you get a good repeatable signal in v-sat 7 then you can turn the v-sat quickly to  6 and this will give you a better feel for the target. There has been many a time now that a positive hot rock sounds good in a high v-sat setting only to be rejected by turning the v-sat back to 6. Will be heading out to some fair dinkum gold areas soon will see how she runs then.

I forgot to mention that the ground i mainly run in is not so high mineralised but more highly variable...Roscoe

Last edited by Roscoe (31 October 2013 03:02 pm)

Zuke_Lynzy
31 October 2013 07:30 pm

Keep them coming guys good stuff'
What might be something to think about also other than the best settings
Is raking! I rake everything and always have I put myself in the habit when I first started gold detecting because it's the most important. Small rocks you have to lift the coil a inch to clear them but the coil is an inch off the ground for 2 ft whilst you swing to miss one rock'
So if there is one rock every swing your off the ground an inch all the time!  The GMT's
Advantage over the best detectors out there is on tiny gold that others miss but the GMT will miss it too if you don't get it nearly on the surface cos all the small stuff I find have been 1 or 2 inch deep in old surfacing areas or known gold nugget areas. Lift that coil a inch on most tiny shot pellets and there gone.
Don't forget to cover over the area aflterwards to put it back how it was found.

Roscoe
31 October 2013 07:39 pm

That definitely sounds like a good idea with the a rake. What about a good leaf blower to blow the small rocks, leaves, twigs etc.? I find that with the v-sat on 6 and below that the coil makes less noise when you hit a rock or stick etc, In the higher v-sat settings i can not ride the coil on the ground because of this..roscoe

Zuke_Lynzy
31 October 2013 08:04 pm

Yes iv used a leaf blower but it makes a bit of a dusty mess and our miners right states no mechanical tools only hand tools so I just use a rake cannot get in trouble that way.
The GMT coils are very hot coils sound off on most things' sticks,twigs,rocks and hard clumps of clay turning settings down makes the most difference but will loose sensitivity to the 0.02-0.05 gram bits, raking and being careful not to hit anything works best
You can also run in manual and ajust your gound setting to minimize false noises
But will loose an edge on sesitivity aswell plus become oversensitive to mineralisation.
Raking the ground rock free also seems to stop a lot of false signals caused by hot rocks

Roscoe
31 October 2013 08:54 pm

I will be definitely packing a rake with me next time. If i find an area with some small bits then i will definitely use the rake. yes i agree most of the surface rocks cause most of the noises so raking an area makes even more sense. Going on sunday for a look around at some old workings, will throw the rake this time. thanks roscoe

04 November 2013 08:24 am

Hey guys,

I am still having trouble and not sure I am doing this detecting thing right, I am pretty keen to learn from someone who has a GMT and if someone would be keen to take me out and show me the ropes I would be greatful. I just can't seem to tell what I am looking for, I find myself digging holes and find the signal goes away does anyone else get this? I check the piles and nothing fill the hole and move on. Needless to say I am getting a little frustrated and find myself more and more just going to the dark side and simply go panning or highbanking. I am keen to learn and even have a detecting partner that runs a GMT.

I have watched the videos and everything. The only way this machine seems to work for me is with the black sand meter on it to find places for highbanking. I am having issues with identifying the correct targets to dig.

2014 will be the year of gold...... 2013 sure wasn't... I am using in my hunt for Gold a GMT GOldmaster standard equipment, panning equipment, Creek sluce. And a whole bunch of gut feeling... Added a brand new whites tdi with 4 additional coils.

G0lddigg@
04 November 2013 11:30 am

Newbie wrote:

Hey guys,

I am still having trouble and not sure I am doing this detecting thing right, I am pretty keen to learn from someone who has a GMT and if someone would be keen to take me out and show me the ropes I would be greatful. I just can't seem to tell what I am looking for, I find myself digging holes and find the signal goes away does anyone else get this? I check the piles and nothing fill the hole and move on. Needless to say I am getting a little frustrated and find myself more and more just going to the dark side and simply go panning or highbanking. I am keen to learn and even have a detecting partner that runs a GMT.

I have watched the videos and everything. The only way this machine seems to work for me is with the black sand meter on it to find places for highbanking. I am having issues with identifying the correct targets to dig.

hey Newbie i run a GMT mate, they can be a bit stressful at times as they are so sensitive however you need to persevere time is he only thing that will teach you. Go to an area that has lots of lead bullets etc and spend a day digging trash its the best way to learn. I personally take with me a piece of lead and a very small piece of gold maybe .03 picker. when you setup in an area find a piece of ground with minimal sound and throw your lead down. now tune your detector to the response, everyone is different you can make it a long wining response or a short sharp one which i prefer. Gold sounds very similar to lead so its your best friend in the field.

Sometimes you are digging ground noise when you hit orange/yellow chalky clay and you can often test this by simply busting the ground up and waving again the signal should increase not decrease if it does decrease its likely ground noise. however sometimes you will have a flake of gold so small it sounds off in the ground but makes very little variation when waved over the coil after digging.

Try placing your GMT on the ground with ground balance flicked to manual and audio signal boost on, now wave your hand over the coil and find the height that does not give a  response, then do the same with your plastic cup/scoop once you know this height you should be able to determine when and if there was a signal in your hole.

I have one final trick but its a personal preference for me and might not work for you, I went down to dick smiths and got a $5 dicks brand set of low impedance headphones, I then removed the earth contact for the headphone jack which pulls the signal back to mono. I find this much less chaty and very easy to focus in on small signals.  hope this helps
1383524738_20131104_112107.jpg

sorry just realized how crappy that picture was, this is the earth connection on your GMT it screws out quite easily
1383526111_20131104_114619.jpg

Last edited by G0lddigg@ (04 November 2013 11:48 am)

*The real Gold is the Journey and the friends we make
Engineering Gold Sluices and Highbankers

loamer
04 November 2013 11:34 am

Newbie - I dont run a GMT but it sounds like you are digging ground noise. This is an age old problem - signal sounds OK and then when you dig down it either moves, is gone or is till there but the same sound and sound level. These are pockets of mineralised soils, hot rocks, and the like. When you hear a suspect noise, and ground noise can be a broad one-way signal, cross it at angles (pin-pointing) to see if the sound brightens up or is the same. Dig a round (no sharp edges) hole a little bigger than the coil and re-check but dont put the coil in the hole. If it has moved, generally to one side, or gone its probably ground noise. Do you have lead practice targets? Try these to get the sound you should be looking for.  Bigger gold that is deep can give the same very faint signals so if you are just starting, its worth while digging these just to be sure. Make sure when you sweep the coil is at a constant level - a problem can be a thing called coil lift where the coil is raising at the end of a sweep - this can also give a false signal at times. My advice is to have a close look at what you have dug out - this way you will learn what is causing the problem. Most of the time you can see hot rocks on the surface and eventually you will discount these as well - they all look the same - nasty reddish flattish rocks that can give a very nice faint signal. Pick them up and break them up and re-detect each piece. You will find the offender very quickly or you may have even pinged a little specie as some hotrocks are ironstone and they can have gold in or on them. 

Hopefully a GMT user will give you some more detail.

Zuke_Lynzy
04 November 2013 03:20 pm

Hey Newbie where bouts do you live?
If your not too far away ill take you out and show you the goods
You can try some different coils  too .
I'm in mooroopna  near shepparton vic

Roscoe
04 November 2013 05:43 pm

Newbie, would you be able to let me know what settings you were running on the day?

Last edited by Roscoe (04 November 2013 05:43 pm)

Zakman
04 November 2013 08:39 pm

Hey Zuke what your base setting for the GMT .
I'm using Ground balance fast.
Audio Off
Iron I.D> Center
S.A.T 6
Gain 6 - 7.5
Threshold very low
Zakman

Zuke_Lynzy
04 November 2013 09:49 pm

Yeah mate your setting would be very close to what I start with I nearly always use fast it works well and iv found 0.02 nuggets that it didn't tune out.
If you rake the ground over first you might  get away with more gain
I use the threshold as a volume  I just turn it up it doesn't worry me  but when I turn the detector off for lunch I can still hear it.
The wife thinks I'm mad listening to all the crackle and pops  from hot rock and such but there's only one noise that grabs my attention!   Practice with a lead shot pellet.

Zakman
05 November 2013 09:27 am

Thanks Zuke.

Yes i have test samples set up one is a lead shot.
Good Hunting.

Zakman

Roscoe
05 November 2013 02:31 pm

Zuke, would you explain please in a bit more detail about you using the threshold as a volume control, that sounds interesting. thanks roscoe

Zuke_Lynzy
05 November 2013 09:08 pm

Roscoe mate I just treat the threshold as volume that easy' it needs to hum let it hum I just let it hum loud with the built in speaker  (unless it's windy I use head phones)
Iv got very good with it the last few years and it talks to me. I run loud threshold and feel that I'm hearing every thing that's in the ground, I don't  loose "tiny" gold  running a loud threshold  like most ppl say you will . I never use boost and  hardly ever run manual it takes too much  concentration to keep calm   Just remember ! There's 3 things that the GMT listens to is' 1# ground noise , 2# hot rocks and  3#targets . keep things simple  and it doesn't get Complicated.

Roscoe
05 November 2013 09:22 pm

Thanks for that Zuke. I hate head phones myself. Hey, sounds good the KISS principle mate. Will sure give that a go, thanks.

Zuke_Lynzy
05 November 2013 09:45 pm

Iv built small amplified speaker systems that plug into the head phone jack using uhf handheld mic's so I could clip them high up on my collar if it's windy.
A lot of ppl iv seen use the jB high Fi ext speaker for iphones
About $25 worth and charge with USB you can screw the clip of the back of a tape measure
And mount It the same.

Roscoe
05 November 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks Zuke, My daughter has a ipod booster speaker, I will give that one a try out. I will have a sticky beak at the JB HI FI one as well, thanks for time mate...roscoe

mbasko
06 November 2013 09:17 am

I used Nokia MD-11 speakers when I had a GMT which I found had better audio than the stock internal speaker. The MD-11's have a built in amplifier & run on 3 x AAA batteries. Cost about $10 each. You can hook them up together to get a dual speaker set up or as many as you like. Each one has a socket to plug another one into. Downside is they don't have a volume control but I thought they worked well.

1383689584_gmt_speakers.jpg
Photo of my set up before selling  cry Still see spots where it would be nice to have it. You could easily set them up to attach onto yourself if required.
Edit: I have these attached to the arm cuff screw on either side. They fitted there nice & neatly + weigh nothing that would worry your days swinging  smile You also need a 6mm plug to 3.5mm socket adapter - about $2 or $3

Last edited by mbasko (06 November 2013 09:56 am)

Roscoe
06 November 2013 09:32 am

Now that is a nifty little setup Mbasko, I seen on ebay a set of two for 25 dollars. I really like the idea how they plug into each other and with your picture they mate in real neat, thanks for showing us that...roscoe

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site