You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

04 February 2013 10:16 pm

I am looking for others that maybe using the goldmaster.. Any one got tips or hints how you get the best out of the machine.

2014 will be the year of gold...... 2013 sure wasn't... I am using in my hunt for Gold a GMT GOldmaster standard equipment, panning equipment, Creek sluce. And a whole bunch of gut feeling... Added a brand new whites tdi with 4 additional coils.

Lady Fossick
13 February 2013 08:35 pm

I am using this at the moment, finding it's great detecting junk, yet to find good with it, and seriously thinking about upgrading to the GPX 5000.
But am finding the GMT nice and light, easy to use, but very sensitive, goes off with the mineralised soil something shocking at times.

15 February 2013 02:48 pm

I have the same problems. Doesn't handle change of soil well. I hazard a guess we are having this conversation on Facebook at the moment. Manual setting could be the way to go. The Vlf could be the issue. I spend some time over winter and have a fiddle with it going to give it to my brother and hire a GPX5000 get a signal then see if he can pick it up.

2014 will be the year of gold...... 2013 sure wasn't... I am using in my hunt for Gold a GMT GOldmaster standard equipment, panning equipment, Creek sluce. And a whole bunch of gut feeling... Added a brand new whites tdi with 4 additional coils.

hereskip
24 February 2013 10:46 am

Newbie I use the MXT pro which is close to the GMT but it is a lower freq, one useful tip is to use the trace the black sand mineralisation in a creek or inside bend and peg out the highest numbers you will end up with a line that shows where the heavies are then you can set up a highbanker and dig, have had good success doing this at the ford and at tuena. I have also found that the hypersat settings are far to much for our mineralised ground and normally around 7 to 8 on the gain, in +1 or higher the detector is very chatty.
Cheers
Skip

kemjak57
25 February 2013 10:07 pm

I have a GMT that I use just for very small gold. I love it, it will see the smallest pieces but only to about 2 inches. I am sure if I wave it over a bigger piece down deeper it will see it. Cheers Rick

Get a life! Start prospecting........

jenmal
09 May 2013 02:21 pm

Have only recently bought a whites GMT still learning!

Suffering from Gold Fever! Love getting out camping, exploring our great country and prospecting whilst at it. Panning, river sluice, highbanker and new to Whites GMT detector.

backcreek
09 May 2013 11:08 pm

Hi Fellow GMT users,
I have read lots of information on the GMT and how to set it up but as the saying goes a picture says a thousand words. In this case a video says a million words.
Check this clip out. Bear in mind that our ground is different to US soil.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxT4ZbT3WIk

Cheers
Mick

"To be a prospector is to be in some degree Possessed"

1 user likes this post: ProspectorPete

jenmal
10 May 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks Mick,

Well worth the watch!! smile

Suffering from Gold Fever! Love getting out camping, exploring our great country and prospecting whilst at it. Panning, river sluice, highbanker and new to Whites GMT detector.

Stinky Pete
Detech Australia
Detech Australia
11 May 2013 10:07 am

Hi I've used the GMT with some frustration handling mineralized soil.
If you are able to find the right areas with heaps of quartz reef. I have found it dynamite picking up gold that the GPX 5000 could not see, some lovely specimens.

Regards Stinky

jenmal
11 May 2013 11:38 am

Thats good news Stinky Pete!

Lbg dreamer
14 May 2013 08:19 pm

I find plenty of gold with the gmt
In very highly mineralised ground
Try running your vast nearly at 10
Your gain should be around 7 ish
There are 2 thresh tone changes in this area get to the second one then back off a fraction
I run it on the same ground I run my 45 on
They sniff out small gold like a bloodhound
wink
Its the same as any other machine you have to spend the time to get to know it
And what it's telling you
If you have any questions just ask and I'll see if I can help
2 mates  got a bit within their first 4 hrs swinging
I got a bit on my first day with it
They are really sensitive On the small stuff
And the iron I'd is great as you get to choose what you discriminate

Gold is we're it is , not were it was ,or where it wasn't !

5 users like this post: jenmal, Newbie, WalnLiz, ProspectorPete, Ridge Runner

kemjak57
14 May 2013 08:47 pm

I agree that the GMT is a great machine for small gold and I'm sure it will see larger pieces at some depth. It gives a good solid signal on coins as well. I have found 18 pieces of gold that combined only weigh 1.6 grams. Two of them came out of a GPX5000 hole. Cheers.

jenmal
14 May 2013 09:42 pm

Lbg dreamer wrote:

There are 2 thresh tone changes in this area get to the second one then back off a fraction
I run it on the same ground I run my 45 on
They sniff out small gold like a bloodhound
wink
Its the same as any other machine you have to spend the time to get to know it
And what it's telling you
If you have any questions just ask and I'll see if I can help
2 mates  got a bit within their first 4 hrs swinging
I got a bit on my first day with it
They are really sensitive On the small stuff
And the iron I'd is great as you get to choose what you discriminate

Thanks for the tips, will try these settings, only new to ours still working out the settings. Great news on the small gold.

Will test over the next few weeks and give you an update!  smile

Lbg dreamer
15 May 2013 11:44 am

Good luck and remember
You need to research your area you are going to try
And dig and walk
Its no easy task finding gold
And if you can get your coil on it
It's your best chance of finding it

1 user likes this post: jenmal

mbasko
31 May 2013 12:41 am

Lbg dreamer wrote:

I use my GMT in high mineralised ground that can change quickly - with a metre or so. I can vouch for those settings. I use similar & have found gold down to 0.06 gram.

I recently got the 6x4 nugget shooter coil but found it a bit too sensitive first time out. Need to fiddle some more I think. Anyone had success with this coil? Read some good wraps on it.

backcreek
31 May 2013 10:29 am

Hi All,
I found this on youtube, it's a good demonstration of the small gold a GMT will find.
Listen to what the guy with the minelab says at the end off the clip.

Cheers

Mick

"To be a prospector is to be in some degree Possessed"

3 users like this post: Diggerdude, kemjak57, mbasko

downhalo
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
01 June 2013 03:39 am

Been running with my GMT for about 6 months now, have some awesome success bedrock shooting, pulled a little over 15 grams in the last 3 months..

Tips: Push the gain until it can't handle the ground, keep the VSAT low for depth, high for better sensitivity to smaller gold (keep in mind doing so will reduce depth)
FORGET Auto tracking... It WILL balance out small gold signals...  User manual, hit gram, then manually give the machine a hot signal on the down stroke for extra sensitivity and depth.

Boost is a pain in the noisy ass, unless you have the gold in the scoop, leave it off... You will miss targets in harsh ground because of the added noise.

The 6x4 coil is a beast, but the stock 10" can damn near do it all.. 14" GoldMax is a heavy pain in the butt, and not worth the money or shoulder ache..

This machine isn't a depth demon at 48kHz, small shallow gold is its bread and butter, It will go deep on larger nuggets.. Just not that deep smile
I got a .61g nugget last weekend at just over 4 inches and it was just a slight threshold change... Don't expect a loud ZIP.. It's rare..

Hope some of this helps..

Prospector for just over 15 years..

2 users like this post: kemjak57, ProspectorPete

kemjak57
01 June 2013 11:03 am

Good info Dh I am very happy with mine as well. I think for the price they are an excellent machine. I was lucky enough to get mine for $660. Chuffed smile

Greglz86
27 July 2013 06:46 pm

Just had my first swing of the GMT. Loved it. Although I had no luck in finding gold it didn't take me long to start recognizing what sounds were what. I did find it struggle with mineralized soil but among the interference I found small bits of lead. Next time I'm out I'm going to try some of the above suggested settings and see if I missed a small peace of gold or two. However, when it come down to pressing the trigger when I found a target it didn't grunt as often as a thought it would. In the end I read the % meter and if it was 75 or over I left it as many targets that were around that turned out to be iron.

Greg

Lbg dreamer
27 July 2013 06:49 pm

Gold normaly starts off low and gets lower
As you get closer
Good luck out there
And don't forget to enjoy yourself
As finding gold isn't easy  smile

Greglz86
27 July 2013 07:09 pm

Thanks. If I get to go out most weekends I'm sure I will master it soon. Next weekend I'm going to have an attempt of following the traces of black sand and panning the contents. In the follow the black sand meter, what number should I be looking for? The higher the better right. Are there any tricks anyone might know that can help me out?

mbasko
27 July 2013 08:05 pm

One trick I did see for following the black sands is to use the small wire flags (like on "Diggers" etc. that they use to show their find patterns). Where you get your higher reading's on sweeps - stick a flag in. When you've walked/detected a section you can look at where your high readings were & the "path" they follow.

This can help when choosing spots to have a dig/sample but remember that while gold does commonly occur with black sand it isn't always there. The GMT "follow black sand" meter will give you another good indicator which may lead to finding gold but reading the river/creek is probably more important so you detect in the right areas i.e. inside corners, downstream side of rocks etc. were the water can slow & drop gold out into traps. A lot of good wet prospectors can read where this path of heavies will be without a detector but I find it a good tool to use & learn this with.

Around my area high 40's/low 50's is usually a high reading but in some areas I have seen it go up to 60.

The best thing to do with the GMT around creeks etc. is to detect around/in the crevices with the small coil. If you detect a little nugget in the crevices then that would be the spot to clean out & pan the contents down.

2 users like this post: G0lddigg@, ProspectorPete

Greglz86
28 July 2013 10:03 am

Thanks guys. This is a big help. Can't wait to get back out.

Greg

Zuke_Lynzy
19 September 2013 08:39 pm

Me and my wife have a GMZ,GMT,New SGT and SD2200
The GMT is the Bomb guys last trip 17 little nuggets 
A GPX5000 wouldn't get a peep on half of them
The smallest was .02. I have the 4x6
shooter on most the time but the 10x5 is deadly!
Don't give up on the GMT my first took me a whole year
To find and now I learn something new every weekend
  Happy digging

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site