12V Appliances

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ded Driver

WA is my backyard
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was considering a 12V kettle for my coffee kit, & in doing some research I found this Waeco 12V_180W x750ml kettle< & I thought wow, beauty, that'll do the trick.
I fully expected around 15-20A power draw, but what blew it out of the water (pun intended :playful: ) was the half hour needed to boil just 750ml. Thats just not practical, & it amounts to 7.5AHr out of the battery. I will be sticking with my mini (Coleman Pro-Nano) butane burner & pot set (600ml & 1200ml)
1629511778_waeco_12v_180w_0.75l_kettle_markup.jpg

IBack in 1996 I bought a little travel kettle that boils about 500ml and it takes a good 20 minutes to boil, looks like things haven't moved on much,

The Amps these 12v jugs consume you are better of buying a 600/750w 240v just and using an inverter 700w / 60 = 11.66w X that by 4 minutes is a total power draw of 46.66w.

thing is you would only be running a 240v jug for 4 or 5 minutes so the power draw is not going to be that great. :Y:

my Coleman butane (Jetboil equivalent) can boil 600ml of water in 4 minutes & doesnt use a big amount of gas.
I will be sticking to gas at least for now.
:idea: idea. Maybe I could get a 2L S/S tank & fix to my roofrack for hot water in the summer. Prob only need 1 minute on the gas :coffee:

If only the two of us always use a Kelly Kettle, no gas or power required.
Boils in 3 minutes.

Redfin said:
If only the two of us always use a Kelly Kettle, no gas or power required.
Boils in 3 minutes.
yes they're good, but when Im on a few hrs or full day drive, I like the convenience of being able to pull into a roadside rest bay & whack up a good cup of coffee while I take a short break.
'Driver Reviver' ..... unless ya already DED :playful:

My answer for a few hours drive or a day trip is a Thermos of hot water, the makings in sealed containers and the milk in the Engel. :)

But, I'm not what you would term a coffee connoisseur, so it's easy with instant, lol.

As an aside a few years back I bought a 12V hair dryer for my wife. Conclusion - I made a donation to the 12V shop and the item was worth about as much as the little favour in a Xmas Cracker.

When it comes to heating elements i.e. kettle, hair dryer, it's simple math that at 12V the wattage to heat is very limited and very much extended in time.
A typical 240VAC kettle runs at 10 amps = 2400W. The time taken depends how cold the water is at start and how much there is of it.

The only item I do use is the Travel Buddy oven. Yes it will heat a frozen Pie in around an hour, at a cost of 6AH. If you want lunch, it needs some forward planning to put the food in the oven an hour before actually wanted. In comparison, my wife aint gonna dry her hair for an hour or more and I would guess most won't wait that long for a coffee, lol.

I bought one of these for my caravan

https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sa...6s9l-mmb4UjNT00Cv6SDzGX197eGeHZxoCIWkQAvD_BwE

They draw approx 1,000 watts. I originally had a household kettle when on grid power, but it's useless on the Honda 2kVA as it overloads the genny. The little Companion works on the genny.

From an inverter, the simple math is 1,000 watts @ 12 VDC = 100 amps. When I use it for 2 cups worth of water it takes 4-5 minutes to boil = 6 to 9 AH of battery using an inverter. As it's at the limit of a 1kVA inverter, I would use a 1500 watt if I used it from inverter power.

The other consideration is; everyone is different, but, my usual daily coffee consumption is, 1 cup at, brekky, smoko, lunch, evening. I think most have 4-5 cups a day which means the total power use from an inverter = 30-35 AH of battery a day (averaging the power use of the Companion).

Ideally if using an inverter to run a kettle in a 4x4 do it with the engine on and there's no net power use. In a caravan, with other item use, I would recommend 200 AH of battery to run an inverter, along with enough solar to replenish usage.

However, I only use the kettle, if the genny is on or I'm in a van park. The rest of the time I use a stove top gas kettle from LPG. Options. :)

condor22 said:
I bought one of these for my caravan

https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sa...6s9l-mmb4UjNT00Cv6SDzGX197eGeHZxoCIWkQAvD_BwE

They draw approx 1,000 watts. I originally had a household kettle when on grid power, but it's useless on the Honda 2kVA as it overloads the genny. The little Companion works on the genny.

From an inverter, the simple math is 1,000 watts @ 12 VDC = 100 amps. When I use it for 2 cups worth of water it takes 4-5 minutes to boil = 6 to 9 AH of battery using an inverter. As it's at the limit of a 1kVA inverter, I would use a 1500 watt if I used it from inverter power.

The other consideration is; everyone is different, but, my usual daily coffee consumption is, 1 cup at, brekky, smoko, lunch, evening. I think most have 4-5 cups a day which means the total power use from an inverter = 30-35 AH of battery a day (averaging the power use of the Companion).

Ideally if using an inverter to run a kettle in a 4x4 do it with the engine on and there's no net power use. In a caravan, with other item use, I would recommend 200 AH of battery to run an inverter, along with enough solar to replenish usage.

However, I only use the kettle, if the genny is on or I'm in a van park. The rest of the time I use a stove top gas kettle from LPG. Options. :)

Just 1 coffee a day for me at breakfast, and tea for the rest of the day, but still needs the hot water. If I will be pushed for time such as on a long trip, I also use a thermos, but a big air-pot one that stays hot "forever". eg. still warm next morning. It is 40+ years old and still going strong.

Ded Driver said:
I was considering a 12V kettle for my coffee kit, & in doing some research I found this Waeco 12V_180W x750ml kettle< & I thought wow, beauty, that'll do the trick.
I fully expected around 15-20A power draw, but what blew it out of the water (pun intended :playful: ) was the half hour needed to boil just 750ml. Thats just not practical, & it amounts to 7.5AHr out of the battery. I will be sticking with my mini (Coleman Pro-Nano) butane burner & pot set (600ml & 1200ml)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...511778_waeco_12v_180w_0.75l_kettle_markup.jpg

Ok well I tested my 12v Jug I bought back in 1996, Running it direct from 2 X 115Ah Batteries.

Full Up

Ah Running 11.12 / 11.13
Wh Running 134.4
Ap 11.43
Wp 143.4
Ah Used 6.847
Wh Used 83.1.

One Mug of Water @ 320ml

It took 20 minutes to get to 95*c which is hot enough.
It took 24 minutes to hit 100*c / Boiling Point.
And it used 4.695 Ah,
And it used 56.982 Wh,

And that took around 35 minutes to reach exactly 100*c / Boiling Point from filling the jug straight from the Cold Tap.

They are Ok to get you out of a tight spot as a last resort if you've got nothing else but thats about it really,

Hope that helps.

J.

condor22 said:
My answer for a few hours drive or a day trip is a Thermos of hot water, the makings in sealed containers and the milk in the Engel. :)

But, I'm not what you would term a coffee connoisseur, so it's easy with instant, lol.

As an aside a few years back I bought a 12V hair dryer for my wife. Conclusion - I made a donation to the 12V shop and the item was worth about as much as the little favour in a Xmas Cracker.

When it comes to heating elements i.e. kettle, hair dryer, it's simple math that at 12V the wattage to heat is very limited and very much extended in time.
A typical 240VAC kettle runs at 10 amps = 2400W. The time taken depends how cold the water is at start and how much there is of it.

The only item I do use is the Travel Buddy oven. Yes it will heat a frozen Pie in around an hour, at a cost of 6AH. If you want lunch, it needs some forward planning to put the food in the oven an hour before actually wanted. In comparison, my wife aint gonna dry her hair for an hour or more and I would guess most won't wait that long for a coffee, lol.

I always fill a Flask with boiling water, My 2L flask develloped a leak when I cleaned it last so now I am stuck with a couple of 1.3 Stanley Flasks, That Master series is the best for long trips because it stays way hotter than any other on the market. :perfect:

Mine is the grey mottled enamel finish (outer) and stainless inner Thermos. Pour in boiling water and it stays hot all day. Sometimes if I pack n stack the night before I'm to do a break camp, I boil up for the thermos the night before to make the brekky coffee. It's still hot around lunchtime, if not all used.

I got lazy doing even that lately, if I want a coffee enroute, I stop, open up the van, put the kettle on the stove and have a break. Something different to look at than that bloody white line.

condor22 said:
Mine is the grey mottled enamel finish (outer) and stainless inner Thermos. Pour in boiling water and it stays hot all day. Sometimes if I pack n stack the night before I'm to do a break camp, I boil up for the thermos the night before to make the brekky coffee. It's still hot around lunchtime, if not all used.

I got lazy doing even that lately, if I want a coffee enroute, I stop, open up the van, put the kettle on the stove and have a break. Something different to look at than that bloody white line.

Have you got one of the wide necked Food Flasks ??

They are Great for putting Stews,Curry's and Soups etc In.

Nightjar said:
These are ideal for a quick brew in the morning before getting the campfire stoked up.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B097JV...&linkCode=osi&psc=1&tag=roundforestau-22&th=1

Yeah they are great, you just have to remember to make sure the Pan or BBQ Hot plate you use on there does not cover the top of the Gas compartment or the gas cartridge will go bang, When I use the 18 X 12 BBQ Plate I turn it 90* so it fits front to back that way it misses the Gas tank area completely,

I bought one of mine in 2006 and I still use it everyday, :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
condor22 said:

Got one somewhere in a cupboard, good for food like chunky soup, not so good as a narrow neck on liquid re time staying hot.

condor22 said:
Ridge Runner said:
condor22 said:

Got one somewhere in a cupboard, good for food like chunky soup, not so good as a narrow neck on liquid re time staying hot.

Yeah I found that too, That Black Stanley Master series version will keep it boiling over 24 hours, I have their 1.3L Drinks flask and their 750ml Food Flask these are the only ones that will exceed 24 hours and they will scald you even after 2 days, They are the Engel of the flask world Ay, Nothing will match them not even close, :perfect:

Latest posts