Panning techniques and a few other questions?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in WA and keen to have a crack at panning and hear any advice from the experts.

Which pan and equipment would you recommend? Slow water, down stream, up stream? Also (and I apologise in advance if it sounds stupid), but how do you identify the smaller grains of gold? Do you dig deep, or aim for the first couple of centimetres of creekbed? Any other reflections? I keep hearing different advice, so any insights you can share, would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Phil

To much to answer mate, all that info is on this forum , the forum has a search function you could search panning techniques or just watch utube,
Plenty will help you here , I would but its bed time.
My favourite is a garret panning kit and when I got mine it had a DVD and book with it that explained alot.

Thanks mate. Yeh, a lot of questions, sorry. I did try the search function, but it came up with a heap of different results. I will look at the garret kit. Cheers

Phil
Where would I start as it sounds you are at the very beginning of learning to find gold.
Firstly you need to understand how gold was created and then how it was released from the earth.
Secondly you would need to learn about it's weight and properties and how that effects the way nature and even man has helped transport it far and wide from it's created location.
Hopefully my post doesn't come across as being condescending as it's not my intention, I'm just trying to point out how these points I've mentioned are the key to finding gold . As they say "Gold is where you find it" ,.
A crude short cut without reading or watching things is to go somewhere known to have gold and give it a go until it starts making sense.
Also watch some gold panning videos and then grab a pan and mixed sand /soil with varied pieces of lead added in and practice until you can recover it all. :cool:

PS.. I'd start with a smaller modern pan which has built in trap/riffles ,then are lots of different types available these days. Don't bother with any old metal ones.

I'm not into being a YouTuber but I think it's almost time for me to share a panning technique that creates material layering according to their specific gravity.
It not only puts gold at the very bottom corner but stacks everything else above it exactly where it's spose to be by using a minimal disturbance to action technique..

20xwater said:
I'm not into being a YouTuber but I think it's almost time for me to share a panning technique that creates material layering according to their specific gravity.
It not only puts gold at the very bottom corner but stacks everything else above it exactly where it's spose to be by using a minimal disturbance to action technique..

Sounds interesting, mate. Would like to hear more if you're happy to share?

GaryO said:
Phil
Where would I start as it sounds you are at the very beginning of learning to find gold.
Firstly you need to understand how gold was created and then how it was released from the earth.
Secondly you would need to learn about it's weight and properties and how that effects the way nature and even man has helped transport it far and wide from it's created location.
Hopefully my post doesn't come across as being condescending as it's not my intention, I'm just trying to point out how these points I've mentioned are the key to finding gold . As they say "Gold is where you find it" ,.
A crude short cut without reading or watching things is to go somewhere known to have gold and give it a go until it starts making sense.
Also watch some gold panning videos and then grab a pan and mixed sand /soil with varied pieces of lead added in and practice until you can recover it all. :cool:

Cheers Gary! No offence taken. I have been reading up on a lot on one of Loamers original post "What To Look For On The Goldfields (New To Prospecting)" and this has helped. I actually found some interesting quartz in a riverbed today with pyrite in it, which I believe is a good sign for the area I was in (in addition to it being a pending tenement, which would suggest someone sees potential commercial potential at this spot as well).

Hey Phil this is what I mean , the full kit and kaboodle
1629149423_download.jpeg-23.jpg

aussiefarmer said:
Hey Phil this is what I mean , the full kit and kaboodlehttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5729/1629149423_download.jpeg-23.jpg

Cheers mate. I just picked up the Minelab Pro Kit and it is awesome! No gold yet, but I can see the potential with it.

Hi Phil, I'm also a newbie, only got out a few times in Victoria before this latest lockdown but did get my first gold the day lockdown was announced and can't wait to get out again!

I pretty much just watched every YouTube how-to video I could find, and feel pretty good that I'm not totally messing up my pans. I found Dan Hurd to be the most educational, along with Two Toes and Jeff Williams. I really enjoy Dunky & Rav3n, Diggin' for Gold, and Vo-Gus Prospecting for showing what prospecting in central Victoria actually looks like.

For equipment, I also got the Minelab kit. Plus a couple small tools for digging crevices, a small shovel, a towel, waterproof boots, a big drinking water bottle, and a backpack. The towel is the one I really didn't think about and wished I had on the first trip.

The main thing I didn't expect was how many things in my pan looked like gold to me, until I actually found gold and just how different it looks/acts to stuff like mica and pyrite. In retrospect, I think it would have been worth getting a small bag of paydirt to pan at home just so I really knew what gold looks like in the pan. Videos aren't great at showing that, you need to see it for yourself.

Hope that helps!

jaykraykray said:
Hi Phil, I'm also a newbie, only got out a few times in Victoria before this latest lockdown but did get my first gold the day lockdown was announced and can't wait to get out again!

I pretty much just watched every YouTube how-to video I could find, and feel pretty good that I'm not totally messing up my pans. I found Dan Hurd to be the most educational, along with Two Toes and Jeff Williams. I really enjoy Dunky & Rav3n, Diggin' for Gold, and Vo-Gus Prospecting for showing what prospecting in central Victoria actually looks like.

For equipment, I also got the Minelab kit. Plus a couple small tools for digging crevices, a small shovel, a towel, waterproof boots, a big drinking water bottle, and a backpack. The towel is the one I really didn't think about and wished I had on the first trip.

The main thing I didn't expect was how many things in my pan looked like gold to me, until I actually found gold and just how different it looks/acts to stuff like mica and pyrite. In retrospect, I think it would have been worth getting a small bag of paydirt to pan at home just so I really knew what gold looks like in the pan. Videos aren't great at showing that, you need to see it for yourself.

Hope that helps!

Thanks jaykraykray. I will take a look at the youtube clips. Just watched this one the other day and it made sense, in line with what I've been reading on here and other pages: https://youtu.be/QfBqkF7v47w

Maybe one day I will get back to Vic, when the berlin wall falls down. :lol: Stay safe over there, mate.

Phil

Phil8303 said:
20xwater said:

Sounds interesting, mate. Would like to hear more if you're happy to share?
It's to much to explain in words.
Something to think about..
I don't use the extra ruffles in the pan like a sluice riffle in any way. I lay the pan over while stratifying and use them as extra corners to sink the gold into.
Then gently dip and rip the blondes off the surface.
Dipping to fast creates turbulence and unstacks everything you achieve with each stratification..

When I first started gold a faced the problem of flour gold, black sand and tin in northeast vico. This is what created my technique as I learned to deal with the problem and refine the gold out using a pan. Only 1 prospector on this forum has seen how I do it, I've refined the technique even more since then.
1629279238_20210818_192800.jpg

I can swirl off all the black sand to the opasite side of the pan bit by bit by turning the pan around and stratifying the black sand into that corner nice and tight so the surface tension of the water sticks it there. Then spin the pan around again GENTLY and stratify the gold side then lightly swirl off and so on..

20xwater said:
When I first started gold a faced the problem of flour gold, black sand and tin in northeast vico. This is what created my technique as I learned to deal with the problem and refine the gold out using a pan. Only 1 prospector on this forum has seen how I do it, I've refined the technique even more since then.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2569/1629279238_20210818_192800.jpg
I can swirl off all the black sand to the opasite side of the pan bit by bit by turning the pan around and stratifying the black sand into that corner nice and tight so the surface tension of the water sticks it there. Then spin the pan around again GENTLY and stratify the gold side then lightly swirl off and so on..

Woah! 20xwater, you gotta share a video of this at some stage, champ! I would like to see how it is done. I reckon you would get some good views on Youtube as well. Cheers.

Phil

Phil8303 said:
Hi everyone,

I am in WA and keen to have a crack at panning and hear any advice from the experts.

Which pan and equipment would you recommend? Slow water, down stream, up stream? Also (and I apologise in advance if it sounds stupid), but how do you identify the smaller grains of gold? Do you dig deep, or aim for the first couple of centimetres of creekbed? Any other reflections? I keep hearing different advice, so any insights you can share, would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Phil

Well I wouldnt say Im an expert, but then Matt is a crazy old bugger and he is, so maybe a few pointers will help.

Get a good plastic pan or 2 , Garrets are perfect, the Minelab blue ones are ok, best to get off on the right foot. Those black ones are ok but deep set riffles are better. You can grab some leadshot and pieces to practice technique at home when you cant get out.

As for where to pan then you will start to get into all sorts of theories, but I expect you would just like some basic pointers to get you started.

Gold is heavy, and tends to accumulate together. Find the heavies (leadshot, glass, ironstone, gems etc) and you will find the gold. The smaller the piece, the further it will travel. Where you choose to start digging kind of depends on the area you are in.

Obviously start with a known gold bearing watercourse. There will be a "gold line" influenced by the flow, this is where people talk about inside bends, slowing water, back eddies, drop zones behind rocks, crevices etc. If you randomly sample along this you will eventually be able to target the gold.

What depth to dig? Again depends on the area. If its rocky look for natural riffles running across the water flow, or maybe you need to find the clay or decomposing slate zone, it may be in several layers laid down over time, it may be in an old paleo channel where the new watercourse intersected it, or it may be adjacent in the old course of the river as its moved over time.

And of course you will need to target between the area where the gold entered the waterway, and where it runs out.

Which is sort of why they say gold is where you find it. :lol:

And of course we are all probably 100 to 150 years too late. But theres something satisfying about digging holes and panning off. Even if the duffer pans will help while your learning, practicing panning technique, and teach you where the golds hiding.

Once your successful take note of why its there, the material its in, and the type of gold.

Might help to see if theres a prospecting group near you, time spent watching and learning with real time adjustments will help.

Its kind of hard starting out, not knowing the right questions to ask or how to ask them. But keep at it mate, gold rewards patience.

G'day Phil,

What is it your trying to achieve?

Sampling work, production....let me know and I can give better info.

What area are you in?

cheers

Tony

Phil8303 said:
jaykraykray said:

Hope that helps!

Thanks jaykraykray. I will take a look at the youtube clips. Just watched this one the other day and it made sense, in line with what I've been reading on here and other pages: https://youtu.be/QfBqkF7v47w

Maybe one day I will get back to Vic, when the berlin wall falls down. :lol: Stay safe over there, mate.

Phil

that video is not too good for WA conditions mate.

casper said:
......here's a youtube link that is nearly identical to the method that I use and is similar to what 20xwater describes. What I do different is that I don't swirl, I double-tap and back wash.
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/j8NuXBCidTg[/video]

The water has no bearing on the SG...with all respect to the fella who did the video. The water is used to create the right environment that allows the 'physics' to work and for the heavier bits and pieces to drop out. The fancy name for panning is 'wet gravity concentration'....the water is the 'lubricant' that allows the dirt particles to seperate and 'fluidize' and then gravity does it's thing with the heavies dropping out. Same thing in a dryblower...or .."dry gravity concentration'....the air and vibration creates the environment for the gold to drop out. Once you understand the basics of gravity separation you can pan with a shovel....or anything else for that matter.

Latest posts