Fridge Power Vs Loading Vs Covers,

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be interesting to measure the air flow in -with mesh and without mesh-maybe too scientific. In my car I have garden shadecloth in front of the radiator to stop bugs blocking the fins.

Jaros said:
It would be interesting to measure the air flow in -with mesh and without mesh-maybe too scientific. In my car I have garden shadecloth in front of the radiator to stop bugs blocking the fins.

I could meaasure that for you ?

Ridge Runner said:
Jaros said:

Would also be interested, have the same mesh on the combo cover and the green shade cloth on the home made cover for 39L.

Jaros said:

Ok using a 12v desk top/camping 80mm Fan at a distance of 305mm I got a maximum wind speed of 10.5mph OR 16.894 KPH

Now fitted with the ARB Mesh in front of the Fan.

And with the screen in front of the Fan I got a Maximum Wind Speed of 4.1 mph OR 6.596 KPH So It caused a 61% Loss in Air velocity, 6.596 is only 39.043% of the original 16.894 kph.

That would explain a lot with the power saving with the fridge.

Hope that helps,

Nightjar said:
Ridge Runner said:
Jaros said:

Would also be interested, have the same mesh on the combo cover and the green shade cloth on the home made cover for 39L.

I will try and get some of it, But because it is a lot more HD than the ARB Mesh I would say it would be worse, ??

I had another thought re my old Engel fridge. There is no fan in it. The only airflow is the wind and in the back of my 4x4 wagon there aint much of that with the windows up. So, down to the "old warm air goes up", lol.

mmmm interesting topic, i researched why my ford radiator was not painted flat black, the theory is that black will radiate heat but the experts tested black radiators vs silver ones, while driving, it doesn't matter, the air flow cools the water,atter, its when your in traffic when there's a notable difference but the radiator thermal fan is spinning thus cooling is in progress so at the end of my research my conclusion it didn't matter. Now for the portable fridges, the effectiveness to keep the inside cool is dependant upon the insulation used, the better the insulation the better the retention of the cold inside, some might disagree with this ,but one year when out back and the temp was 45 degrees my poor old engle ran constantly and it then it rattled somewhat, the explanation was the rattle is from a broken bit in the compressor, cost to fix about $700 plus get ok that's good so I bought a BUSHMAN stuff engel ,,, never looked back and very happy with my BUSHMAN , GREAT SERVICE TOO.
the ability of a fridge to reach the set temp depends upon the outside temp, if its a stinking hot day then there will be cold loss to the outside that's where the blanket might have done the trick i use 2" polystyrene foam around the bushman seems to fo the job l ,, plus i like the 12 volt only cable and plug a 240 volt adapter is available to run on outside 240 volt power

condor22 said:
I had another thought re my old Engel fridge. There is no fan in it. The only airflow is the wind and in the back of my 4x4 wagon there aint much of that with the windows up. So, down to the "old warm air goes up", lol.

No Fan ???? then thats an even bigger reason to remove the screens,

If you want to test it for your self without removing the screens just yet just cool it down and then run it without the cover on it,

I did it with mine and it used around power saving around 3.2Ah.

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
mmmm interesting topic, i researched why my ford radiator was not painted flat black, the theory is that black will radiate heat but the experts tested black radiators vs silver ones, while driving, it doesn't matter, the air flow cools the water,atter, its when your in traffic when there's a notable difference but the radiator thermal fan is spinning thus cooling is in progress so at the end of my research my conclusion it didn't matter. Now for the portable fridges, the effectiveness to keep the inside cool is dependant upon the insulation used, the better the insulation the better the retention of the cold inside, some might disagree with this ,but one year when out back and the temp was 45 degrees my poor old engle ran constantly and it then it rattled somewhat, the explanation was the rattle is from a broken bit in the compressor, cost to fix about $700 plus get ok that's good so I bought a BUSHMAN stuff engel ,,, never looked back and very happy with my BUSHMAN , GREAT SERVICE TOO.
the ability of a fridge to reach the set temp depends upon the outside temp, if its a stinking hot day then there will be cold loss to the outside that's where the blanket might have done the trick i use 2" polystyrene foam around the bushman seems to fo the job l ,, plus i like the 12 volt only cable and plug a 240 volt adapter is available to run on outside 240 volt power

Well If your Bushman looks like the Engel then after seeing this guys results I would remove the screens that cover the Air Vents. because he is spot On, The fridge will thank you and so will your power supply, :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
condor22 said:

No Fan ???? then thats an even bigger reason to remove the screens,

If you want to test it for your self without removing the screens just yet just cool it down and then run it without the cover on it,

I did it with mine and it used around power saving around 3.2Ah.

Nope, no fan in the early Engels, my newer combo 2008 has a fan.

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
Now for the portable fridges, the effectiveness to keep the inside cool is dependant upon the insulation used, the better the insulation the better the retention of the cold inside, some might disagree with this ,but one year when out back and the temp was 45 degrees my poor old engle ran constantly and it then it rattled somewhat, the explanation was the rattle is from a broken bit in the compressor, cost to fix about $700 plus get ok that's good so I bought a BUSHMAN stuff engel ,,, never looked back and very happy with my BUSHMAN , GREAT SERVICE TOO.

Each for their own but my two mates who got into prospecting in the early 90's wouldn't buy an Engel because they were two pricey.
Since the 90's the two have bought 7 portable fridges, 5 have died.
I think that speaks for itself the life and reliability of the Engel.
**A definite no, no is you don't run your portable from a generator, always use 12V while away from the grid.**

Nightjar said:
Each for their own but my two mates who got into prospecting in the early 90's wouldn't buy an Engel because they were two pricey.
Since the 90's the two have bought 7 portable fridges, 5 have died.
I think that speaks for itself the life and reliability of the Engel.
**A definite no, no is you don't run your portable from a generator, always use 12V while away from the grid.**

I checked out the Engel dealer over here and it looks like he is no longer selling them, which is a shame, I might have to search Engel EU and see what they got, :Y:

Nightjar said:
RR,
Buy cheap buy twice.
Penny wise pound foolish.

Just to mention a couple..?

Yep I just wish they would not stripe you up over here, from every thing from Diesel to Fridges, you name it they stick it to ya,

There are only 3 top fridges brands I would buy and thats Engel, ARB and National Luna. The New Dometic CFX3 range have design Issues and they are still selling them even though the know about it,

My ARB 47L has been running nearly 5 and a half years non stop so I can't complain,

Now I want a fridge that Suits/Fits the Van so I can maximize space and keep things tidy in there. :Y:

I was thinking of buying an Engel MT45F-G4CD-V 40lt Combi, partly because it's one unit that gives fridge and freezer, with less than a 3 amp power draw. One interesting spec on the Engel is;

• With the cabinet divider in place FREEZER 16lt/FRIDGE 23lt[/*]
  • With the cabinet divider in place and moved forward FREEZER 22lt/FRIDGE 17lt[/*]
  • With the cabinet divider removed FRIDGE ONLY OPERATION 40lt capacity.[/*]

Can anyone see the obvious anomaly?

In the first 2 options the fridge divider and baskets give a total of 39 litres. The 3rd option states the divider removed = 40lt. Not strictly correct as if you leave the baskets in, the space where the divider is located is unusable so it's only 40 litres with the divider and the baskets removed.

Back to the purchase thought; The better arrangement for me would be 23lt fridge - 16lt freezer. Then I thought, I have 29lt of Engel fridge now and with the Brass Monkey 15 lt of freezer, a total of 44 lt. Yes, the both will run more than twice the AH, but I don't run the BM every day, just to travel to the GT and do the shopping.

The Engel will keep on keeping on and if the BM stops working, I've only lost $199, cheap enough to replace. I have the power to run both, so $1,400 on a fridge is better spent on another Lithium for the 4x4.

condor22 said:
I was thinking of buying an Engel MT45F-G4CD-V 40lt Combi, partly because it's one unit that gives fridge and freezer, with less than a 3 amp power draw. One interesting spec on the Engel is;

• With the cabinet divider in place FREEZER 16lt/FRIDGE 23lt[/*]
  • With the cabinet divider in place and moved forward FREEZER 22lt/FRIDGE 17lt[/*]
  • With the cabinet divider removed FRIDGE ONLY OPERATION 40lt capacity.[/*]

Can anyone see the obvious anomaly?

In the first 2 options the fridge divider and baskets give a total of 39 litres. The 3rd option states the divider removed = 40lt. Not strictly correct as if you leave the baskets in, the space where the divider is located is unusable so it's only 40 litres with the divider and the baskets removed.

Back to the purchase thought; The better arrangement for me would be 23lt fridge - 16lt freezer. Then I thought, I have 29lt of Engel fridge now and with the Brass Monkey 15 lt of freezer, a total of 44 lt. Yes, the both will run more than twice the AH, but I don't run the BM every day, just to travel to the GT and do the shopping.

The Engel will keep on keeping on and if the BM stops working, I've only lost $199, cheap enough to replace. I have the power to run both, so $1,400 on a fridge is better spent on another Lithium for the 4x4.

Yeah is thought provocing, My Dometic 18L has a horrible section in the lower area where it is narrower that the rest of the main compartment,

The 47L is a good size and I can use it as a fridge and freezer at the same time, My favourite fridge is the 78L because it holds a heck of a lot and it cools very evenly due to the large size and in fridge mode it uses very little power and it can be set as a fridge and freezer at the same time,

I just need a 35L for every day use in the Van, The 18L is too small for shopping and the other 2 are a bit tall but the 78L is great for shopping trips.

Apart from space, my issue with a bigger fridge i.e. 67 lt Engel, they weigh 34kg empty, which given their physical size as well is about my limit of lift. And that's empty.

With food and or drinks, beyond lifting. That's before you even consider what the fridge full has on vehicle weight.

Latest posts