Asian hub assembly

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/W78RkF1mUOE[/video]

Done a cv in our dmax loaded up and bush bashing a few weeks ago,i put free wheeling hubs on it when i bought it a few yrs ago and i'm glad i did,thought it was just the inner boot that had come off but it tore the spline off the cv,i know there weak but we are in wa and what we do is far from heavy duty 4wding,anyway fixed and i repacked both sets of wheel bearings while i was at,of course one hub came apart when when i opened it up,i dont think it was working correctly.
Ive been through it b4 trying to reassemble them,found this video on utube which makes life real easy,thought i'd share it causes when there in bits those springs are a bit of a puzzle :D

Can you give an overall opinion on the Dmax?
We were gonna buy a new one but some bloke piped up with everything that goes wrong with them, like expensive engine repairs, weak transmission down to even thin paint??

Simmo said:
We were gonna buy a new one but some bloke piped up with everything that goes wrong with them, like expensive engine repairs, weak transmission down to even thin paint??

I think the trouble is when you get a long list from every model then you are going to get a long list of problems, especially in the digital age.

For what its worth I had a company dual cab dmax for 3 years, was an awesome vehicle. It was regularly maintained, and driven to purpose, pulling large loads on sealed roads and gad regular maintenance. The Fleet manager loved these, and hated the day they switched to Colorados.

My old man has one 2 years old, several contractors I work with have them, couple of mates, and myself do too, not forgetting a detecting buddy also has an Mux.

Dollar for dollar, and anecdotal evidence suggests to me they are a good buy.

Turbos going, front cracking, bad paint are pretty common complaints. But how much is up to the choices and driving styles of all these individual users? My old boy has done 180k in his with zero issues, but he looks after it. Goes off road and tows regularly, fitted a proper bullbar, and washes and garages it, so it hasnt been grandpa driving, but not flogged either.

But maybe Isuzu did produce some POS vehicles, (thinking of my sisters new SS rn, and got zero love from Holden or the dealer ) and that does happen no matter whos badge is on the bonnet. Its more about how often and what they do when it happens in my experience.

Edit, mine is an MY21, definitely better in many areas than previous, but the seats are still :poop: .

Simmo said:

Overall simmo it's a good unit,a bit weak in a few areas i think but that can be addressed to some degree.
Great motor,there we'll known as bullet proof 4jj1
Mines an auto,2018- 6sp and it's fine
One of the better chassis i think of the utes on offer,except the 79's of course
Ours is more or less a dedicated prospecting rig,(we have a town car) it's done 62,000 now and 40 would be dirt roads and tracks so it's done ok but it's no tough truck,i think the front diff location is a terrible design,it's 30mm behind the hubs,put suspension on it and a minor lift and the cv angle gets worse,today i just ordered a diff drop and relocation kit,busted cv's are no fun and they are known for it.
Also for long term abuse in the outback loaded up a bit i think the rear diff housing is another weak area,ive read of 2 that have snapped the housing just outside the leaf mounts on desert trips etc,i'll be addressing this on ours this summer.Brace and laminate it.
Yeah the paints nothing special also turbo failures as oldgt mentions was a problem ive read,our has been ok,another problem is the inner guards cracking on some,i noticed 8-9 months ago my front body mounts had collapsed more or less,there very soft rubber,no wonder the front guards crack,i threw them in the bin and welded a plate on the chassis mount and up front it's sitting on conveyer belt now.
It's ok for us but needs a bit more toughening up for constant outback travelling loaded up,if toyota had a 79 series in a space cab and auto well my $$$ would be on there counter,i need a space cab.
It's been very reliable,would i buy one again-yep
Would i buy one for hardcore 4x4ing in the mountains say over east -nope
There really designed for the tradie that pops out bush on the weekend or down the beach for a drive i'd say,all depends what ya want from one really...

Latest posts