Knee Pads

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Knee Pads as I have some boney bits under my knees that hurt if I kneel on the floor.
Should be good for prospecting and alluvial work around the creeks/rivers etc.
Not expensive $8.99 at Bunnings.

regards, Ned

1386045433_e-mail_kneepads.jpg

1386045454_e-mail_kneepads2.jpg

I have an old pair of knee pads with elastic back and hard plastic frnts. The are easy on the knees and you can just push them down if your walking any great distance.

I have had a few styles over my time in the army and these are the best most durable i have had. If you are buying a pair go for some with all round elastic. The velcro will rub your legs raw in no time. I have also tried the "slip-ins". I found they can slip down if your pants get wet or stay wet for any more than an hour or so..

Hope this helps anyone thinking about a pair they can wear all day..

Cheers Tone

knee pads are the bomb. I use a gardening knee pad good to move around easily and can use it fir a cushion as well
go123g-a.jpg

My suggestion is to use trousers like this, which can be got at Kmart etc with the padded knee pads

C172DUCKBLK_1.jpg

But put these combat knee pads in them, as they have the plastic caps which will stop the sharp rocks, and you won't have to worry about them faling down and the velcro scratching as you tuck them iinside the kneepad pockets

P_626002_1999307.JPG

I didn't go with the type that have hard plastic on the front as I thought they would slip and slide suddenly when kneeling on hard wet rocks , they would probably be fine on gravel or dirt

I ended up with thick soft ones so they grip rather than slide but I agree the elastic straps are a PITA so they are still not perfect , certainly gave me a flash of compassion for women putting up with their Bra straps though.

I reckon there is a risk they wont stay fashionable if I use superglue to attach them to my kneecaps so i will have to either put Velcro or press studs on my jeans when I get a round tuit or just go the trousers that have them built in

What ? Knee pads are so old school, along with iPads and walkie talkies. You should be looking around in one of these......

1386104725_walking_crane_color_concept_by_malaveldt.jpg

For what it's worth go with the pants idea I find that strap on knee pads cut circulation off to your legs when you have your knees bent for even a short time ' I paid $80 for a pair of elastic pads that are not ment to do it but they still do!

I bought a pair of pants at kmart today at $29 on special complete with foam knee pads. They will do me.

You almost need a bodysuit with inbuilt knee pads down here in SA, to thwart off those nasty inch ants and bull jumpers, man they can they bite, little buggars! I swear they come running for you when you come within a metre of their nest. :D

Why doesn't some one create a prototype. If its good, then get it produced offshore (sorry but AUS manufacturing is too expensive) and then resell it to AUS prospectors and adventurers here ?

Should not be to hard to combine some of the pants here with water proofing, some good external pockets, knee pads with tough fabric / material outside the waterproofing. Then mass produce it and have it stocked in local camping / adventure stores.

Idea / food for thought.

All that and more.

The Otto Patrol Pants.

3-layer eVent fabric is waterproof, fully seam-taped, and highly breathable
High rise waist allows for fitting over field pants and first-line equipment
Articulated knees
Zippered front fly
Full length side zips allow for venting, access to internal pockets and are easy to put on and take off
All zippers are water resistant
Removable suspenders, partial elastic waist band and micro adjusting belt
Weight 13.7 oz (388 grams) in size large

1386192928_otto.jpg

G0lddigg@ said:
bit off topic but Ive been trying to find a pair of waders with knee pads in them, or at least some type of support does anyone know of any in Australia?

always seem to end up with holes right on the knee and get a wet sock, got two pairs in the shed full of patches

Just browsing thru the Xmas catalogs and came across these at Aussie Disposals

Features

70 denier rated material
waterproof
seam sealed
Reinforced Knees
Adjustable shoulder strap and belt
Repair Kit included

1386210699_waders.jpg

awesome thanks Redfin i'll go have a look this arvo :) they kind of look like my last ones but they didn't have reinforced knees :)

hey redfin just went and bought a pair look like they might do the trick, theres a bit of support (three layers)the picture is of the inside of the legs not bad for a gram of gold hope i can buck the trend of the last two pairs
1386215819_20131205_144338.jpg
1386215826_20131205_144759.jpg
1386215833_20131205_144844.jpg

GD if I was you I would examine what type of adhesive is in the repair pack and source some more.
Then cut up patches of the old waders and apply to the areas of the new waders, where they normally fail [ie knees]
Good luck

Latest posts