Looking for ideas from the mechanically minded

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for practical suggestions.
We have a water bore on a piece of land we own that has a hand pump ( piston pump ) connected .
I think the bore has 2 inch diameter pipe (?) going down about 30 meters from memory ..
Its used to water a half hectare vegetable garden by filling up a couple of water barrels and then hand watering the veggies with a couple of 10 gal watering cans.
As you can imagine the current set up is impractical laborious and time consuming.
1626916683_ed7a481c-0d08-4364-be49-45d23a56ec04.jpg

Im looking at ways to convert the hand pump action from a manual to mechanical action.
Here is a video taken of our neighbours conversion.. they have a canvas fire hose attached to theirs..
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/FlnIq5fAEAQ[/video]
Thats one way that the locals do it but Im not keen on this kind of set up .. the conversion would cost about $200 Aus in parts/labour but to me it looks like a good way to damage the pump or hurt some one.
Id like to put a wind mill on there or a solar submersible pump but both are big bucks and like hens teeth in the Philippines..
If any one has an alternative suggestion please let me know.

aussiefarmer said:
Solar pumps are the best invention since the windmill but if its not feasible you will have build a wheel crank system like a steam trains wheel. Then drive it with wind, or push bike set up.
Wheel crank meaning something similar to what they are using in the video ?

Hello, just my two cents. The drop cam turned upside down with a compression spring on the piston or the scotch yoke turned 90 degrees on its side. How you power it would be up to you
1626925196_download.jpg
1626925505_images_-_2021-07-22t131448.505.jpg

You are not going to improve any thing unless you spend some money . Electric pump and solar power is my suggestion .

Mike678 said:
You are not going to improve any thing unless you spend some money . Electric pump and solar power is my suggestion .
Mike if the bore was here in Oz I would agree but its not...Hence the problem is how to improve the set up with whats available there where it is located..

nucopia said:
aussiefarmer said:
Solar pumps are the best invention since the windmill but if its not feasible you will have build a wheel crank system like a steam trains wheel. Then drive it with wind, or push bike set up.
Wheel crank meaning something similar to what they are using in the video ?
Bit like video more like goldfreaks pictures

The system in the video is probably the best design if you have limited supplys and logistics, could just doing a more refined version of what is in the video to make it safer be what you are looking for, and design it to only pump at the speed that a human is pumping the hand pump at and only run it as needed as to not wear the hand pump out, does the hand pump have any replaceable parts in it? If so also stock up on the wear and tear parts so you are not left broken down?!!

What country is it in?

In Thailand we use an electric pump, but I'd suggest use what the locals use usually.

Windmill pump jack ...this would work but I would have to locate one for sale here ,buy it and ship it over..
1626947814_29ac679e-4166-4a12-98a0-c93fd36d7c6c.jpg

Something similar to this design might work if they can get some one mechanically minded to put something together from local parts ?

1626947608_f887f054-9693-44dd-ab05-014844820816.jpg

We have a house in rural Thailand and from my front verandah it over looks miles of rice fields. I used to wonder why do they still use outdated farming methods from 100 years ago? There's great modern equipment available.

My wife says because that's how they farm it.

She's right.

You can buy them the latest greatest equipment, but before long it'll break, and there's no money to fix it.

Latest posts