Bega Valley NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Yorick,
I don't know you at all. LOL

We have many features down this neck of the woods that
does entail some research.
Glenn Bog is a really interesting place.
The main area's of interest to us Prospectors are
mainly covered by National Parks.
Gold and minerals occur in patch's mainly starting near Cathcart
extending to and past the Victorian Border.

Would like to catch up with you.
Send me a PM. :Y: :Y:

Mike678 said:
You could go and visit The Big Hole and Marble Arch , they are south of Braidwood . There is a camping ground there . The Big Hole is only a short walk . Marble Arch is a few k's .

Going more south , there is Snowball Goldfields . I have been there a few times .

Fabulous! I've been along a few stretches of the Shoalhaven by canoe and by shanks' pony, but never that area. Looks really gorgeous! As long as I don't forget to put my swag in the Ute like I did yesterday haha. As for Snowball, I've wanted to get on the other side of the Tinderry Range since I was a kid staring out the car window at the mountains over Michelago. Is it all Nat Park up that way?

Tathradj said:
Hi Yorick,
I don't know you at all. LOL

We have many features down this neck of the woods that
does entail some research.
Glenn Bog is a really interesting place.
The main area's of interest to us Prospectors are
mainly covered by National Parks.
Gold and minerals occur in patch's mainly starting near Cathcart
extending to and past the Victorian Border.

Would like to catch up with you.
Send me a PM. :Y: :Y:

Hahahaha! Well said. One thing I've never found in my diggings is a human skull, but at least I'd know just what to say once the shock subsided :lol:

That'd be great! I've slept in disgracefully... Flogged myself far too hard up at Yambulla yesterday. I'll send you a message later after I've got some work done around the farm.
All the best!

More info . on The Big Hole and Marble Arch can be found on the NParks website . The camp site is on the head waters of the Shoalhaven river , 50 mts. Just Google them up , plenty of photos .

It did take me some time to find the Snowball diggings , even with detailed directions . They had rebuilt the road , and the turn off was no longer there . I found it by walking around and then had to drive my Ford up a 1 mt. bank of loose soil . The diggings are shafts and alluvial . I did find a piece of gold and a poverty pot that I still have . It is in a forest area , the last time I went you could no longer drive all the way . A storm had passed by and a number of large trees had fallen , but it is not far to walk . If I went again , I would go and pan in the creek , to the right .

Yorick ? Is that a Polish name ? My neighbor is Polish , Zofia . I know her as Sophia which she used when working .

The name Yorick has been interpreted as an attempt to render a Scandinavian forename: usually either "Eric" or "Jrg", a form of the name George.[2] The name "Rorik" has also been suggested, since it appears in Saxo Grammaticus, one of Shakespeare's source texts, as the name of the queen's father. There has been no agreement about which name is most likely.[3]

Mike678 said:
More info . on The Big Hole and Marble Arch can be found on the NParks website . The camp site is on the head waters of the Shoalhaven river , 50 mts. Just Google them up , plenty of photos .

It did take me some time to find the Snowball diggings , even with detailed directions . They had rebuilt the road , and the turn off was no longer there . I found it by walking around and then had to drive my Ford up a 1 mt. bank of loose soil . The diggings are shafts and alluvial . I did find a piece of gold and a poverty pot that I still have . It is in a forest area , the last time I went you could no longer drive all the way . A storm had passed by and a number of large trees had fallen , but it is not far to walk . If I went again , I would go and pan in the creek , to the right .

Yorick ? Is that a Polish name ? My neighbor is Polish , Zofia . I know her as Sophia which she used when working .

You did well finding Snowball - it was in our exploration licence and I went looking for it (without success). Although it is probably not one of the great goldfields.....

Goldierocks When I went to Snowball it would be in the 1970's . I took my hand winch and dug a shaft , with the aid of my mate

only to fall into some old workings ... There was some claims pegged near by from guys from Canberra . I have the map for Snowball so I will put it up .

1626761856_img_0863.jpg

Poverty pot from Snowball . 110 m.m. long. I found it in the underground workings near the level . The old timers put their gold in these , it was empty when I found it .

I worked for a number of metallurgical company's Warman , Fox Anamet Enviromet Metcon Ammtec ALS .

1626763793_img_0864.jpg

As you look at that map , turn to the left . There is no track marked , it is opposite to the marked track .

OK.
You are close to a creek that deserves some scrutiny.
Tantawangelo Creek. ;)
You could be in for a bit of a surprise. O:)
If you look hard.
But, Take some one with you please.
It is not a nice place to be by yourself.

Gold is in nearly all of the creeks in that area.
A lot of it is in very small quantities.

It is also a very remote, snakey and steep place.

Latest posts