Mouse Plague Camp Solutions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm heading off for a three week trip out to North West NSW and South East QLD in August, where I'll be rolling out my swag each night.

With the mouse plague in mind, and with me preferring not to wake up with a swag full of holes and squeaking bastards, I thought I'd put the feelers out for any creative solutions anyone might have for camping with our rodent friends around?

Cheers,
Dan

Depends on how bad the numbers are where you're headed. Some areas you can't sleep outside, the ground is literally alive with them. I'm central west NSW and there's nearly none here now, but 100km away it's a massive problem still. I'd suggest perhaps get a frame to keep your swag up off the ground, and put each frame leg in a bucket of water or something similar.

Just a thought.

Take a trailer load of rodent poison with you ! I was in N.W. Q'land and there had been a good season . Many bush rats , I was sleeping in a old caravan . They came in and chewed on my thongs . They were also up around the stove .

dan1000 said:
Hey everyone,

I'm heading off for a three week trip out to North West NSW and South East QLD in August, where I'll be rolling out my swag each night.

With the mouse plague in mind, and with me preferring not to wake up with a swag full of holes and squeaking bastards, I thought I'd put the feelers out for any creative solutions anyone might have for camping with our rodent friends around?

Cheers,
Dan
Maybe buy a hammock ? :playful:

Although this is the main point of worry, there is another really bad issue which is even worse, and it is just not worth going out where they are and that is your Ve-Hic-le, The little buggas get in to all your electronics and wiring and can turn ya Truck/Van/4b in to a 100K paper weight leaving you stranded,

Even here I have lifted the bonnet and found Rat :poop: on top of the Air Cleaner Box from the night before,

One thing that does help is getting a load of used kitty litter that is wet from Cat "P" and carrying it in sealed containers and pouring it on your Tyres and all around your Vehicle leaving no gaps and they will avoid that area, And If Foxes are in the area "P" around the Boundries of your Camp and they will stay away also.

Try and find someone who has a cat and uses a Cat tray and ask them to keep the Kitty Litter for you before you head off so you get a good supply and that should help with the Mice problem,

Hope that helps,

John.

Clean engine bay, dry off then spray engine bay with peppermint oil water mix... stronger the better. Mice and rats hate it

As for in the camp... not much ya can do BUT, if ya got a ferret take it along cause their smell will keep rats and mice at bay

Bay leaves are toxic to mic and rats, they love them but can't chew them up properly and will choke on it

Instant potato powder, mice and rats love it but it causes inflammation of their intestine as soon as they drink, it will expand their guts to point of killing em

Aluminium shavings.. mice and rates will eat it and choke on it. Found this out one day after using a circular saw to cut some alloy, next day a rat was on the shaving pile with alloy shavings hanging out its gob - ha ha ha

A mate who farmed the wheat belt in WA had a bad plague once. He spread some seed out in the middle of a paddock which was placed on top of 7mm crush, under the crush was coiled up det cord.. did the trick after a few rounds

grab your wife's mob bucket, smear some peanut butter in the middle of the rollers, make sure the bucket has water in it to drown the suckers

Here's an oldie but a goodie.. smear some peanut butter inside the bottle opening and a bit of olive oil outside the bottle neck about 2 inches back from the opening

1625272953_mouse_trap.jpg

Latest posts