Blue Tick Mobile Phones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fairly sure blue tick phones have a blue tick on them. Think every country town resident is aware of them. They do give better reception, but out of range is out of range still.

We have 5g here in central west NSW, my phones not blue tick but my dad's is. Both phones are 5g, his reception is better but imo I'm not buying a new phone for slightly better reception.

Rather than 4G go for 4GX. Uses 700mhz (from memory made available from one of the 'rural' radio frequencies)

VoLTE is a big tick

Could also try a dongle on the end of your yagi. Save getting tangled

Made this simple Yagi that worked a treat with the Telstra F165.

1624094453_yagiantenna.jpg

Nightjar said:
Made this simple Yagi that worked a treat
Looks like you've already done so but for others interested, google cantenna and have a read about the different designs people have successfully used to improve range.

Yagi is great NJ, so long as you know where the towers are, lol. Geez that's an oldish phone, must be at least 10 years old lol.

Been playing with the new Tough Max 3 since I got home.

First things first, I tried my Boost Mobile SIM in it at the Telstra shop after I'd paid for it and it worked seemlessly just as I expected it would. :) So no need to pay an unlock fee.

I told the sales rep I used a 12 month expiry SIM @ $150 for 80GB. He then said to me, "Well we do a 12 mth SIM @ $300 for 180GB of Data." So I replied, "Well if I spent $300 with Boost, I get 240GB of Data, which is 33 1/3 more for the same price, what would you do?" lol. Calls n txts are unlimited either way as well.

He also said "well it may not work on the whole network." I educated him in saying it did work on the whole network. He also did not know that Telstra owned a % of Boost.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Currently, Boost is the only MVNO to make full use of the Telstra network others only use parts of it.1 Feb 2021" Copied from Canstar Blue's Web site and fairly current.

Again for those that hate acronyms, lol MVNO = Mobile Virtual Network Operator, they are retailers that buy network space from the 3 networks (Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone). Others such as Lyca, Belong, Aldi, Woolworths etc there are a lot more, don't use the entire network according to them.

As far as I can see the Tough Max 3 (TM3) also uses 4GX where available. The other bonus is that my Flip 3 patch lead fits the TM3, so no need for a new lead. :)

BTW although it is rated as such it does not have a blue tick on it, lol.

It comes with Android 9 and when I got connected to my WiFi earlier it updated to Android 10.

I've installed my apps as my Samsung, which include Oziexplorer (Android), Wikicamps and the State govt service apps for S.A. & VIC, plus others, they all seem to behave ok, so far. Still waiting for an authcode for ozi, the VIC app won't get used till I go back there and the SA app next time I try to QR in. But I'll wait with them until I port my other number to Boost otherwise I'll have 2 numbers registered and knowing government systems I doubt they'd cope, lol.

Excuse my ignorance Condor but where are heading with all this? Seems like the KISS process is long gone.
My Samsung S5 and Telstra F165 are over 10yo but will get me out of trouble if need be.
My old laptop runs Ozi and a tablet thrown in when I purchased the S5 runs Trilobite.
Needless to say not concerned about keeping up with the latest technology and all the extra data. Wouldn't have a clue what to use it for anyway.
As they say, "Each for their own." ?

condor22 said:
Wasn't a criticism NJ, like I've said constantly, if it works for you, great.

Hi Condor, Didn't think for one minute you were criticising. So you don't have to "constantly" remind me?
Was simply putting my experiences out there looking for answers.
But of course you are a know all, so enough said.

Nightjar said:
Can anyone explain this?
Have a 5 metre pole antenna set up at our camp that has a fitting for the patch lead to take the old Telstra F165.
During a recent visit I coiled the end of the lead to act as a cradle on the shelf to hold my Samsung S5 in upright position. (Have on occasions previously received text messages with phone elevated and in vertical position)
Was amazed when a text message came through and later was able to make and receive phonecalls?
Is it just freak reception or could the coils wrapped around the phone be improving reception in a remote area?

Mate, what you have inadvertantly done is created an inductive loop, or one winding of a transformer...
Putting your phone in close proximity to this loop, forms the other half of the transformer...

By arse or by class, the loops together allow the RF to pass to each other.
So your big antenna up high, is now adding to the efficiency of the phones internal antenna.

At these frequencies 'skip' is non existent.

Skip on HF is very common.
On VHF, with tropospheric ducting, can get great distances.
With UHF/SHF moon bounce comms is possible, but extremely hard to achieve.

Simmo said:
Nightjar said:
Can anyone explain this?
Have a 5 metre pole antenna set up at our camp that has a fitting for the patch lead to take the old Telstra F165.
During a recent visit I coiled the end of the lead to act as a cradle on the shelf to hold my Samsung S5 in upright position. (Have on occasions previously received text messages with phone elevated and in vertical position)
Was amazed when a text message came through and later was able to make and receive phonecalls?
Is it just freak reception or could the coils wrapped around the phone be improving reception in a remote area?

Mate, what you have inadvertantly done is created an inductive loop, or one winding of a transformer...
Putting your phone in close proximity to this loop, forms the other half of the transformer...

By arse or by class, the loops together allow the RF to pass to each other.
So your big antenna up high, is now adding to the efficiency of the phones internal antenna.

At these frequencies 'skip' is non existent.

Skip on HF is very common.
On VHF, with tropospheric ducting, can get great distances.
With UHF/SHF moon bounce comms is possible, but extremely hard to achieve.

Simmo, While rarer, ducting is also present in the UHF bands.
As an example, we carried out a new installation at Karratha and found the Service in Port Hedland was regularly able to communicate with Karratha, a distance LoS of 190Km - A quick frequency change sorted the problem.
With regard to NJ's experience with the cable improving reception, the mechanism is almost identical to the inductively coupled car kits being sold.

Hi Nightjar, the yagi you built do you know what frequency it is? This is a big learning curve, I am looking at a yagi and it is 698-890 mhz, but have no idea what I need for the Georgetown QLD area. The antenna on the bull is multi frequency and seems to work ok, so thought of maybe putting the yagi on top of the van.

Like I said big learning curve, any thoughts help much appreciated.

Condor, Sorry to load up your Blue Tick phone post but this does refer to mobile reception.

Morning Prooz, Just wrote a long explanation but it disappeared into cyber.
Here are some images of yagi I made in 2009, along with a jig to get the holes exactly right. (If you lived in Perth you would be welcome to pick it up.)
***The driven element where the wires connect must be halved with each half insulated from the other. (I used wooden dowel.)
No idea what the frequency is.
Attached it to the caravan wind up TV antenna so a search for towers could be made from inside van.
Worked a treat with the Telstra F165 with antenna port. (Think you can still buy them on eBay?

1624235554_yagi_002.jpg

1624235554_yagi.jpg

1624235554_yagi2.jpg

Latest posts