Blue Tick Mobile Phones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condor22

Mike
Reaction score
Thought I'd pass on some info re Remote Area Phones etc. Although there are many more, I'll only deal with the Telstra Network and note their Blue Tick phones.
Blue tick handsets have been tested by Telstra re their "better" reception in fringe areas. Some are smart phones, some are not and nearly all of them have no specific external antenna capability other than using a cradle with an induction pad connected to an external antenna.

I've done a fair bit of Googling on this topic. To date, I've only found 2 phones that have an external antenna port for a "hard wired" connection to an antenna. I'll also point out that anything else that might be on the internet is probably not locally sourced and there is an issue here. The following is an example...

A while back, I was looking for a Samsung Galaxy J5 dual SIM phone. Kogan had them on their website. So, I went to JB HiFi to perhaps have a look at one. The one they had was single SIM. When , I asked why this is and this is what I was told. "The one JB sold was imported by Samsung Australia (SA) and as such is covered by Samsung's warranty. The one Kogan sold was a European version which is dual SIM, but not supplied by Samsung Australia and as such SA do not cover their warranty or do any repair work on them. The only warranty you have is with Kogan." If correct, be careful what you buy on the internet. :)

The 2 handsets I found are both Telstra and both made by ZTE. The first is the Flip 3 @ around $120, it is not a smart phone, but is 4G and has WiFi hotspot and VolTe capability. The rest of the specs you can Google.

Here's a pic
1623944395_telstra-flip-3.jpg

Next....

The second is the Tough Max 3 which is a smart phone and again Google the specs. It is ruggedised. Cost is around $499

Piccy

1623944360_tough_max_3.jpg

More

Both phones will do similar things re using them as a wifi modem to a laptop. Both have a covered antenna port on the rear and you need to get a patch lead that fits the phone socket. The other end is a standard connector for a mobile antenna.

I bought the Flip 3 over a year ago, I don't think the Tough Max had been released at that time and it's predecessor was only 3G. My main phone is on the Optus network around town, so, I bought the Flip 3 to replace my old 3G Telstra. However, I found that because Boost Mobile operates on the entire Telstra Network and it was much cheaper than Telstra prepaid, I use them as a service.

Telstra actually own a % of Boost, so although the Flip 3 is locked to the Telstra network, the Boost SIM works flawlessly. Problem is I now have 2 mobile numbers and only use the Flip 3 when away prospecting.

The plan I'm on with Optus is $25/mth (should be $30 but it's bundled with wifey's phone and my home NBN). I use Boost with a 12 mth SIM for $150 = $12.50/mth.

My near future plan is to get the Tough Max, put the Boost SIM in it and port my long time normal number to Boost. This will save $25/mth as I'm already paying for the 2, and, it will need me to only carry the one phone. So down from $37.50 mth to $12.50 mth. Then I'll change the wife over in the same way for another $12.50 saving.

I also get more data with Boost than I presently get from Optus.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting late, so more tomorrow. I'll post my antenna set up and signal experience in VIC as an example..... :)

Following with interest, I have the Tough Max 3 coupled to an external antenna for use out from Georgetown QLD. Was hoping for better reception than what I am getting, sometimes the reception is good in camp, other times have to drive out along the road with every one else.

I feel the ZTE patch lead could be better were it plugs into the phone, I have made a little bracket to keep it plugged in and firm.

Had never heard of Boost Mobile, so will look into that.

Cheers,
Prooz

Antennas

There are basically 2 types - Yagi and Dipole

I'm not going to detail either, other than to say - A Yagi Antenna is directional, you need to point it at the transmitter and as my mate has found, at the limit or fringe of reception it can be affected by the weather as both types are.
Example
1623998502_yagi.jpg

A Dipole antenna is omnidirectional, that is to say you only need to get it reasonably vertical and it will receive from all directions. A Yagi can have a higher DB gain than a dipole, but is more suited to fixed installs, whereas a dipole suits mobile. I use a dipole and will detail next post, but here is the overall pic.
1623998562_ant1.jpg

As you can see from my install pic, the tip of the antenna is almost at 5M AGL (Above Ground Level for those that hate acronyms, lol.) I wanted something that was quick and easy to deploy without drilling holes and hanging more crap off the van. :)
1623998722_ant2.jpg

I did drill one hole for the cable for a cable entry gland.
1623998776_ant3.jpg

1623998776_ant4.jpg

The assembly and Gear used. - I had several telescopic tent awning spreaders and the one used is around 3.6 or more in length extended. I also had a bull bar mobile antenna from my previous drive and a swivel CB mount which I modified. When traveling the antenna folds back to the spreader and the pole telescopes down and the whole lot fits in the tunnel boot of the van. I use the awning upper and lower brackets to rest the pole against and it is secured with reusable cable ties. It stays put when I camp as I stay in the same spot for several weeks. Quick n easy to deploy and pack down.

Effect -

My mate is in a rural area dead spot. He has a Yagi on a pole 2 M higher than mine feeding a CelfiGo and from recent experience his phone signal is still occasionally iffy and internet depends on how you "bite your tongue".

My van is less than 20 M from his residence and I can't get a signal in my van from his system. I put my antenna up, plug in the Flip 3, WiFi hotspot to my laptop and get 4G most of the time at around 3 bars out of 5 signal strength. I've been online and received phone calls at the same time with no problem.

The difference - He's spent in excess of $1,500 on the celfigo, antenna and passive booster panels. Although I originally purchased the gear I have, I had it collecting dust in the shed, so no outlay. But probably less than $200 if I went out to buy. I also don't need to power a booster.

To add - I have to drive 7 kms to get an Optus signal from his place. My Telstra/Boost floats a signal outside, but very on/off and no signal in the van without the antenna.
At the moment, I only use the external when camped in the van, however I will be replacing my vehicle within the next 6-8 months and will look at a mobile antenna install for it as well as UHF.

PS I'm off to the Telstra shop tomorrow to pick up a Tough Max 3. :)

Hope this post is of help. :)

I'm hopeful the Tough Max will accept my Boost SIM without needing to be unlocked. If it does great, if not, it's worth the $80 or so to unlock. I'll post the result. 8.( or :)

Interesting, we're about to install a RV-WiFi which comes with an omnidirectional 3g, 4g & Wifi antenna for the roof of the van. It's supposed to boost the signals with a wifi reach of around 40m from the van, plus can take a 1T drive for watching movies etc. We're just hoping it does what it claims, bit hard to change when you're in the middle of nowhere :(

My previous setup was a Telstra WiFi Modem feeding my laptop + A Telstra 3G mobile + a small magnetic base whip antenna. Both have a patch lead for external antenna. The problem is that I could only connect one or the other, so if I was on the laptop internet, I couldn't make n take calls and vice versa. Plus I had to pay for a prepaid mobile and then prepaid WiFi.

I went to a 4G handset with WiFi tethering/hotspot for 2 main reasons. 1. Only needed to connect one device to give both services simultaneously. (phone/internet).
2. Telstra 3G is phasing out and is pretty crap for bandwidth anyway.

Although when at the limit a 4G device can revert to 3G, which is still ok for phone calls.

I deployed the whip on the roof of the van by opening the vent hatch and sitting it on the roof. The roof is aluminum so the magnet doesn't work, but heavy enough that it never moved. Obviously not left there during travel. Wasn't ideal as it left an insect gap, whereas the cable gland seals. I did wrap some insulation tape where the cable goes through the seal as the hole is bigger than the cable.

The Tough Max gives me all I want in one device;
1. A rugged IP67 semi waterproof phone.
2. A smart phone, albeit not all singing n dancing, lol.
3. An external antenna, most important.
4. All the WiFi hotspot tethering functions I need.
5. Good battery life.
6. On the best network (Telstra)for rural areas and hopefully accepting of Boost without unlocking for a better economical service. (more data and unlimited calls n txt.)
7. Able to reduce from 2 mobiles on 2 networks to 1.

As with other topics, we all have different need/wants/budgets, this post is only intended to give my perspective/experience and I welcome others to pen their experiences. Apart from my perhaps learning something, I'm sure others will to. :)

Being an IT Tech, Mobile internet plus
being able to converse is critical in the field.

I am on Boost and $40.00 per month more than covers me
for my needs.

Phone is a 4g only but does me well.

upgrading to some thing else about the end of the year
and that Tough phone has caught my eye. :)

Simmo, 5G might be the go in the cities, but very rare out bush, lol. I had a look at the 5G Telstra coverage map, might cover a large % of the population but bugger all of the geographical area of the country, yet!

Having said that, I rarely use my mobile for streaming or big downloads. That usually happens at home on the NBN WiFi. Telstra are phasing out 3G over the next 3 or so years at which point most rural areas will be 4G. I hazard a guess that it will be several more years before 5G covers the entire network.

Tath, the $40 plan for 50GB is great and equates to $480 for 600GB P.A. When home I use the NBN unlimited and only need mobile when prospecting. Covid excepted, I usually get 3-4 months away, when detecting and elected (initially) the 12 month plan @ $150 for 80GB (due to Covid lockdowns) which gives me a bit more than 20GB/mth @ $12.50/mth.

However, as I'm going to lose Optus on my main number and go to one device, for the same price as Optus per mth, I can get a 12mth SIM for the same price @ $300 P.A. or $25/mth and get 240GB.

On my current Optus plan, I only get 3GB p/m and have never run out and rarely anywhere near my limit, lol. I doubt I use more than 20GB when home per year, so for the 240GB plan, that would give me over 50GB when away and for $180 less than a monthly plan.

Always an individual decision, but the above is what sways me, lol. The other plus is that I can set n forget for 12 months without having to check the date every month or set up an auto payment. :)

More....

FYI - I don't pay my mobile or NBN bills via direct debit, here's why.

Back in 1993 I bought my 1st mobile, let's call it a "brick". I also had a home phone. This is also before many bills were paid by direct debit.

In 1995, I got a Telstra bill for in excess of $3,500 when normal bills were less than $100. On checking the bill there were dozens of calls made to 1 900 numbers. I complained to Telstra, who were at first unsympathetic, until I pointed out that both my partner and I were in the U.K. at the times these calls were made and no one had access to the phone. They waived those charges and rightfully so.

The thing with direct debit payments, especially for accounts that can fluctuate, like phone, electric, gas etc is that they take the money and you rarely know how much until you check your balance or statement. The onus is then on you to prove a problem and get the money back and that can take months.

Direct debit is fine for things like Health Insurance, or other fixed amount accounts, but ever since the above occurred, I've controlled my phone, and utility accounts as it's easier to complain before you pay. :)

While I'm on a roll lol.....

A few years ago, I got a dishonour fee from my bank. On checking it was some Oriental named person that hit my Paypal account (from the U.S.).
I only had approx $150 in the account and they hit me for USD $1,200.

I rang the bank to explain and they returned the fee, great. The very next day it got hit again, same person, same amount and another fee, also subsequently returned. I cancelled that debit card (linked to Paypal) and got a new one.

I then contacted Paypal, asking them to close that account and open a new one. They said they could not do that, only tag a new debit card to my account. I asked them to close my account, they said they could not do that either, all they could do is freeze it. So I said ok freeze it, which means I can't use it either. That was 9 years ago.
-------------------------------------------
What do I do now for the little I buy online? My answer, I opened another account with my bank with it's own debit card. I keep the balance in the $20-$40 range just to keep it open. When I buy online, I get the price, then go to online banking, transfer from my "other" account to that card, pay for the item, so the balance is very quickly back to the $20-40 limit.

In that way, if it gets hit, it's a very small amount and I contact the bank for restitution of any fee. :)

I don't use Paypal, so what! not the end of the world lol.

Can anyone explain this?
Have a 5 metre pole antenna set up at our camp that has a fitting for the patch lead to take the old Telstra F165.
During a recent visit I coiled the end of the lead to act as a cradle on the shelf to hold my Samsung S5 in upright position. (Have on occasions previously received text messages with phone elevated and in vertical position)
Was amazed when a text message came through and later was able to make and receive phonecalls?
Is it just freak reception or could the coils wrapped around the phone be improving reception in a remote area?

Nightjar said:
Can anyone explain this?
Have a 5 metre pole antenna set up at our camp that has a fitting for the patch lead to take the old Telstra F165.
During a recent visit I coiled the end of the lead to act as a cradle on the shelf to hold my Samsung S5 in upright position. (Have on occasions previously received text messages with phone elevated and in vertical position)
Was amazed when a text message came through and later was able to make and receive phonecalls?
Is it just freak reception or could the coils wrapped around the phone be improving reception in a remote area?

Sounds like Skip to me, I once sat in my car at Dulong lookout just off the Mapleton road Outside Nambour and was speaking to someone In Broken Hill on the CB just using a 2ft antenna fitted to a Gutter Grip on the Car, And the signal was pushing 7 to 9s, According to Google thats 1569k's

My new CB can push 40watts and has around 600 channels and you can reprogram it with other channels and it does AM.FM and UHF and SSB,, I would love to fit it in the Van and take it high up on a Hill some place. :Y:

Jaros is on the ball, about the only explanation.

The radio wave length is what allows "Skip" off the Ionosphere or other "things".

The old 27 meg CB frequencies do skip, I had one and on occasion briefly chatted from Adelaide to Canada and Scandinavia etc.

H.F. (High Frequency 3 to 30MHz) Long range Range from 500 to thousands of Kilometres. Very susceptible to atmospheric interference. Although this frequence works at short ranges, I actually found local coms may not happen when long range did, so it's not an ideal short range frequency.

V.H.F. (Very High Frequency 30 - 300 MHz) Medium range communications. Range 70-100km (aircraft several hundred km).

U.H.F (Ultra High Frequency 300-3000 MHz) Short Range, handheld radios, cell-phones, T.V. In the high U.H.F. range the signal can "bounce" off buildings. Skip is not an issue.

Current CB, mobile and digital TV are very much line of sight. I've done a 3D map interpolation of my mates locality. He's only 14 kms from the Telstra tower, but a direct line of sight cuts through a couple of hills by only a few metres. Getting an antenna higher is the only solution. There are locations within 500 M of his land that get a signal without an antenna due to a. being higher or b. are sideways from line of sight that miss those 2 hills. Being rural, building "bounce" isn't in the mix.

Latest posts