gps problem can anyone help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
FYI we buy GPS receivers for a few $100s. "Precise" GPS devices run into 10s of thousand $. Where I worked in Defence had one and back in around 2000 it cost over $30k and believe me, it was a lot more accurate than 5 M.

Yeah, I get centimeter accuracy on my old units after processing.

grubstake said:
This is the official US Government website for GPS system information and their advice regarding Selective Availability:
https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/modernization/sa/

Here is an extract from that webpage:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...es/4012/1623720562_selective_availability.jpg

I had a good go through that site yesterday, makes me wonder why Garmin still printed that info years after 2000/2007,

A couple of years ago my satnav software kept telling me to turn right when I was driving on one of these motorways and it showed me that I was about 3/400m off to the left driving through paddocks, it's never done it since.

condor22 said:
FYI we buy GPS receivers for a few $100s. "Precise" GPS devices run into 10s of thousand $. Where I worked in Defence had one and back in around 2000 it cost over $30k and believe me, it was a lot more accurate than 5 M.
Absolutely right Condor, was one of my areas of expertise in the RAAF also. Since the Hornet Upgrade (HUG) in about '08 we have had very accurate stuff. The stuff I can mention and you'll find on Google is L2 code etc. The other stuff used with it that bring our armament delivery accuracy down to about a repeatable 50mm of error. That's how they put missiles accurately through windows :Y: :skull: :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
grubstake said:
This is the official US Government website for GPS system information and their advice regarding Selective Availability:
https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/modernization/sa/

Here is an extract from that webpage:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...es/4012/1623720562_selective_availability.jpg

I had a good go through that site yesterday, makes me wonder why Garmin still printed that info years after 2000/2007,

A couple of years ago my satnav software kept telling me to turn right when I was driving on one of these motorways and it showed me that I was about 3/400m off to the left driving through paddocks, it's never done it since.

One thing that has not been mentioned that can really throw out GPS apparent locations is multipath which can really negatively affect accuracy on the ground.

The crazy thing about the accuracy levels of GPS's is if someone sends a rocket within a few meters of a target it's going to kill every thing in a 200m radius anyway,

Ridge Runner said:
The crazy thing about the accuracy levels of GPS's is if someone sends a rocket within a few meters of a target it's going to kill every thing in a 200m radius anyway,

Civilian GPS chips won't log data above a certain groundspeed to negate the threat of them being repurposed as missile guidance systems to my knowledge.

Surely only the coordinates are all thats needed to get a targets location, A rockets GPS is the one that needs to compensate its speed Vs target location,

Getting a target location is pretty easy if you have the right gear, And certain maps can go down to 10m squares.

Ridge Runner said:
Surely only the coordinates are all thats needed to get a targets location, A rockets GPS is the one that needs to compensate its speed Vs target location,

Getting a target location is pretty easy if you have the right gear, And certain maps can go down to 10m squares.

Target location is easy. Guiding a missile there, not so, as the gps chip will stop tracking once speed exceeds 600 m/s unless you have a permitted chip in your missile!

Wow! so you blokes have got rocket launchers in tow when yer out detecting!!??
That is one way of dealing with Patch jumpers aye.
My second hand 100 buck Explorer gets me within 5mtr of a set in way point. Close enough for me....especially so now that I seldom get into the gold fields anymore. :D
although it did try to steer me of the road one snowy night coming down Mnt hotham. :argh:

diggit said:
Target location is easy. Guiding a missile there, not so, as the gps chip will stop tracking once speed exceeds 600 m/s unless you have a permitted chip in your missile!
Current system Australia and allies are using for the most, the missile does bugger all tracking. The jet or platform/s maintain the target and communicates telemetry etc with the weapon. Allows the platform releasing the missile to not even see the target in some cases.
Check out MIDS/Link-16 :Y:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multifunctional_Information_Distribution_System

And if you would like some more war nerd stuff...Network Centric Warfare...
https://asiapacificdefencereporter....centric-warfare-on-target-to-meet-objectives/

Nerd rant over...I miss my career 8.( ;)

LostNTired said:
diggit said:
Current system Australia and allies are using for the most, the missile does bugger all tracking. The jet or platform/s maintain the target and communicates telemetry etc with the weapon. Allows the platform releasing the missile to not even see the target in some cases.
Check out MIDS/Link-16 :Y:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multifunctional_Information_Distribution_System

And if you would like some more war nerd stuff...Network Centric Warfare...
https://asiapacificdefencereporter....centric-warfare-on-target-to-meet-objectives/

Nerd rant over...I miss my career 8.( ;)

Cheers for that. I'm just going off something I was told a long time ago, referring to icbms iirc. I used high accuracy dual freq gps units in the civilian space years ago but haven't kept up to speed with the tech since. Technology moves on so far these days :D

diggit said:
Ridge Runner said:
Adrian ss said:
Wow! so you blokes have got rocket launchers in tow when yer out detecting!!??

We only use them to save on digging, That Red Clay can be hard goin Ay, :Y: :playful: :playful: :playful:

It makes back filling the crater a real pain though :lol:

Blame it on a meteorite and tell the kids its their new sandpit :Y: :perfect:

Simmo said:
L & T,
I was onboard during a test fire of a couple of these babies!
No idea how they were aimed, the targets were OTH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8elfKsYXLW0
Yeah, that's some pretty wild stuff. Pretty sure they have some internal nav system (INS) combined with GPS. Regardless, you don't want to be at GZ :skull: :skull: :skull: :D

Ha! My name is Simon White, so in the Navy I was 'Chalky'.
Simmo came about much later, I had long hair and some bloke down the pub would always call me 'simone',
Anyway folks heard it and thought he was saying Simmo, so it stuck!

Ridge Runner said:

True, but when you can put it through his/her window depending on the munitions, it can reduce collateral damage. Then there's Global Hawk that can read your car number plate from 60,000' + altitude and we worry about being 5M from were we think we are, ehhh.

I was fortunate enough to be standing adjacent to the runway at Edinburgh, as Global Hawk landed and see into the ground pilot's control box whilst it did. Amazing how it flew from, if memory serves, Edwards USAF, non stop. Switching control from land bases in the U.S. Hawaii, Guam, OZ as well as carrier based control enroute, through satellite. Also got to have a look when it was in the Hangar. Amazing piece of kit, think, body of a big Learjet, wing span bigger than a 747.

condor22 said:
Ridge Runner said:

True, but when you can put it through his/her window depending on the munitions, it can reduce collateral damage. Then there's Global Hawk that can read your car number plate from 60,000' + altitude and we worry about being 5M from were we think we are, ehhh.

I was fortunate enough to be standing adjacent to the runway at Edinburgh, as Global Hawk landed and see into the ground pilot's control box whilst it did. Amazing how it flew from, if memory serves, Edwards USAF, non stop. Switching control from land bases in the U.S. Hawaii, Guam, OZ as well as carrier based control enroute, through satellite. Also got to have a look when it was in the Hangar. Amazing piece of kit, think, body of a big Learjet, wing span bigger than a 747.

Yeah they got some amazing gear nower days, Got my eyes opened a few years ago with what I saw.

I have a lot of optical gear that can range things and I can get maps that go lower than 10m square and I have some Mil-Spec protactors so I can read it measure it or draw it within less than half a meter accuracy if pushed.

Latest posts