Snickers are made in China

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thedigger said:
Well Goldierocks,I was refering to "FOOD"
Yep, Mars. Wrigleys, NZ seafood....there is a lot else in all those billions of imports. It was up to $1.7 billion per year of imported Chinese food a couple of years ago (that is a lot more than snickers and chewing gum). And "Thailand, China and Vietnam dominate the importation of frozen and processed seafood to Australia. The amount of processed food imported from China particularly fruit and vegetables has also increased in recent years".

Like you, I try to look at sources, but things like "packaged in NZ" make that difficult. I try to buy food that is "sourced in Australia" (not keen on fish grown in a basket hanging from a boat in the polluted Mekong River either). But each to their own.....

Jaros said:
For veggies go to farmers markets-sometimes a butcher van at these markets.

I think we should embrace the slow food movement much more than we do. While I think of it, there is a shop called the Fat Butcher in Inglewood Vic. They have a sign out the front that reads "Private bodies, cut up. Mother-Inlaws $1 extra per Kilo" :lol:

Ded Driver said:
A found a bit about it, supposed to be temporary according to this extract,
"A spokesperson for Mars Wrigley Australia, the company behind Snickers, tells 9Honey the iconic bar is being temporarily sourced offshore to accommodate a major $40 million upgrade to its Australian facility. "We've been making products in Australia for more than 100 years."

Still at full retail on the shelves though....Once they put Aussie made back on the label will once again help aussie workers out by buying again. Love a cheeky Snickers.

Maybe it's time for a new aussie made chocky bar line for filling the isles left right and centre.... as long as they make a pillywaffle, martian bar, crockit cat, crunchin munchin bar, etc & etc..... at least we'll know it's all aussie made from ridgy didge aussie products and comes from around the corner somewhere where good old aussies are pickin up a pay check every thursday arvo.... every week. And that the bosses are aussie n investing their profits into more aussie ingenuity. :p

goldtrapper said:
"Soylent green", took Charlton Heston the whole movie to figure that one out.... :lol:

I liked him better in The Omega Man. Neville!!!! Tonight!, Tonight!............. :)

What's the bet someone got some delta mail from India the other week.... and the powers to be are still scratching their bums about where it come from.... so much so that they made up some waffle about viral load particles from quarantine testing must have been too small to pick up, so they couldn't trace it.
Check the mail boys and girls... someone could accidentally import more than a bit of fine bombay curry powder.... only takes someone sick to be still working over there (hand to mouth existence type scenario)... and this sort of thing will end up happening more and more into the future unless they stock import mail for a decent holding period to protect the sorters and the posties... after all it is an evolving mutant virus we are dealing with.

silver said:
Maybe it's time for a new aussie made chocky bar line for filling the isles left right and centre.... as long as they make a pillywaffle, martian bar, crockit cat, crunchin munchin bar, etc & etc..... at least we'll know it's all aussie made from ridgy didge aussie products and comes from around the corner somewhere where good old aussies are pickin up a pay check every thursday arvo.... every week. And that the bosses are aussie n investing their profits into more aussie ingenuity. :p

The milo bar used to be a ridge didge aussie chocolate bar. Pure compressed milo, coated in creamy milk chocolate. Mmmmmmmm. :drooling: :drooling:
Then they stuffed it up by changing the recipe to something resembling a chikito. Then of course nobody bought them anymore, and that was the end of milo bar.. 2 dumb acts in that scenario.
I wish they would bring THE ORIGINAL milo bat back as it was my favorite choccy bar. 8.( 8.(

Get over it, remember when we wouldn't buy Japanese products, within 10 years India will be the greatest exporter. Approx same population as China. (For the time being; Chinese number off offspring per couple has increased from two to three) They need the extra population to cope with the exports. :playful:

Deepseeker said:

Perhaps it got up their nose too - "Chinese gooseberry" is the lesser-known name for the kiwifruit, a popular subtropical fruit that became well known around the world in the 1950s, when it began to be exported from New Zealand on a large scale.. The fruit is native to Southern China, where it has historically been known by a range of names. In the early 1900s, several plants were imported to New Zealand

A bit like the Hawaaians did with our macadamia nuts.

Deepseeker said:
Jaros said:
For veggies go to farmers markets-sometimes a butcher van at these markets.

I think we should embrace the slow food movement much more than we do. While I think of it, there is a shop called the Fat Butcher in Inglewood Vic. They have a sign out the front that reads "Private bodies, cut up. Mother-Inlaws $1 extra per Kilo" :lol:

Makes no sense - why would a product in oversupply cost more?

hippyhunter said:
silver said:

The milo bar used to be a ridge didge aussie chocolate bar. Pure compressed milo, coated in creamy milk chocolate. Mmmmmmmm. :drooling: :drooling:
Then they stuffed it up by changing the recipe to something resembling a chikito. Then of course nobody bought them anymore, and that was the end of milo bar.. 2 dumb acts in that scenario.
I wish they would bring THE ORIGINAL milo bat back as it was my favorite choccy bar. 8.( 8.(

You could make your own, given that the ingrediaents of the original milo bar are simple

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/diy-milo-bar-the-original-attempt.479645/

Or start a revolution

https://www.facebook.com/bringitbackyoubastards/

Nightjar said:
Get over it, remember when we wouldn't buy Japanese products, within 10 years India will be the greatest exporter. Approx same population as China. (For the time being; Chinese number off offspring per couple has increased from two to three) They need the extra population to cope with the exports. :playful:

Trouble is, China has a lot more money that it can invest in manufacturing than India. I think 10 years is very optimistic, but it will happen.

1623137920_countries_total_wealth.jpg

Latest posts