Geology student heading up to FNQ

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a geology student/prospective exploration geologist at the University of Queensland and thinking about heading up to FNQ for a little adventure during the winter holidays and hoping to convince some of my cohort to join me in the fun.

The plan is to have a go at some gold panning and fossicking, if any experienced locals could spare some time to show us the ropes we could repay the favour in beer. Also any tips or suggestions in the replies would be most welcome (both where to go and what to buy). I've been told about the Palmer, Emu Creek (for topaz) and Goldborough/Little Mulgrave but that's about it.

I grew up in Cairns/Yungaburra so know the area pretty well, but not so much the prospecting side of things.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say,

All the best,

Tom

I am also in college now. This is an interesting time, many new acquaintances and hobbies. I am currently creating student council posters to raise some serious questions. In my spare time, I prefer hiking in the wilderness.

Latest posts