Can anyone Id this button?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flash Jack said:
What makes this search even harder is that whatever you type into a search engine it gives you too much American stuff. Even when you type words like, British, English, Australian, Queensland, Victorian, Regina, Queen, Monarchy, New South Wales, South Australia etc, etc, you get bloody American posts!
I'm not quitting yet but "gee", it's hard!
Right?!!!

MegsyB007 said:
Hi all...

Came back to this thread after a few days off and went back into the interminable search of gilt buttons - arghh!
I'm with you Deepseeker! Once lost in the search, time disappears and you suddenly realise you've been at it for hours! Your eyes are almost bleeding and you sidetrack to some weird and wonderful info too!

I haven't found the darn button yet, however, I did find this interesting piece of info that could help in future to date some buttons!
I thought it could be interesting for others too.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/13534/1622354750_royal_cyphers.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/13534/1622354777_info.jpg

Cheers,
Megsy
Thanks a lot for that megsy

1622372222_img_20210530_205426.jpg
1622372239_img_20210530_205457.jpg

Couple diff shots of the mystery letter..

Yep, if you look at Casper's earlier post it's a dead ringer for a corroded U. Now cleaned up, even more so. It's a mystery

I also thought it UR but much clearer as that now.

And like everyone else I've no luck in working it out. Mineallmine, any chance where you found it that it may be a "local" police or military unit? I saw in some of my searching (a bloke from SA on an American button site if I recall) that in SA many towns/localities had their own military buttons.

Good brainstorming guys, and a valid point Detectist. At first I was thinking a Livery button, but then it wouldn't make sense there being a crown with the family's initials. Of course, towns/localities/organisations often did have their own militia or cadet regiment. It could be (for instance) something as easy as University Regiment or similar.

By the way, here's a pic of a button from the 1st Oxford University Rifle Corps. The U is exactly the same as mineallmines find.
1622504752_oxfordrifles.jpg

And then, here is a South African button from the Umvoti Mounted rifles. Completely different font, but also with a crown. That's another thing to muddy the waters- Many countries were at one time a British Colony or part of the Commonwealth, and could at one time have had a crown on their buttons. But, once again the detail in the crown could tell us under which monarchs reign the button was made.

1622505113_umvoti.jpg

The button itself may even be a red herring, in that it could be a one-off rat find brought back from war to Australia by a returned soldier?

"Treble Gilt Standd Colour"

A lot of makers put that on the back of their buttons, attesting to their supposed superior quality. Although, a lot of them didn't abbreviate Standard to standd. A better photo though may reveal some other detail.

Detectist said:
I also thought it UR but much clearer as that now.

And like everyone else I've no luck in working it out. Mineallmine, any chance where you found it that it may be a "local" police or military unit? I saw in some of my searching (a bloke from SA on an American button site if I recall) that in SA many towns/localities had their own military buttons.
It was found where an old police camp/stables used to be, and I've found quite a few military items as well.. Still can't think of what 'U' could stand for tho..

Latest posts