Difficult gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nightjar said:
Phil,
Make your self a small recirculating 12V sluice, pans are a PITA.
Plastic boxes from bunnings, connected together with an overflow pipe.
PVC pipe laying around
10mm square door seal for riffles
Couple of layers of shade cloth in bottom section to catch anything that escapes.
**Most important** A bottle of el cheapo dishwasher liquid (The blue solution used to shine your plates.)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1414/1621933373_sluice_12v_bilge.jpg

Peter I have the Gold Rat magic mat that I put the concentrates over before getting about a pan of dirt back. It seems to do a good job of catching the gold even though the water is flying over at 17,000 L/hr but it still includes all the black sand and lead. There's an awful lot of very fine balls and chunks of lead that just doesn't want to part from the gold in the pan.

I think Simmo has the right idea. I shouldn't waste my time on separating it just shove it all in a furnace and burn off the waste.

Hello Moneybox.
What I do is boil it in hydrochloric acid,and then pour off the acid and then put bicard soda on it,that really gets at the ironstone.That helps a lot.

When all material looks melted, make sure you give your crucible a bit of a shake and a swirl. It helps all the gold collect together.

If your in NSW, add all the mineral layers to get an idea of what you might be dealing with?
Tin and graphite are a challenge

1622030931_55.6g.jpg

This is where I'm up to. Hopefully I'll get time tomorrow to tidy it up so that it actually looks like gold. It's been sitting in the Alibrite for about 30hrs so some of the black scale has gone but its still ugly.

Latest posts