Difficult gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
I guess it's me but I'm having a hard time panning this gold.

1621851409_18.69g.jpg

What ever I try I can't stop the gold heading over the side of the pan. It's very flat and not nice clean nuggets in fact it's very fine with the biggest at perhaps 0.1g. I've manually picked out the majority of the lead and there's heaps of it. Then after drying it I've removed as much black sand as I can with a magnet. There are still a lot of little bits of what looks like sand but it seems to be as heavy as the gold. I started picking out the bigger red bits until I realised they were actually gold with a red stain.

This is 18.69g after five hours on the dryblower. It's performing much better since I slowed it down but the gold is so fine that a lot of it is no bigger than a grain of sand. The melt didn't reduce the weight as much as I thought it would so perhaps a lot of what looks like sand it really gold.

Did you put in a little dish wash in with the water Phil

I can not remember the one that I use and it is out in the shed and it's raining :)

Panning takes time and patience :)

goody2shoes said:
Did you put in a little dish wash in with the water Phil

I can not remember the one that I use and it is out in the shed and it's raining :)

Panning takes time and patience :)

Yes Goody I did add a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid.

Phil just take you time with it

Try just panning out a small amount at a time

A small bag of paydirt I would pan that out in 3 or 4 small amounts at a time

Then I will redo it again later

At the end of it I put the gold back into the pan and redo with what is in the pan , so then you end up with cleaner gold

I have a very small amount to do myself but I am waiting on doing it until I have a little more to do :)

Moneybox said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1621851409_18.69g.jpg

What ever I try I can't stop the gold heading over the side of the pan. It's very flat and not nice clean nuggets in fact it's very fine with the biggest at perhaps 0.1g. I've manually picked out the majority of the lead and there's heaps of it. Then after drying it I've removed as much black sand as I can with a magnet. There are still a lot of little bits of what looks like sand but it seems to be as heavy as the gold. I started picking out the bigger red bits until I realised they were actually gold with a red stain.

This is 18.69g after five hours on the dryblower. It's performing much better since I slowed it down but the gold is so fine that a lot of it is no bigger than a grain of sand. The melt didn't reduce the weight as much as I thought it would so perhaps a lot of what looks like sand it really gold.

Looks as though you didnt get it hot enough or use a fluxing agent, Good plan is to remove all the magnetics first. Then add about the same weight in anhydrous Borax. and a fifth weight in bicarb soda, Then melt, pour into a angle iron mold greased with a bit of candle wax. Turn out the ingot into water while its still very hot and the slag should fall off. :perfect:

jethro said:
Moneybox said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1621851409_18.69g.jpg

Looks as though you didnt get it hot enough or use a fluxing agent, Good plan is to remove all the magnetics first. Then add about the same weight in anhydrous Borax. and a fifth weight in bicarb soda, Then melt, pour into a angle iron mold greased with a bit of candle wax. Turn out the ingot into water while its still very hot and the slag should fall off. :perfect:

Thank you jethro. Now that I'm going to do a little smelting I'll find some of those old species that we've brought home over the years. Some got lost and sold with the rock piles when we left Capel, some have made their way into garden beds, some are tucked into corners about the bus and I know Mrs M has a few hiding in clear view in the display cabinets. Then of course there are a few put aside for the dolly pot. With winter on our doorstep it's a great time to start playing with fire :)

⚠️ Warning - Restricted hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods use or discussion isn't endorsed by Forum Management. Individuals using any hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods do so at their own risk/s and need to ensure their own legislative compliance.
put a little mercury in it ?

numpty said:
put a little mercury in it ?

I have a bit coming for the really difficult tasks but I think it would only work with free gold. Some of this is attached to a rock, a tiny rock.

goody2shoes said:
You have it all over the place Phil :lol: :lol: :lol:

Think I live in the wrong spot :)

I've seen a photo of the spot where you live. Nothing wrong with that ;) Goody this is not gold you could find with a pan. I've extracted that 18g from about 30-40 tonnes of dirt.

Phil,
Make your self a small recirculating 12V sluice, pans are a PITA.
Plastic boxes from bunnings, connected together with an overflow pipe.
PVC pipe laying around
10mm square door seal for riffles
Couple of layers of shade cloth in bottom section to catch anything that escapes.
**Most important** A bottle of el cheapo dishwasher liquid (The blue solution used to shine your plates.)

1621933373_sluice_12v_bilge.jpg

pulverize it in a very small tight fitting dolly pot tube type of gizmo, might help break the crap off ?

or a small tumbler with some big ball bearings to knock off some of it.

Latest posts